D&D General Why TSR-era D&D Will Always Be D&D

What else is there to add? I don't think they ever intentionally mislead anyone, there wouldn't have been a reason to do so.
and i even accounted for that... things change, both policy and mindset and who is incharge. it is possible for something to be said today that will not show to be true in 2024 and still nobody lied.
People seem to forget that 5E was a Hail Mary that was just supposed to keep the IP alive long enough for them to launch some movies.
excuse me what!?! in what way was it a hail mary?

even IF you beleive it was going to drop to 2nd place in the sales, and even if you say it would go out of print... it STILL would be the only RPG most people could name and still have 2 movies to fall back on and a cartoon. what was this hail marry?

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I didn't mean to imply there were exceptions in the way you took it. What I meant was that, as I stated in a prior post, is that not everything that sounds like a logical fallacy is one. Appealing to authority isn't always a fallacy, sometimes it's referencing expert opinion.
No, appeal to authority is always an informal fallacy. The problem is that people scream this the moment an authority is mentioned while appeal to authority has a specific structure. It's an error in use, not an error in the stru ture of the fallacy.

Honestly, the best practice if you suspect a fallacy is to not name drop the fallacy but instead show how the argument in question follows the fallacious structure. Show the error, don't yell names at it.

Vaalingrade

Legend
We should really be thanking Stranger Things, Critical Role, the Big Bang Theory, Marvel Studios and roughly the years 2005 to 2015 for the general slide toward making geek culture socially chic and the 80's and 90's for making D&D the single most iconic symbol of being a geek to the point that every celebration of geek culture has to mention it that contributed to the confluence of events that made D&D, not just 5e specifically popular.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
White box, red box, 5e's new starter box,
It's still D&D to me
Isn't that sort of the antithesis of the OP's point, though?

He's saying it will always be TSR D&D, even if incidental things change. You seem to be saying, "Eh, it doesn't matter if it changes completely, it's still D&D regardless."

HammerMan

Legend
We should really be thanking Stranger Things, Critical Role, the Big Bang Theory, Marvel Studios and roughly the years 2005 to 2015 for the general slide toward making geek culture socially chic and the 80's and 90's for making D&D the single most iconic symbol of being a geek to the point that every celebration of geek culture has to mention it that contributed to the confluence of events that made D&D, not just 5e specifically popular.
Very much so

I can't help but feel that this is like thanking the landing strip for a successful plane ride, after your seat mate started talking about the Wright Brothers.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases