D&D General Why TSR-era D&D Will Always Be D&D

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Well, the definition of insanity is to keep having the edition wars refought ... even in threads that have nothing to do with that war.

That said, I have written a history of 4e as I understand it before, so I will repost it in spoilers if you're interested.

Please remember that people have very strong opinions about the transitions in D&D that occurred from 3e to 4e to 5e, and you are unlikely to change those opinions. You are, however, likely to anger the blood of other people, and eventually shut down the thread. No matter how good or clever your point is, it has definitely been said before and it will not change any opinions. But what you choose to write is up to you, your God(s) (or lack thereof), and the forum rules and the moderators that enforce those rules.

A not-very-brief history of 4e's issues and why it wasn't a success:

A. At GenCon in August 2007, WoTC botched the rollout of 4e, causing many in the audience to (incorrectly) believe that a computer was required to play the game. This was the start of misconceptions about this edition that the powers that be never really addressed.

B. June 6, 2008- the release of 4e. Do you know what else happened between the announcement of the product and the release? The Great Recession. Not the best time to release a new product (especially when you were hoping for sweet recurring subscriber revenue).

C. It was hoped that 4e would have MMO licensing, computer games, and more. But the timeframe was not favorable. Moreover, we can forget how ambitious this was for the time; the idea of "always on" internet was still novel, and services such as Roll20, twitch, and so on weren't around yet. Heck, the original (very slow!) iPhone had just been released. Yes, the D&D audience was more tech-savvy than regular consumers, but the rosy projections did not match the reality.

D. Building on (C), there exist players who view D&D as a mostly tech-free time. A respite from screens and technology. Sure, they might be luddites, and they might be a very small part of the market now, but they exist. Which also goes back to B, and the botched rollout- computers weren't required, but WoTC chose to emphasize it.

E. Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln? Yeah, sure, the announcement was botched, and the timing was horrible, but they also had terrible, terrible luck! The 4e designers acknowledged that the final push was rushed by directives from the top, which caused them to make the classes too "samey" and left further differentiation on the cutting-room floor. So many parts that could go wrong, did go wrong- key parts of the computer component that was supposed to be rolled out were entrusted to a developer, and that person was unstable and it ended in a horrific tragedy (and also meant no product). The projections for the product, which were too optimistic, combined with the lack of immediate success, resulted in Hasbro immediately slashing funding. But the time Essentials was rolled out in 2010, 4e was already dead internally and they were debating what to do.

F. Within the 4e community, there has been some debate about whether Essentials was a necessary correction that would have appealed to the mass market, or a betrayal of the essential ethos of 4e.

G. Going back to (B), the concept of subscription services and "Everything is Core" (repeated releases of core books each year) is an idea that was, at best, ahead of its time- we are all about subscriptions now, but it wasn't that common then. At that time, it came off as more of a cash grab, especially given the economy.

H. The design team was too insular and wasn't aware that the reception wouldn't be great, and therefore didn't do enough to "sell" the product. When they had 3PP come and playtest 4e, Jason Buhlman of Paizo saw what was going on and that provided Paizo the confidence to continue on with Pathfinder. In other words, outside playtesters realized it would be divisive to some of the core consumers.

I. One more thing- while the internet wasn't "always on" enough for the ambitions of some aspects of 4e, this was the first edition launch that had many D&D players (I assume, I don't have stats for this) have easy access to some form of the internet, which enabled extreme and intense opinions to both form, spread, and become much more noticeable and toxic.

J. Finally, this history has to be measured in terms of what is a "flagship" product; when D&D sneezes, every other product in the TTRPG field gets a cold. It's not enough for a D&D product to be "good" or "better" than other editions, it's not sufficient that it has great design. It has to be broadly and widely popular. That is the raison d'être for D&D. People can, and do, argue endlessly about what makes D&D better or worse or good or not, but in terms of a product, D&D must always be #1. Starbucks coffee might not taste the best, but they have to careful changing it ... if you know what I mean.

Now, why write this history? Certainly not to rubbish 4e. I think it's an interesting, but essentially unanswerable, question as to whether or not it would have succeeded if the stars had not been aligned against it. The product was already essentially dead internally two years after the launch, yet aspects of the system itself were incorporated into 5e, and it was never as unpopular as its detractors say - just not popular enough given expectations and the brand.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Paizo learned a thing or two about sacred cows themselves. When they dove into PF2 design they still have the ability scores, however, the game runs entirely on the mods. People just think a Str 5 is too puny and want a Str 20! So, it stays in the game. Though, when it came time to post monster stat blocks, they would just use mods. This again, sent some GMs into complaint mode because a monster just doesn't sound scary with a 5 Str!

So, sometimes even the changes need to be considered carefully.
But that's my point.

People only care about looks. STR 18 could give +2 to damage, +4 to damage +8 to damage, or +18 damage.

No one cares as long as it's STR 18!

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
But that's my point.

People only care about looks. STR 18 could give +2 to damage, +4 to damage +8 to damage, or +18 damage.

No one cares as long as it's STR 18!
I guess I was assuming that just the 6 stats must be kept, though it goes deeper than even that!

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Some people care.

I mean, we all know that cheaters instinctively realize that they will get called out for an 18/00 strength.

Which is why they show up to the table with an 18/96.
Not really.

That's about cheating.

What the sacred cows do, not many people care. As long as the mechanics are relative to the rest of the system and match the design goals and other sacred cows.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Can we tamp down on using the term 'sacred cow', please?

Not because I'm against discussing the vestigial nature of arbitrarily held traditions, but that term derives from religious mockery.

Remove ads