• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wild Mage & Practiced Spellcaster Combo

pawsplay

Hero
Hypersmurf said:
The rules for Wild Magic say your caster level changes; they don't say you can cast a spell if your caster level is below the minimum for that spell.

If my caster level is below the minimum due to negative levels, can I cast the spell? If my caster level is below the minimum due to a feat like Mage Slayer, can I cast the spell? At which point does it become unnecessary for the text of an ability or condition to say "Even if the character's caster level falls below the minimum needed to cast a spell, he can still cast it to reduced effect"?

-Hyp.

I happen to believe modifications to effective caster level happen after the spell is cast. First, determine if the spell is eligible to be cast. Choosing to cast it an unacceptably low level is one way to not be able to cast it. Then the spell is cast, and its effective caster level is determined.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Xaos Magus Matrices

According to my previous Practiced Spellcaster + spell enhancer example and my understanding of the FAQ, I see two sets of possibilities (on 1d6):

1: 7-3+1+2=7 ... [7] = 7th
2: 7-3+2+2=8 ... [8] = 8th
3: 7-3+3+2=9 ... [9] = 9th
4: 7-3+4+2=10 ... [10] = 10th
5: 7-3+5+2=11 ... [11] = 11th
6: 7-3+6+2=12 ... [12] = 12th

1: 7-3+1=5 ... [actually 7+2] = 9th
2: 7-3+2=6 ... [actually 7+2] = 9th
3: 7-3+3=7 ... [7+2] = 9th
4: 7-3+4=8 ... [8+2] = 10th
5: 7-3+5=9 ... [9+2] = 11th
6: 7-3+6=10 ... [10+2] = 12th

Which matrix is correct?

-Samir Asad​

Last edited:

gnfnrf

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
If my caster level is below the minimum due to negative levels, can I cast the spell? If my caster level is below the minimum due to a feat like Mage Slayer, can I cast the spell? At which point does it become unnecessary for the text of an ability or condition to say "Even if the character's caster level falls below the minimum needed to cast a spell, he can still cast it to reduced effect"?

After reading the section you quoted, I think that the scope of that particular line is only for choosing a caster level lower than your actual current level. If you aren't choosing a different caster level, but using your actual current level, I don't think that there is a minimum, so the answer to all of your questions is "Yes, you can."

--
gnfnrf

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
gnfnrf said:
After reading the section you quoted, I think that the scope of that particular line is only for choosing a caster level lower than your actual current level.

You can't choose to cast the fireball below 5th level, true; but the reason given is because 5th level is the minimum caster level for a wizard to cast fireball. Not the minimum he can choose; the minimum at which he can cast, which is why it's the minimum he can choose.

-Hyp.

Felix

Explorer
Bad Paper said:
Am I correct with this excerpt?
That's what I got, but my Complete Works doesn't have line numbers, and I can never remember if they count the lines "Oh, Romeo/" as it's own line or part of another.

pawsplay

Hero
Hypersmurf said:
You can't choose to cast the fireball below 5th level, true; but the reason given is because 5th level is the minimum caster level for a wizard to cast fireball. Not the minimum he can choose; the minimum at which he can cast, which is why it's the minimum he can choose.

-Hyp.

That doesn't follow. In my view, it is the minimum he can choose, because the rules say that's the minimum you can choose. The reason you can't normally cast it at a lower level is because is because you cannot choose to do so.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
pawsplay said:
That doesn't follow. In my view, it is the minimum he can choose, because the rules say that's the minimum you can choose. The reason you can't normally cast it at a lower level is because is because you cannot choose to do so.

The rules say she can't cast Fireball at a caster level lower than 5th: the minimum level required for a wizard to cast fireball.

Not "the minimum level a wizard can choose to cast fireball", but "the minimum level required for a wizard to cast fireball".

-Hyp.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Chaos Conflagration! (Additional Query)

Can wild mages choose a specific (i.e., lower) caster level when creating magic items ... or does their caster level automatically fluctuate?
15a3b727.gif

-Samir Asad is Nigel Yarrow (CN)

The Yarrowstaff
Ebonwyrm
Knee-Gall
Vitreus

Hand of
Chaos

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The Thayan Menace said:
Can wild mages choose a specific (i.e., lower) caster level when creating magic items ... or does their caster level automatically fluctuate?

A wild mage's caster level only varies for the purpose of casting spells.

A Wiz5/WMg1 has a caster level of 6 when crafting items, when qualifying for feats or PrCs, or when doing anything other than casting spells.

When he casts a spell, his caster level for that purpose is 6 - 3 + 1d6.

-Hyp.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
A wild mage's caster level only varies for the purpose of casting spells.

A Wiz5/WMg1 has a caster level of 6 when crafting items, when qualifying for feats or PrCs, or when doing anything other than casting spells.

When he casts a spell, his caster level for that purpose is 6 - 3 + 1d6.

-Hyp.
Although that would be weird and funny if it did vary for those purposes.

"Nigel! Quick! Use your Mastery of Shaping Archmage ability to blast them while not harming us!"

"Umm...okay!" :casts spell: "Oops! My caster level isn't high enough to cast 7th-level spells this round, so I don't qualify for Archmage and you all get hit. On the up-side, I just got a spell-slot back temporarily!"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads