D&D General Win The Title of D&D's Best DM

WotC is running a competition called the Dungeon Master Challenge. Similar to Paizo's old RPG Superstar contest, it features various design rounds which whittle down the contenders until only one remains.

Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 8.00.52 PM.png

The winner gets a trophy and some D&D products worth just over $2K.

Note: your entry becomes the property of WotC, which can use it in any way it wishes, even if you don't win. They don't even have to credit you for it. Be sure to consider this when deciding whether to enter.
  • The first design challenge for a 1,000-word entry is Thursday June 17th, and contestants have three days to submit their entries. This round is open to everybody who qualifies (18+, in one of a list of countries).
  • 10 contestants will then proceed to the next round in July, which is an elimination stage with various weekly 1,000-word design challenges.
  • Three of those will go on to the final challenge in September, which involved being a DM on a livestream, judged by a panel.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Hrm. I got pretty specific with mine - I wrote a trap set by Kazerabet from the 2e 'Complete Book of Necromancers' and tied her to Valindra Shadowmantle from 'Tomb of Annihilation'. I have no idea if I've helped or hurt myself by being so specific, but I had more fun thinking of the who and the why of the trap than the trap mechanics themselves.
I really like that. It didn't occur to me that the Island of the Necromancers (that was its name, right?) would be relatively close to Chult, but it obviously is.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
The 3-day limit, as opposed to giving a week or more, was no doubt a deliberate attempt to limit the sheer number of entries. Having the entries due on Father's Day may have been deliberate for that reason as well.

The obligation to follow the Xanathar's format for me made it more challenging to stay under the word count - because that format requires some redundant copy.

But the time limit, the word count, the lore thing, and the Xanathar's format (which is not one I've ever seen use in any WotC adventure - or indeed any adventure, ever) all form a "can you follow the directions" element of the test. Given the number of entries they'll get, it's necessary to blanket disqualify entries for not adhering to that stuff.

I submitted mine on Friday because I was leery of the implied "if we get too many entries we'll stop reading them" bit in the rules.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
But the time limit, the word count, the lore thing, and the Xanathar's format (which is not one I've ever seen use in any WotC adventure - or indeed any adventure, ever) all form a "can you follow the directions" element of the test. Given the number of entries they'll get, it's necessary to blanket disqualify entries for not adhering to that stuff.
A lot of that can also be automated. Anything with more than 1,000 words goes into the disqualification pile. (Probably 1,050 or so, to allow for people's names and contact information.) Not using the key words for the Xanathar's structure, disqualification pile.

The lore thing can't be automated, but yeah, I'm guessing this is both a directions following test and also a way to make these a tiny bit more publishable, should they choose to do so. (I'm guessing they might stick the winners into an Extra Life PDF or something.) Forcing the writers to at least think about it likely added some extra polish to the entries. Once I knew where my trap was located and who built it, that ended up influencing both a mechanical element of the trap and several descriptive elements.

Last edited:

I really like that. It didn't occur to me that the Island of the Necromancers (that was its name, right?) would be relatively close to Chult, but it obviously is.
I think 'The Complete Book of Necromancers' very technically had it as part of Al-Qadim? I could easily be wrong. However, I do think the best bet for bringing it into 5e was Chult, regardless of the 'actual' geography of the Realms.

I have to admit, trying to follow the Xanathar format was kind of eye-opening to me. I had never noticed, as example, that abilities like Strength and Intelligence are always capitalized in 5e books. It'd be really interesting to get ahold of their style guide.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases