D&D 5E Why my friends hate talking to me about 5e.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
since that is a 5ft sq of terrain the bad guys can dance around them unless you are in a 5ft hallway... not very helpful (unless all the PCs are useing multi actions to cover an area)
But doing that will cost additional movement, which will prevent them from keeping up with you. It doesn’t matter if they go around the hazard, it still did its job of slowing them down.

But doing that will cost additional movement, which will prevent them from keeping up with you. It doesn’t matter if they go around the hazard, it still did its job of slowing them down.
how diagnal cost no extra....
use this 30x15 example
XXXXXX
XXXXXX
XXXXXX

XXXXXX
MMMMMM
XXXXXX
straight line cost 30ft

XXXXXX
MMMXMM
XXXMXX
going around a 5ft sq with 2 diagonal movements cost 30ft

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
These are the sorts of things you think about when you play in a game where you regularly need to retreat. But when you’re used to a game where every fight is to the death and the PCs are pretty much expected to win every time? No, you’re not really thinking about contingencies, and you’re certainly not packing ball bearings or caltrops.
That's the thing. I don't want to play a game where every fight is to the death and the PCs are expected to win every time.

Ah. Yeah, use alternating 5ft and 10ft diagonals.
oh... so you admit the system doesn't work and change the system... that doesn't seem to help that they system isn't working... It's like saying "Yeah every car we sell doesn't have a stearing wheel...just make a stearing wheel"

Edit: your advice is flawed if your advice requires a house rule to change the basics of movement.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
oh... so you admit the system doesn't work and change the system... that doesn't seem to help that they system isn't working... It's like saying "Yeah every car we sell doesn't have a stearing wheel...just make a stearing wheel"

Edit: your advice is flawed if your advice requires a house rule to change the basics of movement.
Alternating diagonals is an optional rule straight out of the DMG (or maybe it was XgtE?) And we’re already discussing house-ruling so this seems like a silly position to take. Yes, if you want to change the gameplay of 5e, you have to do a bit of houseruling. Obviously.

Medic

Neutral Evil
I guess it depends... I would say 1/3 of the time the PCs can set the ground work and have advantages and pick teh battle field, and the other 2/3 of the time they mostly happen where and when they happen...

since that is a 5ft sq of terrain the bad guys can dance around them unless you are in a 5ft hallway... not very helpful (unless all the PCs are useing multi actions to cover an area)

yes Spell as usuale are the answer... but if you can web the enemy you don't need to run from them

if they had there would be no reason to disengage... I would not call that "an encounter to run from" as much as "flavor text we went around" so not much help... if you are already in melee

if you are in a 5ft hallway or smaller
Ball bearings cover a 10 foot square, so no, you cannot dance around them.

Alternating diagonals is an optional rule straight out of the DMG (or maybe it was XgtE?) And we’re already discussing house-ruling so this seems like a silly position to take. Yes, if you want to change the gameplay of 5e, you have to do a bit of houseruling. Obviously.
but just ssaying "Use the equipment fo the the PHB" isn't helpful becuse without the house rule they do nothing... when I told you they do nothing unless you are in a 5ft hallway you acted like I was wrong...

Remove ads