• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Will Kalashtar be the 4E Aasimar?

Wolfwood2

Explorer
I've been thinking about something we heard about fairly early in the 4E design process, the effort to make aasimar as interesting as their tiefling counterparts. It occured to me that the Kalshtar from the Eberron campaign setting are a pretty good example of how to go about it.

After all, aren't Kalashtar essentially aasimar? They're a race descended from humans who were infused with the power of good outsiders. Yet just as with the 4E tieflings, their origin is more complicated than mere breeding. The Kalashtar backstory is fairly dripping with potential plot hooks and story elements. It includes both the obvious (the enemity of the dreaming dark) and the subtle (influence from the quori sprits they're bonded to).

Just as with aasimar, kalashtar are inherently inclined to good. Yet they managed to be as cool as the bad boy tieflings because:

1. There are a good born from darkness and persecution.
2. They share a secret knowledge and responsibility that makes kalshtar players feel special.
3. They're from Shangri-La.

Obviously some of this will have to translate to something less dependent on the campaign setting, but they can have at least as much 'implied setting' as the tieflings. I submit that the kalashtar are what the 4E aasimar should strive to be.

Agent4Teen

First Post
Hey, that's a really good idea! The Kalashtar were always one of my favorite parts of Eberron, and their backstory is amazing. They'd be perfect to replace the Aasimar (and Kalashtar is a lot cooler-sounding, too...)

I second your proposal!

Green Knight

First Post
I prefer Celestial, myself, which is the name they're going with in in Races & Classes. Kalashtar is far to specific (Nevermind that there's the whole psionic aspect to them). A name change is a definite must, though. I'm tired of seeing people misspell Aasimar as Assimar (I've even seen it misspelled that way in a Forgotten Realms supplement!).

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
I'm not too fond of the word Celestial (it's a egregrious word used to denote the Chinese) and Kalashtar sounds too sci-fi. I'm all about the tride and true Aasimar (a-ZEEM-are). ;)

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
I think this is a pretty brilliant idea. I for one really dig the Kalashtar, and even if Kalashtar themselves are not the new Aasimar, something like them would do quite nicely.

Stogoe

First Post
Please don't call them the Butt-imar. Ick.

I don't understand what's wrong with Celestial - something to do with the Chinese? What?

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Moniker said:
egregrious

HULK NOT THINK PUNY COBRA MAN USE RIGHT WORD.

CELESTIAL NOT "GLARING" HULK USE GOOGLE.

MAYBE PUNY COBRA MAN MEAN ARCHAIC OR OUTDATED.

CELESTIAL MEAN OF THE STARS STOLEN AND APPLIED TO CHINESE AND NOT REALLY A NEGTATIVE APPELATION.

Last edited:

Remove ads