Why is/was Shadowrun more popular than Cyberpunk?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The combination of that and putting decking on the same time frame as everything else made a big part of the problems with it go away in my limited experience.

Well, the whole thing is still pretty baroque, but yes, it did get rid of a lot of the issues.

Reynard

Legend
That's a setting thing, not a rules thing.
Megacorps are just noble houses vying for control - it's just Game of Thrones with a bunch of LEDs stuck on 'em. :p
Sure, you can use D&D for autherpunk/magitech fantasy, but I don't think that is common. But yeah, you can play Arcane with D&D, and Arcane is basically a cyberpunk story wrapped in magitech.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Well, the whole thing is still pretty baroque, but yes, it did get rid of a lot of the issues.

To a degree, but I didn't find it unmanageable, and I hadn't run an SR game for, well, three editions at that point. It didn't seem out of keeping with the rest of the game anymore, at least.

MGibster

Legend
The truth is that a lot of cyberpunk tropes fit nicely in a variety of settings. The American west is one of the most cyberpunk settings out there. Corporations hiring goons to to break the legs of the competition and a bunch of wildcats using new technologies in ways nobody envisioned is just built into the setting.

Reynard

Legend
The truth is that a lot of cyberpunk tropes fit nicely in a variety of settings. The American west is one of the most cyberpunk settings out there. Corporations hiring goons to to break the legs of the competition and a bunch of wildcats using new technologies in ways nobody envisioned is just built into the setting.
I mean, there's a reason they use "white hat" and "black hat" to describe hackers...

Staffan

Legend
Mechanically, early SR is probably closest to Storyteller of anything I can think of (and as I recall there's a design connection why that is).

I only played it once but the old d6 Star Wars felt closer to SR. I vaguely remember pools of d6s.
Shadowrun is closer to Storyteller than to Star Wars/D6 except that it uses d6es instead of d10s. In Star Wars, you roll a handful of dice and sum them up – if you roll 5D, you'll get a result from 5 to 30 (barring the exploding wild die in 2e). In both Shadowrun and Storyteller, you roll a handful of dice and count how many are X or above – a roll using 5 dice will give you a result of 0 to 5 (again, ignoring that some versions give doubles or rerolls on certain numbers).

Thomas Shey

Legend
Shadowrun is closer to Storyteller than to Star Wars/D6 except that it uses d6es instead of d10s. In Star Wars, you roll a handful of dice and sum them up – if you roll 5D, you'll get a result from 5 to 30 (barring the exploding wild die in 2e). In both Shadowrun and Storyteller, you roll a handful of dice and count how many are X or above – a roll using 5 dice will give you a result of 0 to 5 (again, ignoring that some versions give doubles or rerolls on certain numbers).

Though you can make a different argument about D6 Legend.

But there are other things that resemble Storyteller in SR; the addition of successes to damage values, for example.

I've been racking my brains trying to think of any RPGs that don't have some form of magic or fantastical technologies that might as well be magic.
1697139905969.png

Remove ads