Why We Should Work With WotC

Synthil

Explorer
I would argue that if someone pulls out a gun and holds it to your head, that very act is inflicting harm on you even before they pull the trigger. There's a reason mock executions are considered a form of torture.
And it was only a mock execution because it got leaked. Otherwise they would already have gone through with it. Attempted murder is still a crime.

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
Except, they haven't actually done anything yet.
I like Monte Cook’s take. If someone points a gun at you, pulls the trigger, the gun jams and he then apologizes, do you trust that person ever again?

That is what WotC did, it just didn’t work the way they intended.

That is not what I consider ‘having done nothing yet’. It is not to their credit that they still ‘have to’ talk to us.

Last edited:

Imaro

Legend
I keep wondering... if the OGL 1.0a was a symbiotic relationship where WotC is benefiting (arguably more than they would from it not existing) just as much as those using it to create and publish professional works... then why not let them revoke it, since it would (by this logic) have business ramifications and repercussions that will be just as bad for WotC as for 3pp (again assuming both parties benefit equally from it)... right?

Staffan

Legend
And it was only a mock execution because it got leaked. Otherwise they would already have gone through with it. Attempted murder is till a crime.
Attempted murder.gif

Staffan

Legend
I keep wondering... if the OGL 1.0a was a symbiotic relationship where WotC is benefiting (arguably more than they would from it not existing) just as much as those using it to create and publish professional works... then why not let them revoke it, since it would (by this logic) have business ramifications and repercussions that will be just as bad for WotC as for 3pp (again assuming both parties benefit equally from it)... right?
Both Wizards and 3PPs benefit from the OGL 1.0, but I think it would be hard to argue 3PPs don't benefit more from it.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Because Hasbro is large enough to absorb that damage and keep going while the smaller publishers are not.

Revoking the OGL will hurt them, even if they don't think it will. But probably not as much as it should.

MarkB

Legend
Except, they haven't actually done anything yet. They started to do something, we found out, shouted at them, and they stopped to reconsider. No license has been issued. No harm has been done yet.
Hasn't it? Companies are having to basically put projects on hold at the moment because they don't know whether they'll have an acceptable license under which to publish it by the time it's complete, and in the meantime any further time or money they sink into them could be wasted.

I can't imagine that this hasn't already had a financial impact.

Remove ads