Critical Role Wildemount releases tomorrow

Perun

Mushroom
Eagle-appearance is not mandatory and doesn't change anything. I've seen a LOT of people's 5e Aarakocra PC art, and it ranges the gamut from Parrots to Vultures to Eagles to Owls etc.

The 6-limbed issue is trickier, though. Personally, my preference for the Aarakocra race is more like the Zelda: Breath of the Wild Rito than this. But it does put into question the issues how they use weapons from the air. You can go the BotW way and have them start falling (or use Matrix slowtime) when they need to draw out their bow and fire an arrow, before catching themselves after putting the bow back away (similar idea for spears or daggers). Or you could have them use Foot Talon-operated weapons. and not stop flying. But all of those require more complex mechanics than 5e likes to utilize (simpler is more accessible).

I hate it as much as I hate 6-winged Dragons, but there are really important accessibility reasons for this. That said, so glad that homebrew is more implementable than EVER before…

In 2e they used their (foot) talons to wield spears -- and perhaps bows, memory's cloudy at the moment -- in flight.

Funnily enough, I re-read the EE companion aaracokra entry, and nowhere does it mention the arms separate from wings. It's only the art that gives them these... could it be that the artist got it wrong? It wouldn't be the first time... mezzoloths in 2e used to have one pair of hands, and then in 3e (IIRC) the artist misread the description, and gave them two pairs instead, and the thing stuck.

BRayne

Adventurer
In 2e they used their (foot) talons to wield spears -- and perhaps bows, memory's cloudy at the moment -- in flight.

Funnily enough, I re-read the EE companion aaracokra entry, and nowhere does it mention the arms separate from wings. It's only the art that gives them these... could it be that the artist got it wrong? It wouldn't be the first time... mezzoloths in 2e used to have one pair of hands, and then in 3e (IIRC) the artist misread the description, and gave them two pairs instead, and the thing stuck.

A vague description of the base art for Firbolgs (which I've heard is supposed to be a very specific appearance for a Druid?) lead to Bovine looking Firbolgs in Critical Role from artist interpretation, which have now been made official in this book. So I wouldn't doubt it.

teitan

Legend
A vague description of the base art for Firbolgs (which I've heard is supposed to be a very specific appearance for a Druid?) lead to Bovine looking Firbolgs in Critical Role from artist interpretation, which have now been made official in this book. So I wouldn't doubt it.

That art is also in Volo's Guide so no, you're not accurate in this.

BRayne

Adventurer
That art is also in Volo's Guide so no, you're not accurate in this.
This guy yes
latest

These two and similar are made official by Wildemount
firbolgs.png

"Their bodies are bovine or camelid in appearance, with floppy, pointed ears and broad, pink noses, but they are bipedal and have hands that can manipulate weapons and objects." - Firbolg section, EGtW

teitan

Legend
This guy yes
latest

These two and similar are made official by Wildemount
firbolgs.png

"Their bodies are bovine or camelid in appearance, with floppy, pointed ears and broad, pink noses, but they are bipedal and have hands that can manipulate weapons and objects." - Firbolg section, EGtW

So technically the bovine appearance was STILL already established in Volo. Also, technically it really only applies to Wildemount.

gyor

Legend
So technically the bovine appearance was STILL already established in Volo. Also, technically it really only applies to Wildemount.

Traditionally Firbolgs in FR are big human looking giant kin, with red hair.

But what they did in VGTMs is take the wood giant and rename it Firbolg, messing up the lore of both in 5e's often needlessly sloppy way. Seriously look up Wood Giants from previous editions and the appearance and abilities are very simular to the 5e Firbolgs. I love the race, but hate that they needlessly misnamed them.

Voadkyn

5e Firgbolg are Voadkyn aka Wood Giants, right down to the disguise self spell, which Firbolgs never traditionally got.

Why WotC doesn't just call them Voadkyn and instead messed up the lore by taking the name of a different kind of Giant and applying it to Voadkyn. In fact from now on I refuse to call them Firbolgs, they aren't, I'm calling them Voadkyn.

Matchstick

Adventurer
I'm stuck abroad and won't be able to get the physical book for, who knows how long. I may buy on DnD Beyond just to read.

I'd say I feel interested but not excited. I am at the point where I have more material than I can use in play. I bought the Eberron and Ravnica books, simply because I enjoyed reading them. Wildemont and Theros will be about the same I'm afraid. I'm starting to feel I'd be better off just sticking to free and low-cost books on my Kindle than paying for expensive setting books I'll likely never run.

At this point, would I would most like are more books like the Yawning Portal. Give me a collection of short adventures that I can run in 1-3 sessions, throw some new monsters in it. That would be the most value to me.

Don't know if this qualifies, it's probably a little long, but I figured it'd be something to point out. It's a Wildemount adventure from levels 1-3.

DaLich

Villager
Someone who has it: sell it, if possible, to someone who doesn't watch Critical Role and isn't likely to run the actual setting itself, but would intend to mine it. Thanks!

I've done a 90 minute video (with timestamps for ease of navigation) talking through the entire book. Something there may help. PM me for details or if allowed, I'll reply here in a bit with a link to my youtube.

Remove ads