D&D (2024) Why no new packs since late September?

That is a good point.

I hope every class chooses its subclass at level 1.

Why should that be?

I think we will see how the cleric does it.

I can see many impelentations that work well with cleric subclasses relegated to level 3.

Level 1: chose domain/deity.
Level 2: get appropriate channel divinity.
Level 3: get a proper subclass that makes your cleric really differentiate between each other.

Same for wizards.

Level 1: chose specialization
Level 2: get appropriate power
Level 3: get peoper subclass like arcanist, war wizard etc.

Or something like that.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Why should that be?

I think we will see how the cleric does it.

I can see many impelentations that work well with cleric subclasses relegated to level 3.

Level 1: chose domain/deity.
Level 2: get appropriate channel divinity.
Level 3: get a proper subclass that makes your cleric really differentiate between each other.

Same for wizards.

Level 1: chose specialization
Level 2: get appropriate power
Level 3: get peoper subclass like arcanist, war wizard etc.

Or something like that.
Cleric:
Level 1: Spellcasting, Templar Bonus (Bonus Cantrip, Healing, Skills, or Weapons)
Level 2: Channel Divinity. Turn Undead
Level 3: Divine Domain
Level 4: Feat

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I really doubt they’re going to radically change what cleric and wizard subclasses are. The post PHB subclasses for both classes are very popular/well received. Changing domains into a level 1 minor choice and completely reworking what concept a cleric subclass hinges upon would mean you just can’t use the Grave Domain with the new Cleric. That’s…just not going to happen.

Now maybe they will thread that needle and we will be able to play a grave cleric with the nature domain, and just…hope that isn’t super confusing for new players, or maybe they’ll include a rule that if you lr subclass gains it’s first feature at level 1, you simply swap the proposed new feature to level 3, or soemthing, but all of those seem less likely than just saying that you choose your domain at 3 and get soemthing that isn’t a domain at level 1, or the subclass structure is common within a class group, rather than all classes, and priests all get their first level at level 1.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
I really doubt they’re going to radically change what cleric and wizard subclasses are. The post PHB subclasses for both classes are very popular/well received. Changing domains into a level 1 minor choice and completely reworking what concept a cleric subclass hinges upon would mean you just can’t use the Grave Domain with the new Cleric. That’s…just not going to happen.

Now maybe they will thread that needle and we will be able to play a grave cleric with the nature domain, and just…hope that isn’t super confusing for new players, or maybe they’ll include a rule that if you lr subclass gains it’s first feature at level 1, you simply swap the proposed new feature to level 3, or soemthing, but all of those seem less likely than just saying that you choose your domain at 3 and get soemthing that isn’t a domain at level 1, or the subclass structure is common within a class group, rather than all classes, and priests all get their first level at level 1.
I've been thinking it would be this way for a while now. For the Warriors and Experts, there is no change since all 6 of those classes already got their subclass at level 3 in 5e.

For the Divine group, getting their subclass at level 1 means the Druid gets it 1 level sooner and the Paladin get it 2 levels sooner. That wouldn't be much of a change for the Druid and I think it would make sense for the Paladin to make their Oath when they first become a member of the class rather than 3 levels into it. Their tenets seem more like vows they would make as soon as they devote themselves to becoming Paladins (except the Fallen Paladin of course).

For the Mage group, the Sorcerer and Warlock already get their subclasses at level 1. The Wizard gets it at level 2, but I could easily see them choosing their specialization when they graduate from apprentice to full-on Wizard.

So my prediction is that the Warrior and Expert groups will get their subclasses at level 3, while the Divine and Mage groups will get theirs at level 1.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I've been thinking it would be this way for a while now. For the Warriors and Experts, there is no change since all 6 of those classes already got their subclass at level 3 in 5e.

For the Divine group, getting their subclass at level 1 means the Druid gets it 1 level sooner and the Paladin get it 2 levels sooner. That wouldn't be much of a change for the Druid and I think it would make sense for the Paladin to make their Oath when they first become a member of the class rather than 3 levels into it. Their tenets seem more like vows they would make as soon as they devote themselves to becoming Paladins (except the Fallen Paladin of course).

For the Mage group, the Sorcerer and Warlock already get their subclasses at level 1. The Wizard gets it at level 2, but I could easily see them choosing their specialization when they graduate from apprentice to full-on Wizard.

So my prediction is that the Warrior and Expert groups will get their subclasses at level 3, while the Divine and Mage groups will get theirs at level 1.
Looks like we were wrong! 😬

Still, I don’t mind the idea of a smaller choice at level 2 and subclass at 3.

Remove ads