D&D 5E Why Lichdom?

Mirtek

Hero
The soul feeding requirement was added to give them a reason to be more active. IMHO removing one of the most compelling aspects for chosing lichdom over other forms of undead aka not having to give a ### about the world and be content to retreat for centuries and more to your studies until no one even remembers you once existed.

But obviously this makes liches too boring as undead, as they would just hole up and never bother anyone.

IMHO this makes them lose a lot of their specialness. When a lich who has no real need to do so comes out of his seclution it's much more interesting to find out what stirred him up then merely "hm, he must be hungry for a soul again"

neogod22

Explorer
The soul feeding requirement was added to give them a reason to be more active. IMHO removing one of the most compelling aspects for chosing lichdom over other forms of undead aka not having to give a ### about the world and be content to retreat for centuries and more to your studies until no one even remembers you once existed.

But obviously this makes liches too boring as undead, as they would just hole up and never bother anyone.

IMHO this makes them lose a lot of their specialness. When a lich who has no real need to do so comes out of his seclution it's much more interesting to find out what stirred him up then merely "hm, he must be hungry for a soul again"
I agree. Usually when they come out, its to try a new spell, set some elaborate plan in motion, or just to cause some chaos, then disappear again (Lorlock). Unless they are one of the ones that hide in plain sight (Azalin, Szass Tam).

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Cyrinishad

Explorer
I'm going to jump back into this thread to remind everyone that the soul-feeding requirement for Liches has been around since the 1st edition of the game...
It is referenced specifically in the 1st edition OGB, as well as the 2nd edition Planescape Monstrous Compendium I... It is not a new addition, it is a long established part of Lich Lore.

neogod22

Explorer
I'm going to jump back into this thread to remind everyone that the soul-feeding requirement for Liches has been around since the 1st edition of the game...
It is referenced specifically in the 1st edition OGB, as well as the 2nd edition Planescape Monstrous Compendium I... It is not a new addition, it is a long established part of Lich Lore.
I didn't have the Planescape monstrous compendium so I missed that. It wasn't in any of the ones before that in 2nd edition. I remember before they said they have to recharge but they weren't specific on the details.

Dausuul

Legend

What is the OGB? I can't recall a supplement with those initials.

Now that you remind me, I do recall that Monstrous Compendium entry, though... if I remember right, liches were required to eat larvae (the souls of Neutral Evil dead, the Hades equivalent of lemures or manes).

neogod22

Explorer
What is the OGB? I can't recall a supplement with those initials.

Now that you remind me, I do recall that Monstrous Compendium entry, though... if I remember right, liches were required to eat larvae (the souls of Neutral Evil dead, the Hades equivalent of lemures or manes).
That must've been for Liches living in the outer planes then.

Dausuul

Legend
That must've been for Liches living in the outer planes then.

No, it was in the entry for "Larva."

*hunts up a PDF*

One of the themes of the Outer Planes is that the Lower Planes exploit their flow of dead souls. In the Nine Hells, they are cannon fodder; in the Abyss, they are snacks; and in Hades, they are currency, to be traded and exported all over the place. "Powerful liches" were listed among the buyers, with the stated reason being that they "feed off" the larvae's energies to maintain their undeath.

So, not quite as definitive as 5E; the word "powerful" leaves open the possibility that not all liches do this, and it's not clear whether the liches destroy the larvae or merely use them as a renewable power source. Still, it does confirm that feeding on souls has been part of lich lore for a long time.

Last edited:

neogod22

Explorer
No, it was in the entry for "Larva."

One of the themes of the Outer Planes is that the Lower Planes exploit their flow of dead souls. In the Nine Hells, they are cannon fodder; in the Abyss, they are snacks; and in Hades, they are currency, to be traded and exported all over the place. Liches were listed among the buyers.
I remember that, and that makes sense for immortal creatures looking for souls to do experiments are, but it never said it was a requirement for anything. Just as you said, they among the creatures that buys them.

Dausuul

Legend
I remember that, and that makes sense for immortal creatures looking for souls to do experiments are, but it never said it was a requirement for anything. Just as you said, they among the creatures that buys them.

It specified that the liches used the souls to maintain their undeath. (See post above, edited for more detail after reading up.)

A lich who eats larva wouldn't necessarily be active in the world, just every so once in a while summon a night hag and trade something (like some magic doodad or knowledge) for a snack. Of course, even smart wizards who want to be liches don't really think how long forever is, and sooner or later they might run out of knowledge or doodads that night hags care about, and then they might have to search for alternative sources of souls. Of course, the lich might summon the hag, kill her, and steal the larva anyway, but sooner or later (probably sooner), the hags will decide to do something about that, and there are bribable things on the Lower Planes that even a lich might want to avoid a fight with....

Remove ads