• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will I like Dragonlance books?

Mallus

Legend
Galeros said:
Touché...

Seriously though, I can understand enjoying Dragonlance... it all depends what you're reading for. I think their prose is a like a hot needle to the optic nerve, but some people, with higher pain thresholds, I imagine, can see past their actual words straight away into the story, which admittedly, isn't half bad.

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Mallus said:
Touché...

Seriously though, I can understand enjoying Dragonlance... it all depends what you're reading for. I think their prose is a like a hot needle to the optic nerve, but some people, with higher pain thresholds, I imagine, can see past their actual words straight away into the story, which admittedly, isn't half bad.

I do not find the writing in any DL book really bad. I can not understand why so many people claim it is bad. One of the major reasons I like it too is because of the world. Sure, there may be other fantasy books out there, but they do not have the Knights of Solamnia, or the Tinker Gnomes, or the Wizards of High Sorcery, the Legion of Steel, the Knights of Neraka, Wild Sorcery, and Mysticism. I like both the writing in the books and the world. :)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Galeros said:
I do not find the writing in any DL book really bad. I can not understand why so many people claim it is bad.
Because, while it has some fun ideas, some neat scenes and some likable characters, they're all delivered with all the writing panache of a below-grade-level 7th grader.

It doesn't make someone a bad person if they like the novels, but enjoying a Twinkie doesn't make it great cuisine.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*four*

*is glad someone mentioned Bakker* His works have been a wonderful blend of 1,001 Arabian Nights and classic post-modern fantasy.

Anyway read Dragonlance and decide for yourself. While I've moved on to other works, some of the characters, especially Raistilin stick with me.

phoenixgod2000

First Post
Bah to Bakkar!

Mallus said:
Nice list.

I'd throw R. Scott Bakkar into the mix, too. His Prince of Nothing books are my favorite new fantasy...

wow, I read Bakkar because of a recomendation and honestly, while he has a lot of good ideas, I found his characters to be navel gazers of the worst sort. All they do is have the same arguements over and over again and move the plot forward once every hundred pages. I'm halfway through the third book and I can barely maintain enough interest to read a few pages a night.

As for Dragonlance, I believe that Raistlin Majere (one of the main characters) is one of my top five favorite fantasy characters ever and speaking as someone who has a heart of ice, several DL novels have scenes which genuinely choke me up--and choke up my father and he hates fantasy.

I would also check out the Deathstalker series by Simon Green. Most fun Space Opera since Star Wars.

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Because, while it has some fun ideas, some neat scenes and some likable characters, they're all delivered with all the writing panache of a below-grade-level 7th grader.

It doesn't make someone a bad person if they like the novels, but enjoying a Twinkie doesn't make it great cuisine.

I do not think I will ever convince you heathens that Dragonlance is like holy ambrosia. :p

Mycanid

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:

Afraid I agree with the good dwarf ... after all, we fellow underdark citizens have somewhat similar tastes.

I really didn't enjoy DL myself. :\

I guess one of the main reasons was the cardboard like characters. I just didn't "jive" with them. (The kender were one of the biggest turnoffs for me, admittedly.) The first three books were tolerable. After that it got old and dreadfully boring for me....

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads