• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Will 4E be the PS3 of D&D?

D.Shaffer

First Post
Xyxox said:
But then again, if I had that sort of manual dexterity I'd be playing WoW instead of D&D and wouldn't still ahve copies of X-Com turn based computer games running in a DOS box on my computer, either.
have you checked out a DS yet? Lots of turn based goodness for that system either already there or coming out soon. It's even getting its own version of Civ, as well as ports of various older strategy games.

On a more thread related matter, and trying to ignore the console wars going on:

What system DO you think is more applicable to 4th, and what do the others represent? IE, if the 360 is 4th, what's the DS?

DonTadow

First Post
Let's just hope its not like the dreamcast

THe ps3 is still doing strong and this next year, if gencon's lineup was any indication, is going to blow or socks off. D and d 4th edition can't compare because there is no version of xbox. Heck, the closest thing to xbox was iron heroes and their designers are working on dand4e

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Found what is apparently the answer to my question of DI portability to console gaming on the 4E FAQ, from someone named "WotC_DM":

5)Since DI is so compute-intensive, will you be porting it to xbox 360 and ps3?
5)I do not see the point of your question.. Will a CAD program done for architects be ported to xbox 360 and ps3 because it is 3D intensive? I'm sure some are even more compute-intensive than D&DI...

The answer seems kind of dismissive, actually (at least that bit about "do not see the point of your question" does).

In any event, I would hope that they would at least consider this. I know that I might be more inclined to take a look at it if it were cross-platform useable rather than just PC only (I do most of my gaming on PC admittedly, but I think they might be able to reach a broader market of folks if it were available on console as well, especially given the extensive online concole communities out there like XBox Live and hopefully soon PS3 Home.)

DonTadow

First Post
Cthulhudrew said:
Found what is apparently the answer to my question of DI portability to console gaming on the 4E FAQ, from someone named "WotC_DM":

The answer seems kind of dismissive, actually (at least that bit about "do not see the point of your question" does).

In any event, I would hope that they would at least consider this. I know that I might be more inclined to take a look at it if it were cross-platform useable rather than just PC only (I do most of my gaming on PC admittedly, but I think they might be able to reach a broader market of folks if it were available on console as well, especially given the extensive online concole communities out there like XBox Live and hopefully soon PS3 Home.)
Because it sounds like a silly question. This isnot a computer game (xbox and ps3 are gaming machines). This is a database and mapping application. It uses the highend capabiblities of windows vista.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
in this case there is no Wii and there is no 360, just not that kind of competition right now.

A better analogy is Windows Vista. Which really only has to compete with older versions of Windows. And is not doing such a great job, from what I know.

But I don't think it will be like Vista. It will actually have features that people can see make it a better game, while not putting massive new demands on their resources (well, maybe the DI will...).

Kae'Yoss

First Post
So you want to know whether 4e will be overpriced* and still not as fun as other RPGs with "inferior" technology and be released by one of the most arrogant and despicable company on the planet, who will spy on us and when discovered, will claim that stupid people deserve to be spied on, and who will insult White Wolf and basically call the World of Darkness crap?

Don't think so. Before Wizards starts suing people, I won't change my mind.

*Which will be justified by claiming that with 4e, you won't need poker cards, or a TV, or any computer games any more.

Jim DelRosso

First Post
This thread gave me visions of commercials in which a baby doll looks at a 4e PHB, and bursts into flames. *shudder*

On the other hand, Wii-style commercials in which Mike Mearls and James Wyatt go to people's houses and get them to roll up characters and fight a dragon would totally rock. :D

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Jim DelRosso said:
This thread gave me visions of commercials in which a baby doll looks at a 4e PHB, and bursts into flames. *shudder*

On the other hand, Wii-style commercials in which Mike Mearls and James Wyatt go to people's houses and get them to roll up characters and fight a dragon would totally rock. :D

QFT. Just the thought of such commercials is made of win! :D

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
TerraDave said:
A better analogy is Windows Vista. Which really only has to compete with older versions of Windows. And is not doing such a great job, from what I know.
Well, as long as 4e isn't the Windows Me of D&D...

Awakened

First Post
You guys are making me want to set fire to my video game systems and indiscriminately kill everyone I see playing Warcraft or prancing about with a Wii remote strapped to his or her wrist.
By this I mean, no. The parallel that it might be coming to soon? Need errata/fixes? Well, we'll just have to see.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads