• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wilderlands Players Guide

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Treebore said:
... Plus he is doing a C&C version...

So this is a C&C version of the Necromancer PG, and not the (rather different) Player's Guide for his version of the Wilderlands (the "Wilderlands of High Adventure" as opposed to the JG/Necro "Wilderlands of High Fantasy")?

I'm confused.

Mystaros

First Post
Hi Folks!

Sorry for the confusion. Here's the way things currently stand:

The first book to be published will be the Wilderlands of High Fantasy: Player's Guide to Races & Classes. This includes the following information from the original PGW for ver3.5, all revised and expanded:

Races
Classes
Skills
Feats
Languages
New Domains
New Spells
Gods and Deities

48 page booklet, full-color cover, ~$12 to $15, depending on the final cost (I've not done a color cover product yet, so we shall see how that prices out in the end). Those who have seen my products already know that I use very small font, very tight margins, and fill every page to the brim with useable content.

The second planned book is the Wilderlands of High Fantasy: Player's Guide to the City States. This will include expanded versions of the map overview, history (sans the pre-history, which should be Judge-only) geographic features, and cities chapters, plus new information such as myths, legends, and rumors. Most information will include the appropriate Knowledge checks and DCs required for players to know certain information. Again, all for ver3.5. As a (new) map will be included, the price will probably be ~$16 to $18.

Finally, there will be a third ver3.5 book, the Wilderlands of High Fantasy: Judge's Guide to Monsters & Treasure. This will include the monsters and other Judges-only information from the original PGW, plus new monsters, treasures, and other information.

Following these, there will be three products for Castles & Crusades that do essentially the same thing (Races & Classes, City States, and Judge's Guide) for the Wilderlands of High Adventure. As there is a LOT less crunch to these, the books will likely be smaller (32 or 40 pages).

Most products form AGP will be for the Wilderlands of High Adventure, using Castles & Crusades (and easily adapted by Judges to ver3.5). However, depending on how demand warrants it and sales of the new PGWs indicate demand is real, I might publish further Wilderlands of High Fantasy products for ver3.5. I have a license for both, and that was the original plan; WoHF products have a longer and more involved development time, though, as all WoHF products must be approved by Judges Guild. In fact, I sent off the first chapter of the PGW: R&C to Bob on Friday night... unfortunately, he did not see it before he passed. :(

It looks like plans for a 4E version of the Wilderlands, at least from Adventure Games Publishing, will be cancelled (my initial press release, which was sent to EN World but for whatever reason never posted, mentioned that the 4E plans wqere "pending the nature of the GSL"). Well, now it looks like either way under the GSL this will be impossible; and I'm not about to form a second company and play some weird shell game to do it. Maybe Necro will, but my understading is they plan to focus on their own campaign setting in the future.

Similarly, plans to include 4E articles in Adventure Games Journal are now nixed, as I'm not about to eliminate C&C and ver3.5 coverage from the magazine (not to mention coverage of other RPGs if "all OGL games" are kept from play thanks to the GSL). And of course, if the GSL requirements are "by company," there won't be any 4E products from AGP, ever. C&C, StarSIEGE, and other C&C-based games are our focus, and will remain so, though I'm happy to support plenty of other games that are willing to "play nice." Games and companies that want to kick all the other kids off of the playground are not welcome.

Last edited:

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Thanks for the clarification, James. Your plans sound good.

Small question: will you consider including 'retro-clone' material (i.e., Labyrinth Lord and OSRIC) in AGJ?

Mystaros

First Post
Akrasia said:
Small question: will you consider including 'retro-clone' material (i.e., Labyrinth Lord and OSRIC) in AGJ?

At this time I have no plans to include articles for LL, BF, OSRIC, or any of the other reetro-clone game systems. Castles & Crusades covers the d20/D&D-retro-clone territory quite well, I think, and anything done in C&C can readily be converted to any of the retro-clone games or ver3.5. We've hitched our wagon to C&C, and plan to support it and its derivative lines such as StarSIEGE and Basic C&C.

Treebore

First Post
Akrasia said:
So this is a C&C version of the Necromancer PG, and not the (rather different) Player's Guide for his version of the Wilderlands (the "Wilderlands of High Adventure" as opposed to the JG/Necro "Wilderlands of High Fantasy")?

I'm confused.

*delete* add what James said.

S'mon

Legend
Mystaros said:
At this time I have no plans to include articles for LL, BF, OSRIC, or any of the other reetro-clone game systems. Castles & Crusades covers the d20/D&D-retro-clone territory quite well, I think, and anything done in C&C can readily be converted to any of the retro-clone games or ver3.5. We've hitched our wagon to C&C, and plan to support it and its derivative lines such as StarSIEGE and Basic C&C.

I've been finding that C&C has exactly the right general 'feel' and level of complexity for the Wilderlands, I think a fair few others have noticed the same thing. It seems like the best choice for a core system.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Mystaros said:

Fair enough, but disappointing. I like 1E but can't stand C&C. With 4e on the way (which I also don't like), I was hoping we'd see more support for OSRIC or good 1e knock-offs

Treebore

First Post
trancejeremy said:
Fair enough, but disappointing. I like 1E but can't stand C&C. With 4e on the way (which I also don't like), I was hoping we'd see more support for OSRIC or good 1e knock-offs

??? Have you looked at C&C stat blocks? They should look very familiar. Definitely enough to turn into 1E/OSRIC material very easily. Easier than it is for me to take 1E and OSRIC material and convert it to C&C, since so much info for 1E is in the tables (saves, attack rolls, etc... since you typically have those memorized for 1E anyways).

der_kluge

Adventurer
Heh, you should release it all "generically" just as Bob did in the original "universal" system he devised.

That'd be REALLY old school right there.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Mystaros said:

Fair enough. I'm a fan of C&C as well, and you're right that it's easy to convert between C&C, Basic/Classic D&D, and AD&D (including the 'retro-clones' of the latter two games).
:)

Remove ads