D&D 5E Why no 16-18s allowed in Point Buy?

Paraxis

Explorer
Just expand the table, I will increase point buy back up to 30 like in the last playtest and expand the table to allow 16-18 point ability scores if the players want them.

16 = 12 pts
17 = 15 pts
18 = 19 pts

Natural progression, each ability score costs a number of extra points equal to its modifier so the 16 costs 3 points more than a 15, 17 costs 3 points more than 16, and an 18 costs 4 points more than a 17.

I always like rolling 3D6 in order and dealing with whatever drops. As long as whatever drops is awesome stats that make me a young god!

The eternal contradiction between the macho-internet-boasting-smugness of 3d6-in-order and the reality of it providing characters who are almost never "young gods" is unceasingly amusing.

Lalato

Adventurer
As noted above, back in the day... We didn't keep the crap stats. We just re-rolled. I'm not proud of it, but I was 11 years old.

As an adult, I think I can handle a character with crap stats. I know a thing or two about how to survive. Well, at least how to not die in the first encounter. It's not macho boasting, but it is a different kind of fun.

If you don't want to play crap stats, use point buy. That's what it's for. Rolling umpteen kajillion sets of 4d6 just seems silly when you can just get the stats you want by picking them.

That said, I played in a high powered game once where the DM wanted all the players to have amazing stats, but instead of using point buy we had to roll 4d6 re-roll 1s and 2s. I still ended up with mediocre stats, so he just have me a free 17. Silliness!

At any rate, play what you like.

As an adult, I think I can handle a character with crap stats. I know a thing or two about how to survive. Well, at least how to not die in the first encounter. It's not macho boasting, but it is a different kind of fun.

If you don't want to play crap stats, use point buy. That's what it's for. Rolling umpteen kajillion sets of 4d6 just seems silly when you can just get the stats you want by picking them.

That said, I played in a high powered game once where the DM wanted all the players to have amazing stats, but instead of using point buy we had to roll 4d6 re-roll 1s and 2s. I still ended up with mediocre stats, so he just have me a free 17. Silliness!

At any rate, play what you like.

Bolded direct contradiction. ;)

Rolling ten sets takes under a fraction of a second with a program sooooo...

Also the post I was responding to was either satirical or "macho internet boasting", as are some others here. :) Tons of people get very macho and pose-y about 3d6-in-order. It's hysterically nerdy.

Stat inflation occurs but is almost entirely the result of psychology, not game design. 3E, for example, plays just fine at 22 to 25 point buy (for example); 4E and 5E look to be just peachy with a default array.*

"Low" stats have never prevented anyone from effectively playing a sexy shoeless god of war, except in their own minds.

*Provided this applies fairly to all players. It sucks being the guy using 25-point buy when the guy next to you at the table "rolled" his three 18s and three 12s.

This will only work if we assume that the DMs will make players keep the first character they roll. In my experience that just doesn't happen. The other problem is the internet has taught me that people will cheat when they roll characters.

I look forward to someone asking wizards what happens with their attribute boosts they get from leveling when the character's attributes are already maxed out at 20.

I kind of like that this edition doesn't treat the DM as if he/she isn't there.

Which is why it should be more like "point buy or roll. If you roll a character with less than a +5 total bonus you can point buy to a +4 bonus - with possibly diminishing rerolls."

There's no "be happy playing" because as we see from OP, some people aren't happy that they have a human with STR 16 making him (one of) the strongest human 1st level character - its still not high enough.

If a 16 that can be raised higher later on isn't high enough to play then such an individual can go play with grade school kids, and make characters with all 18's. Such a game would be a much better fit for that player's maturity level.

Mod Note: While folks are welcome to like their own style of play, insulting others for theirs is not acceptable. We expect you to show *respect* for each other, not disdain. If you can't, you're going to end up taking it elsewhere, one way or another. So, please, keep it civil. Thanks. ~Umbran

When I was 11 years old we re-rolled stats like a mofo! But I'm not 11 years old anymore (Yikes, I'll be 44 soon!), and I haven't met an adult DM that would allow such silly shenanigans. If you decide to roll, you roll in front of the DM, and you keep what you get. The only time re-rolls are allowed is if you roll something that is unplayable (as in the sum of your bonuses is negative). That said, I'm more than willing to play a character with negative bonuses... just to see how long the poor bastard can survive.

Amen. Its a game. Sometimes you start in a luckier position than other times. Making the best of what you get is part of the fun of playing.

Keep re-rolling stats until you get awesome ones? Do these DMs also let players reroll attacks until they crit and then reroll damage until it's max? :hmm:

Of course not. THAT would be cheating! :erm:

I've had players that if they didn't roll something awesome and they were nit allowed to Errol, basically they did not take the character seriously. Either having him act like an idiot, or with a clear death wish, etc. overall just becoming a disruption to the game. So it can just be easier for the sake if table harmony if it's a friend and not just a gaming buddy to let the re roll happen.

Or send such an idiot to the children's table and spare the mature adults the "pleasure" of his/her company.

Last edited by a moderator:

Is there an edition that does this?

3E and 4E

The default chargen for these systems method is point buy. Everyone gets the same starter kit and characters can be built largely away from the table.

5E provides the same option for those that want it but the very best stat possibilities are reserved for those willing to take a chance with the dice and give generation (instead of building) a try.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Hmmmm.

Big fan of 4d6 drop lowest, arrange to taste (since the 80's).

I wonder though, as a standard, should I;

a. "Player, you may roll 4d6 style, and if your character is not acceptable you must use point buy"

or

b. "Player, you may use point buy, or take your chances with 4d6 style, keeping what you get".

Maybe let them use 4d6 style twice...so they can choose character 1, 2, or 3.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
3E and 4E

The default chargen for these systems method is point buy. Everyone gets the same starter kit and characters can be built largely away from the table.

Actually, the default method of ability generation in 3e is rolling 4d6 drop lowest. It's the only method appearing in the 3.5 PH - the point buy and standard array methods being well nestled within the DMG as alternative methods.

Remove ads