D&D 5E Wild Magic Sorcerer Spells

Neylon

First Post
Dear Friends,

I am starting my first D&D campaign ever. The campaign will go from level 1 to level 6.

i am playing a wild magic sorcerer (agreed with my DM).

Please, I would appreciate your advice in which CANTRIPS and SPELLS to choose at each level. I would like to have a mix of offensive and utility spells.

THANKS!

Fran

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Depending which book you use, I'd go with something like this, going for thematic spells:

C: Frostbite, Prestidigitation, Mind sliver, Firebolt, Shocking Grasp, Sapping Sting
1: Chaos Bolt, Chromatic Orb
2: Mirror Image, Nathair's Mischief
3: Hypnotic Patterns, Slow
4: Banishment, Gravity Sinkhole
5: Bigby's Hand, Synaptic Static
6: Disintegrate, Globe on Invulnerability
7: Planeshift
8: Reality Break
9: Time Ravage

should make for an efficient sorcerer with funny and thematic spells, IMHO.

Depending which book you use, I'd go with something like this, going for thematic spells:

C: Frostbite, Prestidigitation, Mind sliver, Firebolt, Shocking Grasp, Sapping Sting

Metamagics?

Subtle + Quicken?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I love the Shocking Grasp cantrip as a sorcerer. Enemies like to swarm spellcasters on the battlefield, and this cantrip punishes them for it. Basically if you do any damage at all to them with this cantrip they lose their Reactions--which means they can't hit you with an opportunity attack when you retreat...or do anything else that requires their Reaction (cast Counterspell, cast Shield, use Uncanny Dodge, use readied actions, etc.). There's no save throw, and not even Resistance can help them keep their Reaction. So if the enemy gets a little too close for comfort, reach out and shock 'em.

Get a little more extra mileage out of it with the Twinned Spell metamagic option. (Or Quickened Spell, but it costs 2 sorcery points.)

homer simpson simpsons GIF

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Dear Friends,

I am starting my first D&D campaign ever. The campaign will go from level 1 to level 6.

i am playing a wild magic sorcerer (agreed with my DM).

Please, I would appreciate your advice in which CANTRIPS and SPELLS to choose at each level. I would like to have a mix of offensive and utility spells.

THANKS!

Fran
All right

so the big challenge with sorcerers is that you don't know a lot of spells, and that limited selection is all you have to work with. So you can't take spells that "repeat" - that do more or less the same thing but one is a little better than the other (because it's higher level). So I don't have a lot of time to make a list at that moment, but it should be something to keep in mind when you make your PC.

Things you need:
  • A "defensive" spell - shield is a good example, but there are others
  • An "escape" spell. Invisibility is a great one, misty step another
  • An attack spell

The rest you can be more flexible, but if you have those 3 bases covered, you're going to increase your survivability chances

Cantrips: Firebolt unless there is another ranged attack roll cantrip more thematic to your build. I personally also like Shocking Grasp but much of it's utility is in having something to use in melee, and any saving throw based cantrip works just as well for that, of which the best choice is Mind Sliver (it uses an Intelligence save, and it's usually easy to guess when an enemy is likely to have crap INT, and it has a powerful rider effect). Personally I'd take the Shocking Grasp or a saving throw cantrip at level 1 and add the other when the character gets an additional cantrip at level 4. My go-to utility cantrips are Message, Minor Illusion, and Prestidigitation, but which one or two make most sense for you will depend on playstyle (and for some people the answer will be Mage Hand). Read over them and see what seems appealing. Presidigitation is mostly for roleplaying but it gets a lot of roleplaying mileage. The others have a lot more direct utility, but are less general purpose.

For leveled spells I'll give a lot of suggestions, pick whatever appeals to who you want your character to be and, for higher levels, what your campaign is like.

1st Level Spells: Unless you are the rare race that has natural armor or racial armor proficiency I'd start with Mage Armor or Shield (Sorcerers can't really afford both) so that you have a chance of not being hit at low levels when you have a truly tiny amount of HP. Consider swapping out when you have a little more HP and other defensive magic options. Sleep and Magic Missile are the most helpful things a 1st or 2nd level mage can generally contribute to combat with their spell slots, consider taking one to trade out later. Chaos Bolt is the most thematic spell to Wild Magic sorcery.

2nd Level: So many good spells here. As far as out of combat utility I think Invisibility gets the most mileage and is just a fun spell if you've never gotten to use it before. Suggestion is one you will use more rarely, but when it works it can change a whole campaign or negate a major encounter.

Damage-wise I like Shatter, until you trade it out for Fireball. Defense wise Mirror Image is great if you find you have a round to buff up before or during combat, or if you take Quicken Spell.

I think it's good from an action economy standpoint to have one of your 2nd level spells be bonus action based. Flaming Sphere is an efficient choice for that. Misty Step is good as it is both an escape method and occasionally a way to get past barriers.

Level 3: Another banner level. Offensewise take Fireball. It's iconic for a reason. Hypnotic Pattern or Fear are both great, but really shine with the Careful Spell metamagic.

Haste is also always powerful, and more so if you took the Twin Spell metamagic.

Fly does what it says on the tin. Lot of utility in that in lots of situations. Just be aware that unlike a Wizard you probably can't afford to also take Featherfall so be careful. Or don't, after all... WILD MAGE!

If you can afford the ASI at level 4, or get a level 1 feat, definitely take Metamagic Adept from Tasha's. It makes low level Sorcerer a lot more awesome and a lot less like a poor man's Wizard. If you can convince your DM to at some point give you a feywild shard (an uncommon magic item also from Tasha's) you will likely find that all parties involved are more satisfied with the Wild Magic subclass.

This is quite a good list that combines theme with effectiveness. One thing I would do different would be to substitute Chromatic Orb (which has a significant overlap with Chaos Bolt) for Shield.

Remove ads