• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Will Kalashtar be the 4E Aasimar?

Zamkaizer

First Post
Kishin said:
Actually, its a form derived from a Latin word meaning 'sky' or 'heaven'. I'm curious as to where you got this notion.
China was, and still is, occasionally, referred to as the Celestial Empire, a fact I first encountered several days ago reading a piece of antebellum literature. I'm not certain why Moniker thinks it's a negative association, since it simply was western interpretation of the Chinese belief in the mandate of heaven.

Wikipedia, however, seems to offer a rather badly cited support of the possible negative connotation.

Cyronax

Explorer
Zamkaizer said:
China was, and still is, occasionally, referred to as the Celestial Empire, a fact I first encountered several days ago reading a piece of antebellum literature. I'm not certain why Moniker thinks it's a negative association, since it simply was western interpretation of the Chinese belief in the mandate of heaven.

Wikipedia, however, seems to offer a rather badly cited support of the possible negative connotation.

Well he's partially right (Moniker). Just by watching the HBO series Deadwood and a little knowledge about China myself (having lived there and once spoke the language pretty well), the term Celestial was used as a descriptive form in 19th century America for the Chinese. I honestly don't know if it started out as derogatory, but as with any poor ethnic minority back then ...... anything can be used derisively.

But(!) ........ I don't think this has anything to do with D&D 4e or 3.xe. The term 'celestial' is fair game for use as a synonym for angels.

Plus there's a type of tea that is seasoned with celestials, so instead of a gnome gnenocide ....perhaps we should be talking about an angelic holocaust?

C.I.D.

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
Zamkaizer said:
Not to mention Quori hardly look like anything traditionally associated with angels, either fantasy or biblical:

82160.jpg

Well, actually, that is reminiscent of sci-fi (very akin to fantasy) angels based on the Bible:

[sblock]
lilith-scaled.jpg

NGE03.gif

broderick7.jpg

Arael.jpg

Shamshel.jpg

Oh, and look, there goes an Aasimar right now!

Eva24DC_Kaworu.jpg

[/sblock]

Cyronax

Explorer
RyukenAngel said:
Well, actually, that is reminiscent of sci-fi (very akin to fantasy) angels based on the Bible:

[sblock]
lilith-scaled.jpg

NGE03.gif

broderick7.jpg

Arael.jpg

Shamshel.jpg

Oh, and look, there goes an Aasimar right now!

Eva24DC_Kaworu.jpg

[/sblock]

Wow. You are so anime, just like 4e ........... 4 shame.

Zamkaizer

First Post
RyukenAngel said:
Well, actually, that is reminiscent of sci-fi (very akin to fantasy) angels based on the Bible[...]
Only on the most superficial of levels. The Angels manifest in a variety of forms, but relative symmetry and a smooth, inorganic composition is the almost the only common factor they share, which rather puts them at odds with the textured asymmetry of the quori. The Evas, with their armor removed, bear more resemblance to them, but only slightly so. I find it difficult, then, to imagine those vaguely lovecraftian creatures appearing amongst the alien technology and manifested concepts that compose the Angel's ranks.

Also, I would disagree that the Angel's appearance is based on anything more than a vague interpretation their name, theme, and Yoshiyuki Sadamoto's imagination. And, yes, I am somewhat familiar with both nephilim and the more alien conceptions of angels.

EDIT:And here's the most important part: Evangelion Angels and Old Testament angels =/= the New Testament angels and assorted lesser deities of other religions upon which D&D celestials are based.

Last edited:

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Klaus said:
I think the origin of 4E's "aasimars" can be quite obvious:

When the dark angel Asmodeus and his Host rose up in rebellion and slew the deity they served, a small percentage of that deity's angels stayed true and fought the rebels. Although defeated, these noble celestials managed to escape before that celestial realm was cast down into the form of the Nine Hells. They took refuge within the mortal forms of devout followers of the deceased deity. From this mingling of mortal flesh and celestial spirit arose the armaitin ("devoted"). Devils have a particular hatred of the armaitin, seeing them as scions of their ancestral foes. It is whispered in some circles that whatever pacts gave birth to the tieflings was intended as a mockery of the armaitin.
easily the coolest fluff idea yet; imho.

Belorin

Explorer
Klaus said:

When the dark angel Asmodeus and his Host rose up in rebellion and slew the deity they served, a small percentage of that deity's angels stayed true and fought the rebels. Although defeated, these noble celestials managed to escape before that celestial realm was cast down into the form of the Nine Hells. They took refuge within the mortal forms of devout followers of the deceased deity. From this mingling of mortal flesh and celestial spirit arose the armaitin ("devoted"). Devils have a particular hatred of the armaitin, seeing them as scions of their ancestral foes. It is whispered in some circles that whatever pacts gave birth to the tieflings was intended as a mockery of the armaitin.
I used a similar origin for my Aethyrians. I'll post them later.

Bel

Last edited:

Klaus said:

I'll vote for this.

hamishspence

Adventurer
Celestial

I saw it referred to once in One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing, for the warlord boss of the spies, who sends them to retrieve has stolen secret, who never appears on screen
"Great Celestial leader not like having his military secrets stolen. He not got very many. It make him...peevish" Peter Ustinov.

In an earlier day and age, celestial is associated with the heavens, and was probably more an astronomical term than anything else "Celestial Spheres"

so, its a term that can be astronomy or religion based, rather than racial.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads