D&D 5E Wild Beyond the Witchlight + Out of the Abyss

pukunui

Legend
I recently got The Wild Beyond the Witchlight and have just finished reading through it. I love it! Can’t wait to run it.

Did anyone else notice all the multiversal cameos? There are NPCs from Toril, Krynn, Oerth, the Known World, and even Tal’dorei!

Anyway, I’ve had a bit of a crazy idea for following it up with the second half of Out of the Abyss. A huge tonal shift, I know, but hear me out:

First, a frequent complaint people have had with OotA is that the first half is all about escaping the demonic madness unleashed in the Underdark, so why would anyone want to turn around and go right back in? By skipping the first half, we can nip that complaint in the bud!

Second, PCs are expected to be 8th level at the midway point of OotA, when they’re expected to return to the Underdark. Since WBtW finishes at 8th level, the segue is seamless!

Third, the central figure in WBtW has been known to consort with demons. It shouldn’t be that hard to set up OotA Part 2 as a consequence / follow-up to that reveal.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I feel like this is obvious, so you've probably already thought of it, but I do think that you should make sure to establish a few NPCs in the carnival that are from the underdark! Some potential guides, or side-quest-givers, or at least people that can help them feel connected to the place.

pukunui

Legend
I feel like this is obvious, so you've probably already thought of it, but I do think that you should make sure to establish a few NPCs in the carnival that are from the underdark! Some potential guides, or side-quest-givers, or at least people that can help them feel connected to the place.
I hadn't actually. That's a great suggestion. Thanks! :)

Maybe swap out the drow with elves from the unseelie court (or is it the seelie court?) and use the same premise but in the fey wild?

I think there is an interesting idea here.
That is a cool idea! Could make it the Feydark. (I've always kinda liked the idea that the Underdark and the Feydark are the same thing anyway.)

pukunui

Legend
One of the reasons I got the idea is that there are several spies in Zybilna's palace sent by Graz'zt, and some of them are very close to figuring things out. Perhaps the demon lords and their minions are coming for Zybilna and she needs the PCs' help to stop them. (Rather than it being the case of a drow mage casting a spell to break Lolth's hold on the Underdark and having it go awry.)

Remove ads