• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wilderlands Players Guide

Akrasia

Procrastinator
trancejeremy said:
Fair enough, but disappointing. I like 1E but can't stand C&C. With 4e on the way (which I also don't like), I was hoping we'd see more support for OSRIC or good 1e knock-offs

This makes no sense. It's trivially easy to use C&C material with 1e AD&D -- just reverse the ACs! So even if you dislike the C&C rules, using C&C material -- including James's Wilderlands material -- with 1e AD&D should be a snap.

ivocaliban

First Post
Great stuff!

I may have to pick up both the 3.5e and C&C versions. I really want to give C&C a try (I have the Player's Handbook and Monsters & Treasure), but I haven't convinced any of my fellow gamers to switch...even for a trial run. This has kept me from purchasing more C&C material so far, but I love the Wilderlands enough to move in that direction even if I won't get the chance to use the system.

S'mon

Legend
Akrasia said:
Goodman Games has C&C versions for five of the 'Dungeon Crawl Classics'.

And they're good too - IMO they fit my preferred C&C feel better than do Troll Lords' own scenarios, which tend towards a dark Tolkienesque feel. Goodman's feel more like 1e scenarios.
Rutkowsky's conversion work from 3e is mostly very good, too.

Treebore

First Post
S'mon said:
And they're good too - IMO they fit my preferred C&C feel better than do Troll Lords' own scenarios, which tend towards a dark Tolkienesque feel. Goodman's feel more like 1e scenarios.
Rutkowsky's conversion work from 3e is mostly very good, too.

I have to say, when I ran the Goodman DCC, um, I think "Demon Prince" is in the title, converting it on the fly from 3E to C&C, the adventure certainly felt like an old 1E module. To me it felt like a mix of the Tharizdun module and that other one with Iggwilv's vampiric daughter and Duords Wondrous Lanthorne in it. Lost Caverns of Tsojanth?

I also have to agree the "A" series definitely has some strong parallels to Tolkien and LotR.

Remove ads