Why is/was Shadowrun more popular than Cyberpunk?

MGibster

Legend
I loved that video in 1991 or whenever it came out. We actually larped Shadowrun in like... 1992 or something? I'm sure the folks at the cafe were nonplussed by my Orc Rigger look and my buddy's huge yellow wig as an Elf Decker. Glad/Sad I don't have pictures of that game...
I never knew that video existed until maybe 5 years ago. When would one have seen that in 1990-1991? I've got to assume it was produced for the expressed purpose of being shown at conventions, trade shows, and maybe sent to retail stores.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I've been racking my brains trying to think of any RPGs that don't have some form of magic or fantastical technologies that might as well be magic. Twilight 2000 and Delta Force: America Strikes Back! are the most mundane settings I can think of as as there's no magic or super science in either of them. I still think part of Shadowrun's success compared to Cyberpunk are due to some of the factors I mentioned, but at the end of the day I think you're right. A mundane hi-tech world just isn't as broadly appealing as fantasy. There's something about fantasy that makes it easy for people to dive into.
Paranoid! any military game did not have magic. As far as fantastical technology, well that was the GM doing, Top Secret, Star Trek, Traveller, they can push the envelope but no magic.

giant.robot

Adventurer
I've been racking my brains trying to think of any RPGs that don't have some form of magic or fantastical technologies that might as well be magic. Twilight 2000 and Delta Force: America Strikes Back! are the most mundane settings I can think of as as there's no magic or super science in either of them. I still think part of Shadowrun's success compared to Cyberpunk are due to some of the factors I mentioned, but at the end of the day I think you're right. A mundane hi-tech world just isn't as broadly appealing as fantasy. There's something about fantasy that makes it easy for people to dive into.
Twilight 2000 v2 did have Twilight Nightmares featuring aliens, dinosaurs, giant insects, and robotic killbots. While obviously not the core game, even T2K got into sci-fi scenarios.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I never knew that video existed until maybe 5 years ago. When would one have seen that in 1990-1991? I've got to assume it was produced for the expressed purpose of being shown at conventions, trade shows, and maybe sent to retail stores.
I believe that’s what it was used for when I tried to dig up info for it when I first saw it years ago.

Reynard

Legend
Mechanically, that is very much incorrect.

Thematically, mileage may vary, but you can do a lot of "go to location, go through hazardous encounters, get treasure" play.
Most of the fantasy things you can do in D&D you can do in Shadowrun without too much effort (although megadungeon style play might not work great) but it would be tough to do a lot of the real cyberpunk style stuff in D&D.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I worked comic and game retail from 1989-2006, and the store I worked at in 199x got it as a VHS tape. We ran it on a loop at the store for a while. Sold a lot of Shadowrun 1e. Even ran a campaign for a while, until we had to kick someone out. He came in the next day drunk and threatening violence - but that's a story for another day...

Thomas Shey

Legend
Yeah. I tend to lump magic and super techology into the fantastical realm. Cyberpunk and Traveller contain fantastical elements but are on the lower end of the spectrum compared to Star Trek.

That's what I thought. Trek in particular is full of Clarke Limit technology.

Remove ads