D&D 5E Will you continue to give WotC D&D your $$$

Have the microsoft suits at WotC otherwise gone too far?

My understanding is OGL 2 is only for OneD&D SRD, so canceling OGL 1.0a means no more:
That is a slightly incorrect understanding.

It's actually only for the 5E SRD.

One would just have to hope WotC "updated" it to including the 1D&D SRD when that's available.

However, yes, it would cause a huge problem for all the rest. ORC can help with some of that, but it's likely that people are going to have to risk legal action unless WotC are willing to hand over the other SRDs.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I don't really draw much distinction between any of these companies - they are all trying to turn a profit and be competitive. I'm not interested in turning this into a pro wrestling situation of heels and babyfaces. If someone makes something I want at a reasonable price, I will buy it unless it was derived from criminal or otherwise unconscionable behaviour. The OGL situation doesn't come remotely close, in my books.

This is it.

I try not to buy clothing made by people being overly exploited and designed to fall apart within a year.

But this? This is fine.

If the WotC employees came out and said they are being mistreated then I may change my take. Otherwise I am going to continue enjoying the hobby the way I have been.

Oofta

Legend
So, the other gaming companies can’t release anything new, but that’s not trying to shut down the competition?

Please point out where WOTC has stated that other gaming companies can't release anything new. If that's what they wanted, they would have just revoked OGL 1.0a.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Please point out where WOTC has stated that other gaming companies can't release anything new. If that's what they wanted, they would have just revoked OGL 1.0a.
And even then, rules can't be copyrighted.

That is why there are clones of popular boardgames out there with different names.

I'm waiting to see what actual action WotC will take with it, if any.

Oofta

Legend
And even then, rules can't be copyrighted.

That is why there are clones of popular boardgames out there with different names.

I'm waiting to see what actual action WotC will take with it, if any.

I think revoking the OGL 1.0a was a mistake, particularly from a PR perspective. With the new revisions I see little change in substance but we'll know more in a couple of days.

This whole thing is an avoidable mess, most of what the OGL 1.0a is just a "hey everybody, let's not sue each other". This whole thing is a vast gray area, legally. I just get tired of everybody saying that revoking and replacing 1.0a with something instantly stops every 3PP. Neither 1.1 nor, from what we know of it, 2.0 does that. If any company chooses not to publish anything else in support of D&D that's up to them.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I just got my preorder for the Mage of the Mirror quest pack for Heroquest in the mail.

It's a beautiful looking supplement, quality work from Avalon Hill.

It's very likely the last thing I'll be buying from Hasbro unless and until they figure out how to undrop the tack nuke they dropped by claiming that the OGL, which has always been positioned as "forever", is actually revocable.

That's my line. The suits can stay or go, I don't care. But you can't go back on a promise like that and expect me to continue to support you. Especially when it comes to toys and games. Hasbro dollars are pure entertainment dollars - I can spend that money with some other company and be just as entertained by their games instead.

Remove ads