Why no "Mass Spell" feat?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
A Reach Spelled spell still has no target, it has an effect, a ray. ;)

That's a good point :)

Mass Spell wouldn't see Reach Spell.

That one... I believe you, but I'm not sure where the effects of stacking Metamagic are spelled out. It's implied by the footnote to Maximize Spell - is it explicitly stated anywhere?

Does that make something like a Ray-to-Coned, Reached Cure Light Wounds impossible?

That's a shame :(

-Hyp.

MythandLore

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

That one... I believe you, but I'm not sure where the effects of stacking Metamagic are spelled out. It's implied by the footnote to Maximize Spell - is it explicitly stated anywhere?

Does that make something like a Ray-to-Coned, Reached Cure Light Wounds impossible?

That's a shame :(

-Hyp.

It's not a ray, the same way magic missle is not a ray and finger of death is not a ray.
Even though you still need a range touch attack to use it.

Which makes me think, could you make a meta-magic feat that lets you auto hit a range touch attack?

Last edited:

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

Heal -> Mass Heal : +2
Haste -> Mass Haste : +3
Suggestion -> Mass Suggestion : +3
Invisibility -> Mass Invisibility : +5
Charm -> Mass Charm : +7

Taking a look at that, I have to say that it seems more trouble than it's worth to write up a "Mass Spell" feat. Basically, it's a case-by-case basis, so the write-up would have to include a list of all the spells that would or wouldn't work with it.

Far simpler to accomplish new "Mass" spells through Spell Research. Pitch the new spell to the DM, with a suggested level appropriate to the specific spell in question, and voila! you've got yourself Mass Shocking Grasp.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I've had a "Mass" metamagic spell in my campaign for about a year now. It just seemed like an obvious thing to do.

I went for +3 levels for the effect. Mass Charm should be compared to Charm Monster, not Charm Person, so it is only +3 levels like haste and suggestion. Mass heal is undervalued IMO and mass invisibility has a much greater area, so it is like an mass, expanded spell (180' apart instead of 30' apart)

My version looks pretty much like this:

Mass metamagic
benefits: A "massed" spell affects one or more creatures, no two of which can be more than 30' apart. Maximum of 1 target per caster level. A spell with personal range, an area effect or ray effect cannot be enhanced with this metamagic feat.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Hypersmurf said:

Waste of time - you'd be better off using Sound Burst. It's like a Mass Shocking Grasp and a Mass Hold Monster in one!

Ummm. 1d8+level vs 1d8 damage?

And since Sound Burst only *might* stun something for 1 round (during which it is not helpless), while hold monster paralyses something helpless for numerous rounds, I think you are definitely overstating the point here a little!

:D

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
And since Sound Burst only *might* stun something for 1 round (during which it is not helpless), while hold monster paralyses something helpless for numerous rounds, I think you are definitely overstating the point here a little!

I know :)

It was a reference to another thread...

-Hyp.

Remove ads