Critical Role Wildemount: Most Pre-orders Since D&D Core Rulebooks

It seems that the most popular D&D setting in the 5E era is... Wildemount! Talking about the upcoming Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, WotC's Greg Tito said on a Twitch stream recently that "we're pretty sure that this book has seen the most pre-orders and pre-release excitement since any of the core rulebooks for Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition were released".

It seems that the most popular D&D setting in the 5E era is... Wildemount! Talking about the upcoming Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, WotC's Greg Tito said on a Twitch stream recently that "we're pretty sure that this book has seen the most pre-orders and pre-release excitement since any of the core rulebooks for Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition were released".

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 12.10.09 PM.png

Here's the quote in full:

"...It was number 1, ranked number 1, for all books on Amazon. How many of you out there remember when Amazon was just selling books? Raise your hands. Yeah, that's me. So it's really cool, even though obviously I do a lot more other fun stuff right now, there is a ton out there that are excited for this book, and it isn't even out yet.

"We have little bit of an internal metrics, but we're pretty sure that this book has seen the most pre-orders and pre-release excitement since any of the core rulebooks for Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition were released, and if you've been following along at home, Dungeons & Dragons has been selling like hotcakes since 5th Edition released in 2014."

It sounds like the Critical Role setting is proving more popular (at least right now) than traditional D&D settings like Ravenloft or Eberron, newer ones like Ravnica, or adventures set in the Forgotten Realms.

Explorer's Guide to Wildemount will hit game stores on March 17th.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
That says a lot about your ethics as marketer.

Does it?

Let's say you're buying toothpaste, and an ad says "7 out of 10 people choose this toothpaste!" Some people hear that and think the toothpaste must be good, because other people buy it. But that's not true; just because something is popular, doesn't make it good. It could be cheap. It could just be available in a lot of stores. Maybe it's got a colorful box.

So saying "7 out of 10 people choose this toothpaste" is a misleading ad because it literally doesn't mean anything, but people trust it anyway. But it's not a lie. It's completely true; you're just falling for it.

So when you say something is "inspired" by something, and "inspired" is something purposefully said because it's nearly impossible to prove... it's not a lie. It's a marketing gimmick, and you fell for it.

I don't like gimmicks myself and work hard to prove to my clients that our product is the best because it's the best (and I literally point out these gimmicks used by competitors). But if you want to be an informed customer, you should be informed enough to not fall for gimmicks.

gyor

Legend
You're the one who whenever wotc hires a woman, questions her qualifications and implies she only got hired because she was a woman over an assumed higher qualified man. So maybe you shouldn't call others out on their ethics.

That isn't true at all, I critized people who unfairly called other people sexists for critizing the nepotism that was involved in hiring Kate Welsh when she didn't meet WotCs own standards for qualification. And I have never critized any other female hirings at WotC at all, not even indirectly, I like Emi for example, I adore the writing of Erin M. Evans (btw), who I wish WotC would hire back, Elaine Cunningham and more.

I wasn't even going to weigh in on the Kate Welsh hire originally until I saw critics of the hire being slandered.

I have no ill will towards Kate Welsh, my issue was never really with her at all.

There are many great female game designers and fantasy writers in general.

I really resent the accusation against me honestly and I would like an apology as it wasn't true.

gyor

Legend
Does it?

Let's say you're buying toothpaste, and an ad says "7 out of 10 people choose this toothpaste!" Some people hear that and think the toothpaste must be good, because other people buy it. But that's not true; just because something is popular, doesn't make it good. It could be cheap. It could just be available in a lot of stores. Maybe it's got a colorful box.

So saying "7 out of 10 people choose this toothpaste" is a misleading ad because it literally doesn't mean anything, but people trust it anyway. But it's not a lie. It's completely true; you're just falling for it.

So when you say something is "inspired" by something, and "inspired" is something purposefully said because it's nearly impossible to prove... it's not a lie. It's a marketing gimmick, and you fell for it.

I don't like gimmicks myself and work hard to prove to my clients that our product is the best because it's the best (and I literally point out these gimmicks used by competitors). But if you want to be an informed customer, you should be informed enough to not fall for gimmicks.

I would call that a scam and unethical sales practice, but your right it's technically true. But saying something is inspired by 5e when its very much not and you know full well what the means to those who read that IS lying, it's not misdirection, it's lying.

