• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Will 4E be the PS3 of D&D?

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Hi-

A thought accured to me when I was shopping around for games for my PS2, they are still making them and PS3 seems to be sliding further and further down the road of obscurity. And Sony is the big kauna of Vidio games ya know.

So, will this happen to 4E? IE it gets published but it turns out to be like PS3 a minor blip or the gamer list?

Scott

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
You mean will it be very expensive, need several fixes and patches right off the bat, and be overshadowed by its predecessor as well as by competing systems?

Man I hope not!

maybe. it might be more like the wii. Everyone loves it, but no one has one and nothing it has sells other than the machine itself, then of course you have the 360 thats kicking its butt in sales in America. So whos gonna be the 360?

The Souljourner

First Post
PS3? You mean the powerhouse of the bunch, rock solid stable, comes out a bit later, but once people start looking at what it can do, they love it. The 360 is 2nd edition. You think it's good when you have it, but then it just starts falling apart. And the wii is like some crappy fast play rules that are super light, but you get bored of after a couple games.

So, yeah, 4e will be like the PS3... which outsold the 360 in july btw.

-Nate

Blind Azathoth

Explorer
The Souljourner said:
So, yeah, 4e will be like the PS3... which outsold the 360 in july btw.

And has not every other month. And is losing in total sales to the Wii in every territory, and to the 360 in America and almost certainly Europe as well. And is ridiculously expensive, compared to both its previous incarnation and its competitors. And is also overly complex and difficult to develop for, which has led third parties to focus development elsewhere (along with the generally disappointing sales). And which has turned what was once the only division of Sony that made a lot of money, the games division, into the division responsible for losing Sony millions of dollars. :)

So it's a good thing 4e will be nothing like the PS3.

psionotic

Arashi Ravenblade said:
maybe. it might be more like the wii. Everyone loves it, but no one has one and nothing it has sells other than the machine itself, then of course you have the 360 thats kicking its butt in sales in America. So whos gonna be the 360?

The 360 does still have a bigger base in the US, but their lead is eroding quickly: And Nintendo has just surpassed Microsoft in total sold, even though its been out for a year less:
http://www.vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=508

At current sales rates, the Wii will surpass the 360 in the US, though things depend of course on software releases, etc.

Last edited:

Khairn

First Post
I would love to think so, but I doubt.

WotC's sheer size (in the RPG market) and the vast numbers of players who think RPG=D&D (and anything WotC says) will create the critical mass needed to make 4E a success.

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Hi-

Good points guys but what I am trying to get across is the simple fact that many people are still plowing through 3.5 IE the players handbook II just came out a few months back and I'm sure people want to play something out of that supplement.

The Dragon Compendium from Piazo another recent release, has some really great weapons and other interesting tid bits contained in its tome that I am sure people would like to play.

Will 4E have a revised version with in the year like it predecessors? I think it will, so I personally will hold off on buying it for at least 6 months.

I dont mind 4E coming out, but with the dearth of really cool 3.5 supplements, I think this may have been bad timing, at the very least, WoTC should have given those with the DMG II and PHB II at a couple of years to play with those add on's.

Scott

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads