Wilderlands Players Guide

Akrasia

Procrastinator
trancejeremy said:
Fair enough, but disappointing. I like 1E but can't stand C&C. With 4e on the way (which I also don't like), I was hoping we'd see more support for OSRIC or good 1e knock-offs

This makes no sense. It's trivially easy to use C&C material with 1e AD&D -- just reverse the ACs! So even if you dislike the C&C rules, using C&C material -- including James's Wilderlands material -- with 1e AD&D should be a snap.

ivocaliban

First Post
Great stuff!

I may have to pick up both the 3.5e and C&C versions. I really want to give C&C a try (I have the Player's Handbook and Monsters & Treasure), but I haven't convinced any of my fellow gamers to switch...even for a trial run. This has kept me from purchasing more C&C material so far, but I love the Wilderlands enough to move in that direction even if I won't get the chance to use the system.

S'mon

Legend
Akrasia said:
Goodman Games has C&C versions for five of the 'Dungeon Crawl Classics'.

And they're good too - IMO they fit my preferred C&C feel better than do Troll Lords' own scenarios, which tend towards a dark Tolkienesque feel. Goodman's feel more like 1e scenarios.
Rutkowsky's conversion work from 3e is mostly very good, too.

Treebore

First Post
S'mon said:
And they're good too - IMO they fit my preferred C&C feel better than do Troll Lords' own scenarios, which tend towards a dark Tolkienesque feel. Goodman's feel more like 1e scenarios.
Rutkowsky's conversion work from 3e is mostly very good, too.

I have to say, when I ran the Goodman DCC, um, I think "Demon Prince" is in the title, converting it on the fly from 3E to C&C, the adventure certainly felt like an old 1E module. To me it felt like a mix of the Tharizdun module and that other one with Iggwilv's vampiric daughter and Duords Wondrous Lanthorne in it. Lost Caverns of Tsojanth?

I also have to agree the "A" series definitely has some strong parallels to Tolkien and LotR.

Remove ads