Why no official game?

HobbitFan

Explorer
I would be very interested to see what a company like Cubicle 7 would do with a Star Trek game. What they did with Dr Who was pretty impressive.

I think HobitFan's position might be telling, though. The new movies were divisive. Perhaps the Trek fans who'd be into an RPG don't have a lot of overlap with the Trek fans from the new movies. Different circles, different customers.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I think HobitFan's position might be telling, though. The new movies were divisive. Perhaps the Trek fans who'd be into an RPG don't have a lot of overlap with the Trek fans from the new movies. Different circles, different customers.

I think it is a pretty hard sell to the idea that somehow, they got a half-billion or so dollars by *dividing* the fanbase. That somehow you can come up with that many sales, and still be excluding a specific chunk of the fans with accuracy seems a bit of an incredible claim.

A lot of people liked the movies. Many may not have liked them. But they all *went*. They were all *interested*. People were (and are) talking about Trek. When someone sets out a rumor of a new TV series, the fandom goes all atwitter. Literally. Like, it was all over Twitter.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
I didn't bother with the reboot, except for the first movie wich I could consider an AU story, but I mainly watched it for Nimoy's appearance. I just really badly dislike reboots of any kind. And from the people in mypart of the fandom, I know exactly one guy who like the new movies. New fans meet up elsewhere and don't mix with the old ones over here. This already started with Enterprise. And no, we weren't interested in what was going on with the movies. We keep talking about the old and good stuff. So I think a hardcore fan to buy an RPG System based on the new movies is not all that likely. And it is kind of obvious that that's what would be happening.

For values of "divisive" which mean "watched by more people in the history of the franchise ever". Or, as it's commonly known, "not divisive".

You're right, no one had a problem with those movies. HobbitFan and all the other trekkies that were offended by them are figments of our collective imagination.

The venn diagram of old-school trekkies and new-school trekkies does not have 100% overlap. Considering the blockbuster romp crowd and the intellectual sci-fi crowd are often far removed, I'd guess that a lot of people who like the new Trek don't like the old, and vice-versa. So there is a division in the fan-base after the new movies. Largely BECAUSE the new movies were popular.

Divisive.

I think it is a pretty hard sell to the idea that somehow, they got a half-billion or so dollars by *dividing* the fanbase. That somehow you can come up with that many sales, and still be excluding a specific chunk of the fans with accuracy seems a bit of an incredible claim.

A lot of people liked the movies. Many may not have liked them. But they all *went*. They were all *interested*. People were (and are) talking about Trek. When someone sets out a rumor of a new TV series, the fandom goes all atwitter. Literally. Like, it was all over Twitter.

See above.

The teen through twenty-something summer blockbuster crowd was very interested in the new Trek movies. It is not interested in TRPGs to anywhere near the same extent. We got a whole bunch of new fans, but not the kind of fan that adds demand for a TRPG. That is my point.

Look at what Lwaxy said:

I didn't bother with the reboot, except for the first movie wich I could consider an AU story, but I mainly watched it for Nimoy's appearance. I just really badly dislike reboots of any kind. And from the people in mypart of the fandom, I know exactly one guy who like the new movies. New fans meet up elsewhere and don't mix with the old ones over here. This already started with Enterprise. And no, we weren't interested in what was going on with the movies. We keep talking about the old and good stuff. So I think a hardcore fan to buy an RPG System based on the new movies is not all that likely. And it is kind of obvious that that's what would be happening.

This is what I am talking about.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You're right, no one had a problem with those movies. HobbitFan and all the other trekkies that were offended by them are figments of our collective imagination.

That's not even slightly what I said, as you know. And the sarcasm is not appreciated.

That's not even slightly what I said, as you know. And the sarcasm is not appreciated.

I took your dismissal of my opinion personally, and felt it was condescending. I still do, but I have to give you the benefit of the doubt as being touchy is a fault of mine. So I apologize.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

That is, as has been noted, a bit of an overstatement and strawman.

But, to be clear - for purposes of this thread, and considering game publishing, for this divisiveness to be relevant to whether a game is made, the folks who didn't like the movies would largely also have to be the people who are apt to play a game based on the property. The lines of division must match for it to be a relevant point.

Do we have any evidence of that?

The teen through twenty-something summer blockbuster crowd was very interested in the new Trek movies. It is not interested in TRPGs to anywhere near the same extent.

I think that's just incorrect. I think the gaming world *swarms* with folks who appreciate summer blockbusters.

We got a whole bunch of new fans, but not the kind of fan that adds demand for a TRPG. That is my point.

Ah, here's the thing. The *old* fans are not the kind of fans who "demand" TRPGs, either. Heck, name a single game out there that was created because fans "demanded" it. I can't think of a single fan-based movement to have a game produced, much less one that succeeded.

It is not the case that Trek fans, in general, are RPG players. The bulk of *any* market for one medium will *not* be RPG players. RPG players are a *small* market, compared with just about any major media seen in the world.

Remove ads