D&D 4E Will 4E be announced at D&D Experience?

Will 4E be announced at D&D Experience?

• Yes

Votes: 98 24.9%
  • No

Votes: 295 75.1%

Gotham Gamemaster

First Post
Shroomy said:
Its often stated that the WoTC D&D strategy is to cater to the players via options books because players far outnumber DMs. While I don't see WoTC abandoning this philosophy, I think that WoTC is now focusing on the longterm viability of the game by fostering a growth in DMing, which is why we are seeing an explosion of pre-published adventures (with focus on both introductory DMs and long-term campaigns) and "how-to" DM aids.

The D&D marketing staff at the con stated that their research indicated that a lack of DMs was holding up growth of the game. D&D has a partnership with Meetup.com and those boards indicate thousands (IIRC) of players in search of DMs. So WoTC is publishing products to support DMs and reduce the player-DM "gap."

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
CaptainChaos said:
Even thought it's already over and the announcement was not made?

The announcement was probably very discreet and quiet like, so that WotC later can claim "we did give a one year notice, we announced it in the dark cellar, in that closet with the sign saying "beware of the leopard. And we left the design specs there for anyone to look at for at least a year. It's not our fault if you couldn't be be arsed to check it out".

/M

jasin

Explorer
Shroomy said:
Its often stated that the WoTC D&D strategy is to cater to the players via options books because players far outnumber DMs. While I don't see WoTC abandoning this philosophy, I think that WoTC is now focusing on the longterm viability of the game by fostering a growth in DMing, which is why we are seeing an explosion of pre-published adventures (with focus on both introductory DMs and long-term campaigns) and "how-to" DM aids.
A question for those who have been in the game longer than I have: do you find that less people are willing to DM nowadays than in the days of 1E or 2E?

Did the catering to players and the relaxation of the "DM is always right" mentality take away a significant part of the appeal of DMing?

In my group, DMing is often percieved as something of a chore. Not without its own rewards, and it's something someone has to take upon themselves to do, but mostly it seems to be considered a less desirable position than that of a player. Was that different in 1E or 2E?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
jasin said:
In my group, DMing is often percieved as something of a chore. Not without its own rewards, and it's something someone has to take upon themselves to do, but mostly it seems to be considered a less desirable position than that of a player. Was that different in 1E or 2E?

Not at all. I think the dynamic has been similar for as long as I've been playing. Folks who have as much or more of a passion for DMing as playing have always been hard to find, in my experience.

eris404

Explorer
jasin said:
A question for those who have been in the game longer than I have: do you find that less people are willing to DM nowadays than in the days of 1E or 2E?

Can't say in general, but in our group we have more people who want to DM than we have time for.

jasin said:
Did the catering to players and the relaxation of the "DM is always right" mentality take away a significant part of the appeal of DMing?

Not in our group, but that might just be the personality of the players. If a situation isn't neatly explained by a rule, more often than not the players look to the DM to make a judgment and go with it. If the DM doesn't feel like looking up an odd rule and makes something up on the spot, the players will almost always go with it (it has to be obviously unfair for anyone in our group to object). If the DM has house rules, we go with it. We're easy like Sunday morning. :)

jasin said:

I vaguely remember running games in 1E, but then I took a 14 year hiatus from gaming and didn't run anything in 2E. From what I do remember of 1e, I think running a game in 3e is much easier for me and there are definitely fewer rules "discussions," but again, that could just be the personalities of the players in our group.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Umbran said:
Not at all. I think the dynamic has been similar for as long as I've been playing. Folks who have as much or more of a passion for DMing as playing have always been hard to find, in my experience.

Ditto. I think DMing has always been something only a few really want to do.

Cheers!

Remove ads