Unearthed Arcana Why UA Psionics are never going to work in 5e.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
On the other hand, most of those wizard spells, and the vast majority of the spellcasting rules are shared by (too(?)) many other classes. Thus efficiency in terms of page count is probably still in the wizard's favour.
No. It just means that Wizards can have 40 pages, Clerics 40, Druids 35, Bards 40, etc., even though there are only 80 pages of spells.

It's efficiency of space, not efficiency of class spell page count.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
You said, "Must be easy to understand. (5e philosophy.)"

If that's the 5e philosophy, Wizards are easy to understand(and they are). The amount of complexity in 5e is fairly low compared to prior editions. Mystics me the 5e standard for simplicity, even if they weren't as simple as the Champion.
I don't know anyone else on the planet who says that the Mystic was simple.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don't know anyone else on the planet who says that the Mystic was simple.
I didn't say it was simple. I said it meets 5e standards for simplicity. It's less complex than other classes that meet the 5e standards. As complex as it is, it 1) is not as complex as other classes, and 2) is easy to understand.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
What does the up and down psi dice mechanic actually add to either psionics flavor or the subclass that could not be represented through other pre-existing means? Why bother designing this as part of psionics at all?
To me, it adds variability. It makes psionics different from other magic in that it can wax or wane in a different way. I don't see how that kind of thing can be represented with existing mechanics -- no other existing mechanic waxes and wanes like the psi-die do. As for why, why not? Honest question, not snark. As it stands, it's a design I like, so there's at least one why. It's a design you don't like, so there's one reason why not. This doesn't seem like a useful question to ask, because the answer is always subjective.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I make those statements based on what I would like the psionic 5e system to be like. They're based on opinions. Ovinomancer claimed:

Saying that there's no way to make a simple psionic class system. That's not opinion based. That's a claim with nothing to support it.
Very true, I have no evidence that it cannot be done. However, evidence to prove me wrong is readily available -- you just have to show that it can be done, once. I await being proven wrong, at which time I will withdraw my argument.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I believe that the post was intended in support of your statement that removing VSM requirements was not an inconsequential power change, and so some commensurate balancing limiters should be applied.
It was phrased in a constructive fashion, and was a good though: earlier in the thread we have been considering practical concepts and mechanics, and concepts like those Catulle suggested had come up.
Ah, it is possible I misunderstood the gist of the post. If so, mea culpa.

I didn't say it was simple. I said it meets 5e standards for simplicity. It's less complex than other classes that meet the 5e standards. As complex as it is, it 1) is not as complex as other classes, and 2) is easy to understand.
I found the Mystic straightforward enough to understand. And given that psionics have always be presented as more complex advanced optional rules, I was fine with it.

Could you design a simpler Mystic? Sure. Would 70% of D&D players who-are-not-you like it? I very much doubt it.

Remove ads