Why no "Mass Spell" feat?

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
We've now got spells for Mass Fly, and Mass Haste, and so on. Why are these listed as independent spells? Would it have broken game balance if they had instead listed a "Mass Spell" feat? (i.e., a metamagic feat that turns a one-target touch spell into a one-target-per-level spell)

fba827

Adventurer
I do believe someone developed a metamagic feat that does just that in the house rules forum about a month (maybe two) back ...

(It started as a thread from a guy who wanted to make a new spell called "Mass Bull Strength" and that just lended into a couple people developing the aforementioned metamagic feat.

I think it was commented in that thread that a mass metamagic feat could get unwieldy if it isn't monitorred carefully. After all, a Mass Speak with Animals is perhaps of the same caliber or effect that a Mass Bull's Strength since Speak with Animals really only relies on the interaction of two (and only two) creatures - the target and the animal being spoken with where as a Bull's Strength affects the target and anyone he enforces his strength upon - even that is not limited in any manner (where as speak with aniamls is limited by creature type of animal).

I'm rambling now and offering no help, so I'll end this post now :)

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Though such a feat would also open the door for other spells, such as Mass Harm.

*shudder*

I think I'll leave the Mass Spell feat to other, braver souls...

Last edited:

Cl1mh4224rd

First Post
Kesh said:
Just imagine the hell 'Mass Harm' would wreak, and I think you'll see why it's not there. :D

what are you talking about? i mean, a mass spell feat would have to have a fairly large level increase involved. i'd say at least +4 levels. that would mean harm would require at least a 10th level spell slot to to make it a mass spell.

MythandLore

First Post
Cl1mh4224rd said:

what are you talking about? i mean, a mass spell feat would have to have a fairly large level increase involved. i'd say at least +4 levels. that would mean harm would require at least a 10th level spell slot to to make it a mass spell.

That's the problem with harm, mass harm should be the same level as mass heal.
In my gaming group there is a mass harm, but we also house ruled harm so there is a save.

BTW if you make a "Mass" meta-magic feat, if you base it off Mass Heal it +2 levels.
Heal is level 6, Mass Heal is level 8.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
BTW if you make a "Mass" meta-magic feat, if you base it off Mass Heal it +2 levels.
Heal is level 6, Mass Heal is level 8.

Heal -> Mass Heal : +2
Haste -> Mass Haste : +3
Suggestion -> Mass Suggestion : +3
Invisibility -> Mass Invisibility : +5
Charm -> Mass Charm : +7

It's not that simple :)

-Hyp.

StealthyMark

First Post
Re: Mass Spell Feat

If you name the spells to which the feat may apply carefully, you might get away with this metamagic feat. Maybe "Range greater than touch and a single target"? For example Haste would qualify, Harm and Fly wouldn't.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Re: Re: Mass Spell Feat

If you name the spells to which the feat may apply carefully, you might get away with this metamagic feat. Maybe "Range greater than touch and a single target"? For example Haste would qualify, Harm and Fly wouldn't.

Unless you Metamagic Harm with Reach Spell first :)

-Hyp.

Remove ads