Why We Should Work With WotC

So basically you have nothing, but insults.

No, I've gone over my reasons as to why I find these allegations believable: the source has been correct in the past, corrected themselves when they were wrong, and even revealed stuff that (if not handled properly) could reveal their sources. I don't really find DnD_Shorts to be my kind of content, but overall he's been pretty good in this whole situation comparatively speaking.

Your position has nothing, because you want us to wait for confirmation from a known liar. I find waiting for someone who has continually been deceptive in their actions to tell us their side of the story to not be a worthwhile position given that I don't trust anything they say.

Now, if someone else came out to contradict this, I'd give it a fair shake. If that happens, I'm willing to reevaluate. But honestly just dismissing this stuff just because Wizards has said nothing misses that them saying nothing is a response, and one they take willingly.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
WotC is responsible for 70% of Hasbro's revenue and 20% of its profits.

That means the rest of the company is bleeding money.

So no. Hasbro cannot, in fact, survive without WotC.
It's less that Hasbro is bleeding money.
More that the other 60% of Hasbro has incredibly low net profits.

SOMEHOW if you go to Hasbro's Shop and look around, they are not making more money than expenses on Anything you see on there!

raniE

Adventurer
WotC is responsible for 70% of Hasbro's revenue and 20% of its profits.

That means the rest of the company is bleeding money.

So no. Hasbro cannot, in fact, survive without WotC.
Opposite, 20% of revenue and 72% of profits. That was in 2021, we don’t have the report for 2022 yet, but it’s unlikely to look good.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Opposite, 20% of revenue and 72% of profits. That was in 2021, we don’t have the report for 2022 yet, but it’s unlikely to look good.
Which is worse like I said

They are barely making money of MLP
They are barely making money of Playdoh
They are barely making money of Monopoly
They are barely making money of Nerf
They are barely making money of Transformers
They are barely making money of GIJoe

Hasbro is only making money on D&D and MTG.
Hence the aggression.

raniE

Adventurer
We do however have quarterly results, which you can find here.
For the latest quarter we do have financial results for, Q3 2022, the results were as follows

$ Millions, except earnings per shareQ3 2022Q3 2021% Change
Net Revenues$1,675.9$1,970.0-15%
Operating Profit$194.3$367.9-47%
Adjusted Operating Profit$270.5$389.6-31%
Net Earnings$129.2$253.2-49%
Net Earnings per Diluted Share$0.93$1.83-49%
Adjusted Net Earnings$196.2$271.2-28%
Adjusted Net Earnings per Diluted Share$1.42$1.96-28%
EBITDA$267.1$443.0-40%
Adjusted EBITDA$345.5$462.1-25%
EBITDA means earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization.

Negative growth, shrinkage if you will, in every single category from Q3 2021 to Q3 2022. Now, they expected that Q4 2022 would be flat from Q4 2022, but flat is not an increase, it's just flat.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Forward Looking Statement Safe Harbor

Certain statements in this press release contain “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements, which may be identified by the use of forward-looking words or phrases, include statements relating to: our business strategies and plans for growth; anticipated profit growth, cost savings and cash costs to achieve savings; expectations relating to products, gaming and entertainment to be developed and delivered in the near term; including debt to EBITDA targets and anticipated financial performance in the fourth quarter and full-year 2022. Our actual actions or results may differ materially from those expected or anticipated in the forward-looking statements due to both known and unknown risks and uncertainties. Factors that might cause such a difference include, but are not limited to:

• our ability to successfully execute on our Blueprint 2.0 strategy, including to focus on and scale select business initiatives and brands to drive profitability;
  • our ability to design, develop, manufacture, and ship products on a timely, cost-effective and profitable basis;
  • our ability to successfully compete in the global play and entertainment industry, including with manufacturers, marketers, and sellers of toys and games, digital gaming products and digital media, as well as with film studios, television production companies and independent distributors and content producers;
  • our ability to successfully evolve and transform our business and capabilities to successfully address the global consumer landscape;
  • inflation and downturns in global and regional economic conditions impacting one or more of the markets in which we sell products, which can negatively impact our retail customers and consumers, result in lower employment levels, consumer disposable income, retailer inventories and spending, including lower spending on purchases of our products;
  • our dependence on third party relationships, including with third party manufacturers, licensors of brands, studios, content producers and entertainment distribution channels;
Hasbro isn't making enough money off toys. The manufacturing and shipping are killing them. Look at their first 2 bullet points.

They WILL NOT listen to us unless we often them another path to make money.

We have a billionaire who spends 1.0 billion to make 1.1 billion and 70% of the 0.1b comes from WOTC. And they are the major advertisers for the whole hobby.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Sure, dude, and they were totally making stuff up about OGL 1.1, too! It's all made up! None of this is true! Don't believe your eyes and ears! ONLY BELIEVE FRIEND WIZARD!

FRIEND WIZARD KNOWS BEST
FRIEND WIZARD KNOWS ALL
FRIEND WIZARD IS HERE TO HELP*

* ANY ACTION DEEMED HATEFUL, HARMFUL, DISRESPECTFUL OR MOCKING TO FRIEND WIZARD WILL RESULT IN TERMINATION OF LICENSE**
**RIGHTS GRANTED BY LICENSE ARE EXTREMELY LIMITED TO CONTINUING PAID SUBSCRIPTION TO FRIEND WIZARD, SUBSISTANCE ON THAY-IMPORTED GRUEL, AND LIFE. IF REVOKED, UNDEAD TABLE TERMS COME INTO EFFECT AUTOMATICALLY.

Mod Note:
Shouting the snark does not make it more constructive.

It is time for you to leave this discussion. Don't repeat this performance on other threads, please.

TheSword

Legend
WotC/Hasbro benefit enormously. The reasons why you can find here, in an interview with Dancey where he lays out the theory behind it: Dungeons and Dragons 3rd Edition News
I’ve seen the reasoning now. Very interesting. However I think Ryan Darcey’s support was a given.

The reality has changed. The market for casual players is greater now that it ever was. The lifetime gamers that he talks about represent only a minority of die hard players on these forums for instance instead of the backbone of the hobby.

Most players no longer by their D&D books from FLGS they get them from Amazon or direct from DDB. So WOCs need to have thriving FLGs is no longer as important,

Core rulebooks are also no longer the only major product sold. OGL was released in the days when the conventional wisdom was that Adventures don’t sell… that has clearly changed. So the idea that 3pp adventures are needed to sell core rulebook did outdated.

In short, the justification was a theory… one that has several gaps.

Remove ads