D&D 5E Why Lichdom?

Coroc

Hero
Because a mage is not interested in worldly delights but in learning and science and knowing all secrets.
Blime my working colleague is one of this guys IRL. Well, not exactly, he is into electronics. But i would dare to bet this guy is still a virgin being already 40 years old. And he still lives with his mother. If someone would offer lichdom as a means to create more electronic circuitry without needing to sleep or eat, i could imagine he would do it.

Coroc

Hero
Ah, i just noticed i did not give a super precise answer to your thread: the clone might not be up to date in knowledge during activation, a lich allows the better data security but without rollbacks.

Oofta

Legend
Like [MENTION=6895991]Coroc[/MENTION] said, a clone is just another body. A frail, mortal body that could easily be destroyed. Become a lich, secure your phylactery and you are effectively immortal. Besides, you get rid of that pesky need to eat, sleep, and all those other distractions.

Because a mage is not interested in worldly delights but in learning and science and knowing all secrets.
Blime my working colleague is one of this guys IRL. Well, not exactly, he is into electronics. But i would dare to bet this guy is still a virgin being already 40 years old. And he still lives with his mother. If someone would offer lichdom as a means to create more electronic circuitry without needing to sleep or eat, i could imagine he would do it.

That seems like a personality disorder rather than a reasoned decision made by a genius intellect. True, undeath has some advantages but it has significant disadvantages as well. A phylactry offers high security from permadeath, but so does hiding a large number of backup clones.

Dausuul

Legend
First and foremost, the lich form is much more powerful. You get a boatload of immunities and resistances, legendary actions, legendary resistance, and assorted minor powers like paralyzing touch and frightening gaze.

Second, I can imagine some mages seeing the lich's undeath as a positive good: You are no longer distracted from your pursuit of power by all those pesky biological needs and drives. It takes a particular twisted mindset to see things this way, of course.

First and foremost, the lich form is much more powerful. You get a boatload of immunities and resistances, legendary actions, legendary resistance, and assorted minor powers like paralyzing touch and frightening gaze.

Second, I can imagine some mages seeing the lich's undeath as a positive good: You are no longer distracted from your pursuit of power by all those pesky biological needs and drives. It takes a particular twisted mindset to see things this way, of course.

Much agreed. Interesting that most of D&D's iconic evil mages chose the Lich route over serial-cloning because the seduction of flesh over eternity has it's own allures.

ccs

41st lv DM
Because insane badguy....

It's like asking why a James Bond villain invests incredible resources to crazy schemes.

Olrox17

Hero
Because liches are powerful.

[sblock] rk5aNHxaOJTn5nGrmoz.gif[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases