D&D General Why TSR-era D&D Will Always Be D&D

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
We should really be thanking Stranger Things, Critical Role, the Big Bang Theory, Marvel Studios and roughly the years 2005 to 2015 for the general slide toward making geek culture socially chic and the 80's and 90's for making D&D the single most iconic symbol of being a geek to the point that every celebration of geek culture has to mention it that contributed to the confluence of events that made D&D, not just 5e specifically popular.
Agreed; and don't forget the Lord of the Rings (movies) ==> Harry Potter ==> Game of Thrones progression which served to bring fantasy* in general into the 'socially chic' club.

* - as opposed to sci-fi, which had the same thing happen a few decades earlier.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Isn't that sort of the antithesis of the OP's point, though?

He's saying it will always be TSR D&D, even if incidental things change. You seem to be saying, "Eh, it doesn't matter if it changes completely, it's still D&D regardless."
Nah, because it never (like in the Billy Joel song) actually changes completely. Give it a new spin and some new slogan, but the song remains the same... Dammit, now I'm getting my song metaphors mixed.

Yora

Legend
What 5e has proved is that you can change all the guts and internals of the sacred cows. As long as the cow is still a cow, the specifics wont offend the majority and you can present the most popular version of a cow.

What matters is that you have the 6 abilities and fighters are STR based, rogues are DEX based, wizards are INT based, and clerics are WIS based, What the abilities do has a lot of leeway. This allow the community to refine the sacred cows to their wishes. I would not be shocked to see major changes in DEX, INT, and CHA in 6e or 7e.
If I'd think long and hard enough about it, I could probably make some intelligent sounding cargo cult reference regarding this.

Also brand recognition.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
What 5e has proved is that you can change all the guts and internals of the sacred cows. As long as the cow is still a cow, the specifics wont offend the majority and you can present the most popular version of a cow.

What matters is that you have the 6 abilities and fighters are STR based, rogues are DEX based, wizards are INT based, and clerics are WIS based, What the abilities do has a lot of leeway. This allow the community to refine the sacred cows to their wishes. I would not be shocked to see major changes in DEX, INT, and CHA in 6e or 7e.
Paizo learned a thing or two about sacred cows themselves. When they dove into PF2 design they still have the ability scores, however, the game runs entirely on the mods. People just think a Str 5 is too puny and want a Str 20! So, it stays in the game. Though, when it came time to post monster stat blocks, they would just use mods. This again, sent some GMs into complaint mode because a monster just doesn't sound scary with a 5 Str!

So, sometimes even the changes need to be considered carefully.

Remove ads