D&D 5E Will my Beast Barbarian/Soulknife Rogue be viable in a 1-20 campaign?

WASDHammer

Explorer
I am starting a level 1-20 campaign and am very interested in this build, for its flexibility and flavor. I view it a bit like a Black Panther sort of build, combining stealth, strength, natural weapons, and reactive resistance. We are all starting with a feat.

The idea is a Beast Barbarian (6)/Soulknife Rogue (14) with the following build:

Race: Shadar-Kai Elf (for Blessing of the Raven Queen teleport abilities)

Starting Feat: Gift of the Chromatic Dragon, reflavored as a Gift of the Raven Queen.

Starting Attributes (Point Buy):
  • STR: 17
  • DEX: 14
  • CON: 16
  • INT: 8
  • WIS: 10
  • CHA: 8

I am excited for this build due the sheer number of at will weapon attacks he can make. Between Beast weapon Claws and Psychic Blades, he can make up to FOUR attacks per round. At level 9, each round could look like:
  • Attack 1: Beast Claw (+ STR Mod + Rage)
  • Free Attack: Beast Claw (+ STR Mod + Rage)
  • Attack 2: Psy Blade (+ Sneak Attack + Rage)
  • BA Attack: Psy Blade (+ STR Mod + Rage)

On top of this, I can use my Psy Blades to solve the Barbarian's ranged attack issue (also enabling Sneak Attack), plus the Chromatic Dragon 1d4 per LR. That feels like a high degree of sustained/low resource damage.

From a durability standpoint, the whole build revolves around on-demand resistance. Aside from the obvious Rage resistance, the Chromatic Dragon feat offers reaction elemental damage resistance on a hit and reaction uncanny dodge for attack damage resistance. In addition the Shadar Kai teleport offers resistance on ALL damage types until next turn, allowing me to dive into/around battle with added protection.

Lastly, from a utility standpoint, the climb speed, Psy Blade teleport, grappling god (with Athletics expertise), and a attack roll buff with Soul Blades: Homing Strike.

I know that this build has issues with Reaction AoO Sneak Attack, but something I think is easily solved for. Otherwise, this build looks really strong and fun to play. If anyone has experience with this build, would love to know if it panned out. But would also love anyone more experienced in D&D than I am whether this build would work across all tiers of gameplay or if I'm leaving myself exposed (especially in late game when magic weapons become more prominent).

Thanks for the feedback!

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I am starting a level 1-20 campaign and am very interested in this build, for its flexibility and flavor. I view it a bit like a Black Panther sort of build, combining stealth, strength, natural weapons, and reactive resistance. We are all starting with a feat.

The idea is a Beast Barbarian (6)/Soulknife Rogue (14) with the following build:

Race: Shadar-Kai Elf (for Blessing of the Raven Queen teleport abilities)

Starting Feat: Gift of the Chromatic Dragon, reflavored as a Gift of the Raven Queen.

Starting Attributes (Point Buy):
  • STR: 17
  • DEX: 14
  • CON: 16
  • INT: 8
  • WIS: 10
  • CHA: 8

I am excited for this build due the sheer number of at will weapon attacks he can make. Between Beast weapon Claws and Psychic Blades, he can make up to FOUR attacks per round. At level 9, each round could look like:
  • Attack 1: Beast Claw (+ STR Mod + Rage)
  • Free Attack: Beast Claw (+ STR Mod + Rage)
  • Attack 2: Psy Blade (+ Sneak Attack + Rage)
  • BA Attack: Psy Blade (+ STR Mod + Rage)

On top of this, I can use my Psy Blades to solve the Barbarian's ranged attack issue (also enabling Sneak Attack), plus the Chromatic Dragon 1d4 per LR. That feels like a high degree of sustained/low resource damage.

From a durability standpoint, the whole build revolves around on-demand resistance. Aside from the obvious Rage resistance, the Chromatic Dragon feat offers reaction elemental damage resistance on a hit and reaction uncanny dodge for attack damage resistance. In addition the Shadar Kai teleport offers resistance on ALL damage types until next turn, allowing me to dive into/around battle with added protection.

Lastly, from a utility standpoint, the climb speed, Psy Blade teleport, grappling god (with Athletics expertise), and a attack roll buff with Soul Blades: Homing Strike.

I know that this build has issues with Reaction AoO Sneak Attack, but something I think is easily solved for. Otherwise, this build looks really strong and fun to play. If anyone has experience with this build, would love to know if it panned out. But would also love anyone more experienced in D&D than I am whether this build would work across all tiers of gameplay or if I'm leaving myself exposed (especially in late game when magic weapons become more prominent).

Thanks for the feedback!

Looks fun in combat!

How much will the exploration and social pillars factor into the game? If a lot, how do you picture your character in those parts?

Tough to answer this in a vacuum, "A" D&D 5e campaign doesn't give too much to go off on. Do you know what other characters are being brought to bear? Have you given any thought to what levels you would take at what time, and what your progression from 1-20 would look like? It's easy to envision a level 20 character and then end up at level 11 with a character that feels just aweful, if you haven't planned ahead.

If you provide your expected progression (what levels and what feats are you taking when) and a bit more info on the expected nature of the campaign, as well as any info you have on the expected party, it'd be easier to provide a meaningful answer. As is, at a glance it looks fun, and could potentially be quite good. It's melee focused and at high levels that can always be a significant weakness, but seems like the damage output would be high enough to still absolutely have moments where the character shines and / or dominates.

Remove ads