D&D 5E Will you enter the Dungeon Master Challenge?

Will you enter the Dungeon Master Challenge?

• Yes

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • No

Votes: 55 76.4%
  • I don't know

Votes: 7 9.7%

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
For people who didn't make the top 10, which statistically is almost everyone, including me:

I've won a lot of (non-gaming) awards. I've lost a lot of (non-gaming) awards. I've judged a lot of (non-gaming) awards.

Keep the following in mind before you kill all your players in a death trap this weekend out of anger:

1) We have no idea at this moment how many people entered. If there were only 400 people, which seems low to me, that's still only a 1:40 shot at getting in. You will roll a natural 20 twice as often as you would place in the top 10 in this contest.
2) We don't really know the criteria the judges were using in the evaluation. There was some quirky stuff in their requests -- why did they want lore for a trap? -- and it may be that what they were looking for wasn't well-articulated in the guidelines, which definitely happens.
3) We don't know how the judging went, but they likely had to look at a lot of entries relatively fast, especially since they've got multiple other products in the pipeline needing their attention. So judgements likely happened quickly. The difference between winning entries and non-winning entries in writing contests I've judged can come down to a single clunky phrase early on, because I've been sitting there looking at these damned things for six hours now, and I can't take any more badness, even if the rest of it might turn out to be amazing.
4) We also don't know what didn't win. Maybe you had the best pendulum-based trap in the slush pile, but hundreds of other people submitted pendulum traps, too, and those ended up seeming boring and rote, just because there were so damned many of them, even if you had the best pendulum trap since Edgar Allen Poe.
5) We also don't know the names of entrants 11-20. When in doubt, assume you were in there.

I hope everyone who had their creative juices pumping because of this and were ready to crank out more stuff as finalists channels that energy into a productive end. Make this the best damned autumn of D&D ever with crazy new stuff. Publish something on DMs Guild for the first time ever. Post a bunch of great homebrew stuff on ENWorld.

And win this whole damned thing next year.

Last edited:

While you're obviously right, I can't help but feel a little cheesed that some of the winners write stuff for Adventurers League. On one hand, I'm sure they write much better than I do, but on the other I would have thought regular contributors to D&D wouldn't have been eligible.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
While you're obviously right, I can't help but feel a little cheesed that some of the winners write stuff for Adventurers League. On one hand, I'm sure they write much better than I do, but on the other I would have thought regular contributors to D&D wouldn't have been eligible.
I hear you. I've lost awards to folks with way more of a support system than I have and when you've got dozens of people making you look good, you can look really good.

I suspect next year's rules will be clearer and more refined in multiple ways and maybe they'll clarify whether or not semi-pro folks like that can compete.

On the other hand, this is also a good incentive for me, at least, to get off my ass and start putting stuff on DMs Guild so I can level up, partly for next year, and partly just to check it off my personal to-do list.

Someone familiar with how to publish DMsGuild material should do an open call to put out a nice big fat book of traps!
I'm personally trying to write an adventure around mine, but someone really ought to do this. While I may not have been selected to be a finalist, I have to admit this contest made me come down with a bit of the writing bug.

Not saying any of it is good, mind you.

Remove ads