• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why play a wizard/cleric?

Deadguy

First Post
Because there's no overlap of abilities between Cleric and Wizard, the current mechanics produce a feel of someone is really one class dabbling in another. A Wizard 10/Cleric 1 is a clerical magic dabbler, unable to get much advantage from that one level of cleric mechanically. In terms of Game World utility, that Clerical level may give the character better acccess to magial knowledge (i.e. Wizard spells) and perhaps repsectability, but this is all DM purview.

A mechanic that let a Wizard gain access to Clerical spells and cast them as Arcane magic using his normal slots seems at one and the same time too powerful and too weak. Too powerful, since it adds a huge amount of versatility, and too weak since it eats up slots dedicated to genuine wizardly magic. Nevertheless, I reckon it should be possible to balance such an option, possibly by grading access (one feat equals so many levels of spell access, or access to a certain limited number of spells).

Such a character would feel more like a genuine blend of the two classes, rather than a person of two halves.

Good luck developing the idea! ;)

Last edited:

WattsHumphrey

First Post
ForceUser said:
I could see a cleric of Mystra, Wee Jas, or Boccob taking wizard levels.

I don't know about Wee Jas and Boccob, but Mystra even has a PrC that requires Wiz and Clr levels (in Faiths and Pantheons). It's called a Dwomerkeeper, and it ROYALLY SUCKS, IMO.

This isn't to say I haven't used it :). My personal GM avatar is a Wiz/Cleric, usually of Mystra, so despite that I dislike this class, I took it anyway :).

Then again, unless Mystic Theurge is out, I'd go for that.

As far as flavor goes, I think the flavor text for Dwomerkeeper is some of the more interesting. You're studying magic in all of it's various forms and types. You're interested in everything about it, from how it works, how it can be changed, and IMC how it can be applied to the general people.

The flavor's the best part... but I agree, it generally has to be played in a subpar party.

LGodamus

First Post
Check out arcana unearthed...monte says that there is only one spell list for all the spell casting classes with no distinction between arcane and divine...

Destil

Explorer
LGodamus said:
Check out arcana unearthed...monte says that there is only one spell list for all the spell casting classes with no distinction between arcane and divine...
INdeed. The Hallowed Mage is an interesting take on it. It requires 2nd level arcane and dvine spellcasting, but has a unified spell list and spell progression (begining with 3rd level spells), as well as some extra flavor.

Remove ads