• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wild Mage & Practiced Spellcaster Combo

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Nigel Yarrow is a 5th level wizard / 1st level wild mage with the Practiced Spellcaster feat:

• What is the Yarrowstaff's base caster level?
  • What is the statistical range of his adjusted caster level?
  • In your professional opinion, is this prestige class and feat combination broken?
-Samir Asad

wmasters

First Post
I always rule that the combo doesn't stack. Your caster level is 6. Then you consider practiced spellcaster, which doesn't add to it. Then you take into account the Wild Mage, which makes it 3 + 1d6 (I think - I don't have the book in front of me).

Your caster level would be the same if he then took 4 levels of fighter after that (although, of course, he wouldn't have the extra spell levels etc)

Of course, since you asked for a professional opinion - who cares? Buy my stuff.

Thanee

First Post
According to the FAQ, the feat can cancel out the caster level penalty.

So, base caster level is 6th (nothing has any impact here).

Caster level for spellcasting is 6,6,6,7,8,9 for a d6 roll of 1,2,3,4,5,6 respectively.

While not really broken (there are worse things out there), I don't think this is right from the spirit of the rule and wouldn't allow it to work this way.

Bye
Thanee

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Broken.

There is absolutely no mechanical reason not to take Practiced Spellcaster if you are going to become a Wild Mage. It completely negates the defining drawback of the prestige class, and as Thanee said, its not exactly wild to be a practiced spellcaster.

BD

glass

(he, him)
As written, the combo works IMO, and I don't think it is particularly broken. I would be tempted to ban it for flavour reasons, but I would consider that a houserule.

glass.

Thanee

First Post
It's not only flavor, even though that is a strong point in this specific case as well, but I simply don't think Practiced Spellcaster should work on temporary penalties at all.

The way it is now (with the FAQ), it cancels out penalties from energy drain, or whatever else.

Just doesn't seem right to me. :)

Bye
Thanee

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
RigaMortus2 said:
If you think about it, if the mage is so Wild, why would he also be Practiced? Isn't that an oxymoron?

He's practiced at being wild. :p

I don't think this is really that broken. None of the features of the class really seem that powerful that I would be uncomfortable with it if there wasn't this drawback. There are certainly far more powerful prestige classes out there that have absolutely no drawback at all. And as far as flavor goes, it could be explained as someone having a greater mastery and control over the wild surges he is using in his spells.

If you think about it, it really is no worse than spell power, which several prestige classes get for a guaranteed +1 or more to caster level. The wild mage with practiced spellcaster has a chance of getting a caster level bonus of at most +3, and paid a feat for it. I don't see a problem.

Remove ads