• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why recommend "upgrading" to IE7 from IE6

Mercule

Adventurer
Thanee said:
IE is about the last browser on earth to have this feature...

Irrelivant. All that matters is that it has it now. Or would it be fair to compare IE6 with Opera 1?

I absolutely agree that MS has been behind the times with browser development and it frustrates me, as a web developer who actually likes to use CSS. There are just enough reason to pick on IE (or any other platform/tool) without dredging up old stuff.

IMO, IE7 is competitive with FireFox or Opera. There are still some areas where it could be more standards compliant. On the other hand, it has fewer problems with certain content types (IME, Flash and Quicktime are occasionally problematic in Firefox, YMMV).

I'm forced to used IE6 at work, for the next six or so months, because of legacy 3rd party issues. I keep Firefox installed to check CSS and other standards. I see little to no difference between Firefox at work and IE7 at home, other than IE7 being more reliable with media -- though I've heard Firefox fans having the opposite experience. I've never used Opera, so have no opinion.

Honestly, I don't think the aveage user will notice much difference between IE7 and Firefox. Mostly, it's just another software jyhad for us geeks to bang our chest about. Java vs .NET. Mac vs Windows. Etc.

Rangoric

First Post
He recommened IE7 for users of IE6 because its in the same software line.

Not because he personally thinks its absolutly better.

But because in the scheme of things if they are using IE6, getting them to move to IE7 is both easier and more likely to happen.

Remove ads