Critical Role Wildemount releases tomorrow

gyor

Legend
I've done a 90 minute video (with timestamps for ease of navigation) talking through the entire book. Something there may help. PM me for details or if allowed, I'll reply here in a bit with a link to my youtube.

Just link to your video, video reviews violate no rules.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
The 6-limbed issue is trickier, though.... But it does put into question the issues how they use weapons from the air. You can go the BotW way and have them start falling (or use Matrix slowtime) when they need to draw out their bow and fire an arrow, before catching themselves after putting the bow back away (similar idea for spears or daggers). Or you could have them use Foot Talon-operated weapons. and not stop flying. But all of those require more complex mechanics than 5e likes to utilize (simpler is more accessible).

They would use their feet. Most IRL birds have three toes pointing forward and one backwards (the anisodactyl foot) and many use their feet like hands. IRL birds like parrots use their feet mostly for manipulating food and grooming themselves. Tool-using crows typically use their beaks, but in a fantasy world it is not a stretch that bird-people would use their feet to wield weapons in flight.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Traditionally Firbolgs in FR are big human looking giant kin, with red hair.

But what they did in VGTMs is take the wood giant and rename it Firbolg, messing up the lore of both in 5e's often needlessly sloppy way. Seriously look up Wood Giants from previous editions and the appearance and abilities are very simular to the 5e Firbolgs. I love the race, but hate that they needlessly misnamed them.

Voadkyn

5e Firgbolg are Voadkyn aka Wood Giants, right down to the disguise self spell, which Firbolgs never traditionally got.

Why WotC doesn't just call them Voadkyn and instead messed up the lore by taking the name of a different kind of Giant and applying it to Voadkyn. In fact from now on I refuse to call them Firbolgs, they aren't, I'm calling them Voadkyn.

Traditional to where? I'd recommend reading this D&D Beyond article on the evolution of the Firbolg race in D&D and how 5e is actually a return to form in many ways.

Also, pretty much every other Fantasy game treats Firbolgs as the Wood Giant Race (and for good reason – they have a bit of that WoT Bolgier or Tolkien Entwife-thing going on in the original Celtic myths of the people they're based on). At some point D&D has to stop fighting the zeitgeist and play along, because otherwise people won't care about their portrayal and just go with what they know from the other sources.

D&D can't always lead the way. Sometimes it has to follow where the culture is going, and that's okay.

gyor

Legend
Traditional to where? I'd recommend reading this D&D Beyond article on the evolution of the Firbolg race in D&D and how 5e is actually a return to form in many ways.

Also, pretty much every other Fantasy game treats Firbolgs as the Wood Giant Race (and for good reason – they have a bit of that WoT Bolgier or Tolkien Entwife-thing going on in the original Celtic myths of the people they're based on). At some point D&D has to stop fighting the zeitgeist and play along, because otherwise people won't care about their portrayal and just go with what they know from the other sources.

D&D can't always lead the way. Sometimes it has to follow where the culture is going, and that's okay.

That article proved me right, but they should pointed out that 5e Firbolgs are really Voadkyn.

This guy yes
latest

These two and similar are made official by Wildemount
firbolgs.png

"Their bodies are bovine or camelid in appearance, with floppy, pointed ears and broad, pink noses, but they are bipedal and have hands that can manipulate weapons and objects." - Firbolg section, EGtW

These cute faces are perfect for a new races of antropomorphic pony-like centaur PC races, for fans of MLP:FiM. If there is a Ponyfinder setting, why not a D&D version of the Equestria champions?

Remove ads