• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will the real martial artist please stand up...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Seems fine to me. It will be very nice in some situations, and worthless in many others. So in a sense maybe its NOT a great thing, but its no worse or better than a lot of other stuff!

I think the flavor is great and that patched it goes from being something you train out of at higher levels to something useful through all tiers.

Knock down assault also scales kind of crappy... I would think an at-will ought to scale some on its own.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
OK Brazen Assault... but now scaling.
attachment.php

OK so its a bit reflavored

Attachments

• GreaterQiChanneling.png
    GreaterQiChanneling.png
    79.6 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I am wondering if a lot of powers are designed not to scale...

It's on level competitors include Rain of Steel.

Which with the right [W] enhancers and triggering punishment i would say that scales and is a potent fighter choice...
ie... it has real competition

I am wondering if a lot of powers are designed not to scale...

It's on level competitors include Rain of Steel.

Which with the right [W] enhancers and triggering punishment i would say that scales and is a potent fighter choice...
ie... it has real competition

I think they didn't REALLY want most stuff to explicitly scale. They thought that everyone would trade up all their powers to the best they could and the only real low-level ones you'd still use would be at-wills (hence the scaling). As it turned out multi-attacks of any ilk whatsoever, which RoS pretty much is in most senses, just far outstripped any level scaling or even increased potency of higher level powers.

I will note that RoS itself is an oddity though, as technically what it does is NOT AN ATTACK, and thus there are a LOT of bonuses that simply don't apply to it, or for which the RAW is somewhat ambivalent. That power prompted some HUGE debates in the old Q&A forums, let me tell you! lol.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I will note that RoS itself is an oddity though, as technically what it does is NOT AN ATTACK, and thus there are a LOT of bonuses that simply don't apply to it, or for which the RAW is somewhat ambivalent. That power prompted some HUGE debates in the old Q&A forums, let me tell you! lol.

That is an unfortunate mechanical ambiguity ... indeed conceptually its a uber belligerent stance taking any and every meager opportunity to attack.

It's even decent flavor connect to me...

That is an unfortunate mechanical ambiguity ... indeed conceptually its a uber belligerent stance taking any and every meager opportunity to attack.

It's even decent flavor connect to me...

Right, I think its easy enough to call it "offensive" in terms of things like being invisible or whatnot, but all sorts of questions arise, like does it work if your OPPONENT is invisible? It says, IIRC, that you have to be able to make OAs for it to be effective, but do you have to be able to potentially OA each specific 'target'? And given that the OA rules don't actually work well to specify 'potentially OA' it gets quite messy quite fast. A lot of it isn't TOO unclear by RIA, but even if you try to apply common sense there are at least a couple corner cases. It may well be the most thorny power in all of PHB1.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Right, I think its easy enough to call it "offensive" in terms of things like being invisible or whatnot, but all sorts of questions arise, like does it work if your OPPONENT is invisible?
Does there seem to be a character choice involved... if it affects only enemies then I would say no to the unseen ones.... if it targeted any creature (that would make a good Battlerager/ Berzerker effect - I think that would be a nice option -The power came out before those were on the table though) that is how I would decide.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Does there seem to be a character choice involved... if it affects only enemies then I would say no to the unseen ones.... if it targeted any creature (that would make a good Battlerager/ Berzerker effect - I think that would be a nice option -The power came out before those were on the table though) that is how I would decide.
On second thought invisibility is so not absolute any flicker and bam

Sent from my XT1585 using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think they didn't REALLY want most stuff to explicitly scale. They thought that everyone would trade up all their powers to the best they could and the only real low-level ones you'd still use would be at-wills (hence the scaling). As it turned out multi-attacks of any ilk whatsoever, which RoS pretty much is in most senses, just far outstripped any level scaling or even increased potency of higher level powers.

I consider this an important design distinction I find many powers to be somewhat character defining there often isnt a replacement... I suppose having powers which lose there viability against big bads of later levels makes some sense but not really buying into that nearly as much.

Making that power scale doesnt even really beat RoS presumably we could make every 'black rated' level 5 power scale without any significant failure of the system except marginally narrowing the gap between someone making a strong optimizing choice like RoS and those not doing so. Unexpected boom boom of the hidden scaling though is that responsible for some reporting epic being too easy?

Remove ads