If that is what your doing to people via marketing you might want to rethink what you do for a living, deliberately misleading people into buying products you know are crap isn't good. I'm not saying I'm perfect, but wow.

Sacrosanct

Legend
That isn't true at all, I critized people who unfairly called other people sexists for critizing the nepotism that was involved in hiring Kate Welsh when she didn't meet WotCs own standards for qualification. And I have never critized any other female hirings at WotC at all, not even indirectly, I like Emi for example, I adore the writing of Erin M. Evans (btw), who I wish WotC would hire back, Elaine Cunningham and more.

I wasn't even going to weigh in on the Kate Welsh hire originally until I saw critics of the hire being slandered.

I have no ill will towards Kate Welsh, my issue was never really with her at all.

I really resent the accusation against me honestly and I would like an apology as it wasn't true.
You weren't even gonna comment until you saw all the slander of her critics?

You were literally the first person to comment on that thread 🤷🏼‍♂️

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

You called someone in this thread unethical in their own profession, and then called other people liars when they both were not lying and also you hadn't even checked out the product to see if your accusation was accurate or not. And you're going to demand an apology from someone else because you think they're being unfair characterizing prior comments from you?

If you're going to dish it out, learn to take it. Again, this is a bad look for you today. You're not usually this thoughtless in your commentary.

gyor

Legend
You weren't even gonna comment until you saw all the slander of her critics?

You were literally the first person to comment on that thread 🤷🏼‍♂️

The slander of the critics started long before it got here on twitter. Anyways even if you think I was on the wrong side of hiring Kate Welsh issue or not, saying I complain whenever WotC hires women is a lie and smear against my reputation here. I support the talents of many female game designers and fantasy/sci fi writers. Tomorrow if I'm not working (weather dependant), I will put together a list of my favourite female game designers and Fantasy-Sci Fi writers. I still want an apology.

Sacrosanct

Legend
The slander of the critics started long before it got here on twitter. Anyways even if you think I was on the wrong side of hiring Kate Welsh issue or not, saying I complain whenever WotC hires women is a lie and smear against my reputation here. I support the talents of many female game designers and fantasy/sci fi writers. Tomorrow if I'm not working (weather dependant), I will put together a list of my favourite female game designers and Fantasy-Sci Fi writers. I still want an apology.
Your "I like some black people so I can't be racist" logic doesn't hold water.

You were literally the first person to respond in that thread, so you weren't defending any critics. And you weren't "I wasn't even gonna reply" obviously.

This is one of the things you said, which again isn't defending any critics (I'm on my phone so I can't quite tag):

Secondly there are tons of white men in abject poverty, so HOW DARE YOU CALL THEM PRIVELEDGED BASED ON THE COLOUR OF THEIR SKIN AND GENDER, you feel priveledged so all white men MUST be priveledged, secondly there are men who have been told right to their face that they would never be able to climb any higher in their industry because they we're white and male and there for not what companies are looking for.

And you might enjoy yourself hating hate man schtick, but it's wearing thin on the rest of us.

Is the war vet with no legs priveledged? Is the homeless man on the streets priveldged, is the poor man living in a trailer his whole life who gets called white trash by guys like you priveledged, is the guy living in his car because his wife took everything privileged? It's easy to call other white guys priveledged, because you have absolutely no idea what millions of other white men are going through, because you never thought to ask, you sere told white men are priveledged, and YOU NEVER QUESTIONED IT, you thought to ask why are white male suicides increasing, why are men in general falling behind in education and millions struggling. You have neither sympathy or understanding for say Rust Belt workers who lost jobs thanks to automation and trade treaty designed for the rich, who struggle to keep their families fed and clothed, sacrificing daily, while watching their marriages suffer under the strain. There are white men who get sexually assaulted who call help lines only to be accused of being a rapist by the person on the other end. Are all the men who lost their jobs based on unproven #Metoo allegations that circumvent due process orividled. Are the fathers who are dying on the inside because they never get to see their children, which being squeezed for every red cent they make by ex wives priveledged?

Your ignorance is profound and utter.

And getting a job just because you white and male is just as wrong, I equally condemn such deplorable behavior. I believe and racial and gender equality, something my follow lefties used to believe in too before the curse of intersectional feminism.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads