Why Jargon is Bad, and Some Modern Resources for RPG Theory

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
So, it's been a while, ... HAWT TAEK THURSDAY!

This is a fork of the "+" thread created by @overgeeked here. I am also using the suggestion in the thread to explicitly title this thread with (GNS) so people will know ahead of time that they can come here and discuss (or argue) about GNS Theory as much as they want.

That said, there are three parts to this post-

First, the statement that motivated me, and a brief description as to why typologies (putting people into little baskets) is a bad thing.

Second, a general overview of why jargon is considered bad.

Third, some resources for RPG theory that are helpful and aren't just all of us blabbering.

A. Buzzfeed told me my play agenda is Golden Retriever!

The primary motivation for starting this thread (other than people using the "+" thread to argue with the premise) was a post that described GNS theory and summed it up with this:

Are there more or less motivations than the three outlined? It's possible, but no one has really bothered expanding the categories.

I strongly disagree with that statement. Look, there's two types of people in this world-
1. Those who put people into arbitrary categories.
2. Those who don't put people into arbitrary categories.
3. The innumerate.

Ahem. Here's the thing- typologies .... putting things into groups ... classifying people as one thing as another ... it's immensely satisfying! We all understand it! Heck, that is the principle on which Buzzfeed was built. And before the internet (yes, there was a "before the internet"), that was the principle on which popular magazines, from People to Cosmopolitan, built all their magazine covers.
What Friend are you?
Which Avatar: Airbender character?
There's only four romantic types ... which one are you?
There are only three motivations for roleplaying- can you guess what letter perfectly describes what you want out of your roleplaying game?

It's all BS pop psychology, all the way down. But this isn't specific to GNS- it has always been this way, and will always be this way, in the hobbyist community. In fact, in academic research on RPG theory, this is pretty well-known! Evan Torner (among others) has documented this amateur theorizing, as it always follows the same path. First, the person provides their RPG theory in a semi-professional form ('zine, on-line BBS, personal blog, forum, wiki, etc.). Second, the theory continues the same debates we are all familiar with (e.g., realism versus playability; task resolution; game design and play advice etc.). The theory will almost always do so through the utilization of player and system typologies (what players enjoy about different games and how different games accommodate those preferences). Third, the author will claim to be a "big tent" and unbiased observer of the typologies seeking only to end the prior debates, while actually the author of the theory is looking to continue the debate and, more often than not, delegitimatize other methods of play through the seemingly-neutral goal of helping people design and play 'better.' Fourth, and finally, the author will inevitably make the act same points that were made years or decades ago.

So you can see this with Slimak in 1975. Glenn Blacow's Fourfold Way. ....in 1980. Don Miller in 1981. There are so many that it's not worth listing (Allston, Laws, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.). And this continued ... in the 80s (in smaller zines and more mainstream periodicals such as Dragon). In the 90s (usenet). The 00s (forums such as this one and the Forge, the internet in general), and continues today. But it's always the same-

"Players and their preferences/motivations fall into these categories. Therefore, game design must speak to these." And every time we see this, it's always to privilege one (or some) style(s) of play and to disparage other styles. And like most pop psychology typologies (and unlike consumer studies in CRPGs), there is never any empirical evidence.

But from a factual basis, people haven't stopped using typologies once the Forge went dark. To use the most obvious - there have been numerous typologies provided since then, many of which have been discussed here! However, despite the existence of these numerous different proposed amateur typologies, we still have the same debate.

This is the debate that we keep seeing:
A. "You can only be a Ross, Rachel, Joey, Chandler, Monica, or Phoebe."
B. "Well, I think that's wrong. No one is that! Every person is either a Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway, Archer, Burnham, or Pike."

This is the better debate:
A. "You can only be a Ross, Rachel, Joey, Chandler, Monica, or Phoebe."
B. "I'm not a Friends character. That's not helpful."

Now, with all of that out of the way (which I know will be uncontroversial) I will say that places and discussions can be incredibly helpful as a specific tool for game design. To the extent that a community forms to discuss better designs, task resolution, and indie games- that's a great thing! That is genuinely good. But that doesn't mean that the underlying typology provides any useful information about TTRPGs in general.

Finally, characterizing these design typologies as the only possible RPG theories does a great disservice to the people who want to talk about RPG theory when it comes to social issues- issues related to gender, race, class, ethnicity, sexuality, and other important factors that influence how people play and how design and norms affect inclusivity and openness within the community.

B. We have to backburner your annual until we've leveraged the pivot-to-video into actionable engagement with our disruptive client-centered approach.

A brief aside about jargon- which I've discussed before so I'm largely quoting myself.

Jargon (or any kind of specialized language... you can put in Thieves' Cant if you want) is both helpful and unhelpful. If you think of any specialized field- medicine, law, banking, computer science, and so on, it will have jargon. Jargon can serve a very useful purpose- it can allow people with a shared interest in something technical or specialized to describe something quickly without having to use regular language each time and "re-invent" the wheel. At its best, jargon is a linguistic shortcut used by people with a shared interest.

Of course, there are other instances of jargon as well, outside of technical fields. Think about almost any area- when there is a shared group, there is often a shared vocabulary. This gets down to the smallest groups- I am sure that all of us have friend groups, and in those groups we have verbal shortcuts from shared events or people we have known! If everyone remembers that terrible night in Toledo, then it would be normal for someone in the group to say, "We don't want another Toledo" and for everyone to nod in agreement. (I am sure that someone is getting ready to start typing, Shakra, when the walls fell.)

The trouble with jargon, however, is that while it can help in-groups communicate more effectively, it is also incredibly off-putting to other people; in fact, it is can be considered both a feature and a bug. If you've ever spoken to a professional (a doctor, a lawyer, a banker) who can't be bothered to explain things and "dumb it down" for a "mere layman" or dealt with a close group of friends that talks entirely in "in-jokes" and doesn't explain them, you understand what this means. When you have invented terms, people will use them as a weapon to exclude others- "Oh, you don't understand what I mean by XXXXXX? Well, obviously you just don't get it."

Given that the people here are not using agreed-upon academic terms, but are using terms invented by hobbyists for other hobbyists, many disagreements about RPG theory are just arguments over what jargon is being used. "Oh, that's not a railroad. That's player agency!" Or, "That's not skilled play, because other types of play have skill." Or "My game has a strong story component, so it's Story Now, right?" And so on.

As you probably notice, this problem is most acute because most of these terms are borrowing and appropriating from actual language for slightly different purposes; to use less-loaded examples, a lot of people get confused by legal terms like "actual malice" (which has nothing to do with malice) or medical terms (like then the doctor says your test result is positive, and the patient replies, 'Positive, that's great!").

So to go back to the main point- yes, jargon does have its place, but people who are used to the jargon usually do not realize that it can be incredibly off-putting. As a general rule, when people are saying that they don't want to engage in the jargon, that's not an attack on everything you hold dear- it means that they usually can't get an entry point to the conversation because the terms are obfuscating what is being discussed. At that point, you can either argue about using jargon, or try and explain the concepts.

C. Momma Snarf always told me, "Snarf, if you can't be a part of the solution, become a part of the problem."

Following are some resources for people that would like to learn more about RPG theory. These are from a prior post I did, as well as some posted in the prior "+" thread. I will start with weblinks, and then include some books.

Web resources:

1. Great roundup of web-based resources at Black & Green Games. I highly recommend this collection.
2. Role-playing Game Studies. This is an academic book, but it is interesting and has the majority of chapters available to the public on-line at the link.
3. Playground Worlds. Some ideas, with a strong emphasis from the Nordic community, available on-line.
4. The Forge :: Articles (start here: The Forge :: GNS and Other Matters of Role-playing Theory if you're looking for specific discussions on GNS)
5. Six Cultures of Play (It's another typology attempt)
7. Ants, Spiders, and Bees. An interesting look at RPG theory ... best of all, it references Dworkin and Hart, which I can always get behind!

Books:
1. The Elusive Shift. Jon Peterson's book. Available at amazon and others.
2. Tabletop RPG Design in Theory and Practice at the Forge, 2001–2012. William J. White. Available at amazon and others (expensive). Best academic work on the Forge, for those interested.
3. Designers & Dragons. Shannon Applecline. (I think some of this has been superseded by newer material from Peterson, but sill good). Available with a free TSR section of 100 pages at evilhat.
4. Second Person: Role-Playing and Story in Games and Playable Media. Pat Harrigan. Available at amazon and others.

Aldarc

Legend
I agree that jargon can represent a barrier to entry. However, what sometimes this point sidesteps how much of a barrier jargon actually represents. A lot of jargon is gradually absorbed through participation in a subculture or field over time. But there are often resources out there, especially in this day and age, where people can use their Google-Fu to find out what the jargon means. It's not like you need a law degree to look up and understand what a "hexcrawl game" is.

Outside of this small bubble of a hobby, there is a tremendous amount of jargon floating around in the field of video games, jargon used to describe different genres of games, jargon used within game-specific communities (e.g., Call of Duty, etc.), jargon used with types of games (e.g., MOBA: Jungler, Bruiser, Carry, etc.), broader gaming communities (e.g., Speed Runners, eSports, etc.), or within game design communities (e.g., clipping, FPS, bots, Easter Egg, Whales, etc.), or the entire market (e.g., DLC, Pay-to-Win, microtransactions, etc.).

As you say, a lot of this was born within the hobby rather than on an academic level. But that is often the way of things: Hobbyists -> Hobby Companies -> Hobby Academics. Hobbyists are processing and discussing trends in the hobby with far greater alacrity and dispersion than academics. So over against what some have said about jargon, I don't think that jargon represents Ivory Tower thinking. IME, it's often hobbyists grappling with discussions in the hobby and its various subcultures.

Jargon is a part of education and community-engagement. It can be off-putting if you have little interest in it at a certain level, but as you learn and engage these communities more and more, you learn the jargon, whether conscientiously or not.

Snarf Zagyg

Nice write up Snarf. Out of honest curiosity, when does "...you can either argue about using jargon, or try and explain the concepts." not happen? Is there a third or fourth thing folks are doing that is unproductive?

Snarf's Seven Amazing Secrets to Productively Dealing With Jargon - You Won't Believe the Last One!!!!!

Like that? :)

So, I tend to have a particular view of jargon (technical terms, etc.), as:
1. I require jargon to accomplish my day-to-day life.
2. I am also constantly forced to translate jargon into layman terms in order to communicate concepts to people that are unfamiliar with the jargon.

So I understand both the benefits and perils of jargon. I would say that almost every approach related to jargon in TTRPG discussion is not productive, other than explaining it when asked.

I get that it's annoying, especially when there are constantly new people coming in that aren't familiar with the terms you are using. But people have a choice- either evangelize by explanation, or choose to alienate. if you are having a conversation with people familiar with, and conversant with, those terms, that's not an issue- I would even say that if a thread (or forum) is set up to discuss a specific theory, it would be rude for people unfamiliar with that jargon to keep coming in and arguing about the terms used- just like if you were joining a discussion with medical professionals, it would be weird to insist that the doctors stop using myocardial infarction because you prefer heart attack.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Snarf's Seven Amazing Secrets to Productively Dealing With Jargon - You Won't Believe the Last One!!!!!

Like that? :)
Good enough for me!
So, I tend to have a particular view of jargon (technical terms, etc.), as:
1. I require jargon to accomplish my day-to-day life.
2. I am also constantly forced to translate jargon into layman terms in order to communicate concepts to people that are unfamiliar with the jargon.

So I understand both the benefits and perils of jargon. I would say that almost every approach related to jargon in TTRPG discussion is not productive, other than explaining it when asked.

I get that it's annoying, especially when there are constantly new people coming in that aren't familiar with the terms you are using. But people have a choice- either evangelize by explanation, or choose to alienate. if you are having a conversation with people familiar with, and conversant with, those terms, that's not an issue- I would even say that if a thread (or forum) is set up to discuss a specific theory, it would be rude for people unfamiliar with that jargon to keep coming in and arguing about the terms used- just like if you were joining a discussion with medical professionals, it would be weird to insist that the doctors stop using myocardial infarction because you prefer heart attack.
Oh that is so popular.

One thing I notice is what I guess I would call shortcutting. In some of your examples I think that is described as in-grouping. Folks use jargon as a way to say "you are out of your element Donny". They just dont want/care if you participate in the conversation. Until you can fight your way in and prove you can hang, buzz off. The other shortcut method is trying to shut down any jargon/theory discussion because you dont like it. Instead of addressing the theory on its own terms, folks pick some loose thread and unravel it conveniently. Sometimes they attack the author for being a jerk and claim it makes the whole theory bad. Their aim is to just stop the use completely without having to do any of the work required to actually discuss it.

To be fair, it is a discussion board and not a graduate level course or dissertation piece. Folks dont have to go to great lengths to include everyone and/or explain why a theory is dated or poorly constructed. So, I appreciate your advice and try and follow it myself, though, I do expect people to be people.

Snarf Zagyg

Jargon is a part of education and community-engagement. It can be off-putting if you have little interest in it at a certain level, but as you learn and engage these communities more and more, you learn the jargon, whether conscientiously or not.

I think that is accurate; I also think that people that are within a community that uses jargon often forget exactly how off-putting that jargon can be to people outside of that community.

I would also say that for some people (not all, but some) the fact that the jargon is exclusive and off-putting is a feature, not a bug. There is a sense of mastery of the jargon, and the ability to deploy it marginalize other voices. Whether it's the "cool kids" or the "gatekeeper art critic" or "the tech bros selling NFTs" ... it can be used to silence dissent and build in-group identity.

Again, jargon is not per se bad. But it's not necessarily good, either.

Aldarc

Legend
I think that is accurate; I also think that people that are within a community that uses jargon often forget exactly how off-putting that jargon can be to people outside of that community.

I would also say that for some people (not all, but some) the fact that the jargon is exclusive and off-putting is a feature, not a bug. There is a sense of mastery of the jargon, and the ability to deploy it marginalize other voices. Whether it's the "cool kids" or the "gatekeeper art critic" or "the tech bros selling NFTs" ... it can be used to silence dissent and build in-group identity.

Again, jargon is not per se bad. But it's not necessarily good, either.
I agree, though I am not a fan of those who set about creating jargon for the purpose of gatekeeping. I prefer more descriptive jargon. When looking at video games, for example, I find the jargon helpful for discerning the sorts of games I like playing or recommending to others. People may say, "Hey I like games like X, Y, and Z," and they happen to all be "point and click adventure games" or "character RPGs," then having that jargon available makes it easier for me to recommend similar games to other people or teach them about the jargon so they can look up those types of games on their own. Or they may say, "Hey I like CRPGs like A, B, or C but not ones like D, E, and F..." and there is jargon in place that may say that the former are "Turn Based CRPGs" while the latter are "Real Time With Pause." The jargon exists not only to discuss the games and the game hobby, but also to help inform the consumer.

I do sometimes find it a bit frustrating, however, that some people pretend that D&D doesn't have its own set of jargon. Jargon sometimes gets depicted as something that only applies to "foreign gaming subcultures" rather than D&D and its kin. But D&D has a tremendous amount of jargon in its own right. I encountered this when I was teaching my partner and other newcomers to play D&D. There was a lot of standard game jargon that flew over their heads. It was weird but invaluable because I had forgotten how I had been in a similar position when I first learned to play D&D about twenty years ago and being in the position of being bombarded with "D&Disms." It was a bit like learning a foreign language and encountering cultural idioms.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I agree, though I am not a fan of those who set about creating jargon for the purpose of gatekeeping. I prefer more descriptive jargon. When looking at video games, for example, I find the jargon helpful for discerning the sorts of games I like playing or recommending to others. People may say, "Hey I like games like X, Y, and Z," and they happen to all be "point and click adventure games" or "character RPGs," then having that jargon available makes it easier for me to recommend similar games to other people or teach them about the jargon so they can look up those types of games on their own. Or they may say, "Hey I like CRPGs like A, B, or C but not ones like D, E, and F..." and there is jargon in place that may say that the former are "Turn Based CRPGs" while the latter are "Real Time With Pause." The jargon exists not only to discuss the games and the game hobby, but also to help inform the consumer.

I do sometimes find it a bit frustrating, however, that some people pretend that D&D doesn't have its own set of jargon. Jargon sometimes gets depicted as something that only applies to "foreign gaming subcultures" rather than D&D and its kin. But D&D has a tremendous amount of jargon in its own right. I encountered this when I was teaching my partner and other newcomers to play D&D. There was a lot of standard game jargon that flew over their heads. It was weird but invaluable because I had forgotten how I had been in a similar position when I first learned to play D&D about twenty years ago and being in the position of being bombarded with "D&Disms." It was a bit like learning a foreign language and encountering cultural idioms.
One thing I have noticed about TTRPGs is how there is a severe lack of degree in discussions. The above example on video games is perfect for what I mean. Folks do discuss video games intellectually and with theory. They also talk about them generally by category on a laymen level. The two dont often butt heads. Folks might consider Mass Effect as a straight up RPG, others might consider it a first person shooter, and some dont really care. The groups are aware of each other, but dont really make it a big deal. Where as TTRPGs if somebody is like "oh you are talking about a story now game" turns into a 50 page discussion on how thats a right/wrong statement and if story now even exists or not, and if its offensive in its origin. There is no separation of degree in TTRPG discussion and its kind of exhausting.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
So you can see this with Slimak in 1975. Glenn Blacow's Fourfold Way. ....in 1980. Don Miller in 1981. There are so many that it's not worth listing (Allston, Laws, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.). And this continued ... in the 80s (in smaller zines and more mainstream periodicals such as Dragon). In the 90s (usenet). The 00s (forums such as this one and the Forge, the internet in general), and continues today. But it's always the same-
I was just reflecting that people were doing a number of humorous variants on this when I was coming up and voraciously reading gaming magazines in the late 80s into early 90s.

For example, Dragon 124 (from 1987) has "Front-End Alignments" for players.
Chaotic Crybaby
Chaotic Diehard
Chaotic Everywhere
Chaotic Hot-Shot
Chaotic Stupid
Chaotic Suicidal
Lawful Bored
Lawful Goody-Goody
Lawful Idiot
Lawful Ignored
(L)awful Liar
Lawful Serious
Neutral Absent
Neutral Confused
Neutral Dietosser
Neutral Montyhaul
Neutral Puppet
Neutral Self-Centered
Neutral Woundwailer

Dragon 128 has the U 2 Kan Earn Big Bux personality survey from the Greyhawk Institute for Adventurous Neophyte Training, with questions like:

1. You've just arrived in a new town. You immediately: a. sigh in relief. b. find the nearest tavern. c. strip down to your underwear. d. do all of the above, to start with.

2. Wizards are: a. snappy dressers. b. valuable allies. c. awful darn smart. d. cute on the end of a spear.

3. What's the best way to test for trapdoors? a. With eyes shut. b. Make the half-ogre go first. c. Jump up and down a lot. d. Burn the place to the ground.

4. It's late at night, the moon is full, and you notice that your partner is turning hairy. What do you do? a. Compliment him on his coiffure. b. Whip out the scissors and wolvesbane. c. Check your pack for doggie chow. d. Join him.

5. A portable hole: a. a day keeps the ogre away. b. comes in handy in the king's treasury. c. What? d. holds a lot of beer

6. Given the choice, you'd rather have: a. lint-free chain mail. b. 1,000,000 gold pieces. c. a chocolate-chip cookie. d. a sword and a major land war.

White Wolf magazine #42 (March '94) had a more succinct list of types of Vampire players:
  • Person in Black (PIB)
  • Illuminated Weirdo (IW)
  • Poseur (Poseur)
  • Creepy Vampire Nut (CVN)
  • Ordinary Gaming Geek (OGG)

"Players and their preferences/motivations fall into these categories. Therefore, game design must speak to these." And every time we see this, it's always to privilege one (or some) style(s) of play and to disparage other styles. And like most pop psychology typologies (and unlike consumer studies in CRPGs), there is never any empirical evidence.
I'm trying to remember how much player surveying WotC did to build their Magic player psychographic profiles, but apparently they do have some weight in design.

Timmy/Tammy, Johnny/Jenny, and Spike. As well as the aesthetic types of Mel and Vorthos.

Aldarc

Legend
One thing I have noticed about TTRPGs is how there is a severe lack of degree in discussions. The above example on video games is perfect for what I mean. Folks do discuss video games intellectually and with theory. They also talk about them generally by category on a laymen level. The two dont often butt heads. Folks might consider Mass Effect as a straight up RPG, others might consider it a first person shooter, and some dont really care. The groups are aware of each other, but dont really make it a big deal. Where as TTRPGs if somebody is like "oh you are talking about a story now game" turns into a 50 page discussion on how thats a right/wrong statement and if story now even exists or not, and if its offensive in its origin. There is no separation of degree in TTRPG discussion and its kind of exhausting.
At the risk of inviting you to swat at a hornet's nest, I am curious as to why you think that is the case? Would you perhaps like to speculate on what could account for this difference between TTRPG and video game communities?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases