Wing and Sword: a d20 Modern military campaign [METAGAME]

Bobitron

Explorer
Barak said:
Edit2: Err.. I feel kinda sorry for asking this. The SRD looks pretty complete, and serves well to remind me of some stuff I forgot from the last time I made a D20 modern character.. But for one exception: Do we get the bonus feat and skill points for being human?

Hi Barak!

In D20 Modern, humans are considered the standard. Therefore, all the skills/feats given are for a human character. Playing an elf/moreau/whatever gives a penalty.

Barak

First Post
Hehe thanks. Found the answer myself while building the character, came here to edit my questions out so I wouldn't look like an idiot, only to find out I was too late.. That's ok, it gives a good fore-shadowing of what my character will be like. :) He -is- relatively smart, but kinda slow.

Barak

First Post
Alright!

Well, I'm apparently way too excited about this game. :) ... Please let me know if there's any mistakes/problems.

Name: Normand Joseph Mador
Birthplace: Marseilles, France
Born: Nov. 12, 1931, age 25
Class: Strong Hero 2, Athlete occupation

History:
Normand was born in a relative low-class family. With a fisherman father, a stay-at-home mother (obviously), and 3 older siblings (2 sisters and a brother), the Madors were not really well-to-do. With a childhood spent mostly swimming, running around and going to school, things were going alright for young Normand. Obviously, the war that started when he was 8 changed things a bit.

As was relatively common, while his father wasn't overly pleased with having the germans in power, he didn't really fel strongly enough about it to join any resistance movement. At the same time, should he learn anything about the resistance, he wouldn't run to the authorities to reveal what he knew. Such an attitude made quite a bit of sense to young Normand. Once the war was finally over, things slowly came back to normal. Never having been overly studious, or good at school, Normand flirted with a few different professions. He apprenticed for a year with a furniture-maker, and later with an auto-mechanic, but wasn't overly happy with either. Finally, his athletic prowesses, which weren't slim, led him to consider a "career" as a boxer.

While he definitively had aptitudes, his easy-going, easily-coned nature led him to make some bad choices as to his associations. Quickly, he became an "enforcer" of sort for one of the local criminal ring. Normand found himself surprised at having such a role, not quite sure as to how that came to pass. He was, however, smart enough to realize that quitting such a career would be more hazardous to his own health then quitting the furniture-making business. Finally, he decided that a stint in the legion might be a good idea...

Personality: Normand prefers to be effacing, not overly enjoying being noticed. He tends to attach himself to a stronger personality, and then follow that person's lead. However, he does have morals of his own, and his recent choices having led him down a path he didn't like, tends to be a bit more choosy. He is very slow to anger, much prefering to be insulted than getting dragged into a fight.

Appearance: Normand is pretty darn big. 6'2", 230 pounds, with light blond hair and brown eyes. His slightly stooped posture does tend to make him appear a bit smaller. He also has two tattoos, a rose over his heart and an anchor on his left bicep.

Goals: Normand pretty much would like to find out what his goals are. :)

Character Sheet:
Strength: 16 (+3, costs 10)
Dexterity 10 (+0, costs 2)
Constitution 14 (+2, costs 6)
Intelligence 14 (+2, costs 6)
Wisdom 10 (+0, costs 2)
Charisma 10 (+0, costs 2)

Speed: 30ft
Initiative: +0
Base Attack: +2 (+2 Strong)
Melee Attack: +5 (+2 Base, +3 Str)
Ranged Attack: +2 (+2 Base, +0 Dex)
Defense: +2 (+2 Strong, +0 Dex)
Hit Points: 16 (10 1st level, 6 2nd)

Fortitude: +4 (+2 Strong, +2 Con)
Reflex: +0 (+0 Strong, +0 Dex)
Will: +0 (+0 Strong, +0 Wis)

Action Points: 7 (1 + 5 + 1 (1/2 Character level))
Wealth: +6 (+5 roll, +1 Occupation)

Skill points: 25 (20 Strong 1, 5 Strong 2)
Skills (*class skill)

Appraise
Balance +0
Bluff +0
Climb* +5 (+3 Str, +2 Athletic)
Concentration +0
Craft (Structural)* +4 (2 ranks, +2 Int)
Diplomacy +0
Disguise +0
Drive* +4 (4 ranks)
Escape Artist +0
Forgery +2 (+2 Int)
Gamble +0
Gather Information +0
Handle Animal* +0
Hide +0
Intimidate +2 (2 ranks)
Investigate untrained
Jump* +6 (2 Ranks, +3 Str, +1 Occupation)
Knowledge (Military Science)* 3 (1 rank, +2 Int)
Knowledge (current events)* +4 (2 ranks, +2 Int)
Knowledge (Popular Culture)* +4 (2 ranks, +2 Int)
Knowledge (Street Wise)* +4 (2 rank, +2 Int)
Listen +0
Move Silently +0
Navigate +2 (+2 Int)
Profession* untrained
Read/Write Language* (French, free)
Repair* +4 (2 ranks, +2 Int)
Research +2 (+2 Int)
Ride +0
Search +2 (+2 Int)
Sense Motive +0
Speak Language* (French, free)
Spot +0
Survival +0
Swim* +10 (4 ranks, +3 Str, +1 Occupation, +2 Athletic)
Use Rope +0

Feats and Talents
Melee Smash (Strong, add +1 to melee damage)
Brawl (Occupation, +1 unarmed attack rolls, d6+4 non-lethal damage)
Simple Weapons Proficiency (Standard)
Athletic (Strong 2nd level)
Personal Firearms (Starting Feat)
Endurance (starting Feat)

Attacks:
Melee: Unarmed: +6 to-hit, d6+4 non-lethal damage), Brass Knuckles: +6 to-hit, d6+5 damage, Combat knife: +5 to-hit, d4+4 damage.
Ranged: MAS-49 Rifle: +2 to-hit, 2d8 damage (range inc: 80').

Equipment
Passport
French driving license
Brass Knuckles
steel helmet with net cover for camouflage
leopard-pattern camouflage smock and trousers
underwear and two pairs of socks
web belt and suspenders carrying -
two double-magazine pouches (four box magazines total, 10 rounds per box magazine)
grenade pouch with two anti-personnel grenades
full canteen in holster
brown jump boots
combat knife in sheath
MAS-49/56 rifle with one box magazine, 10 rounds

Last edited:

Barak

First Post
Well.. I -expected- it to take me a couple days.. :)

One thing I have doubts about. Can't remember or find if characters get free languages for intelligence or not. Character is written up as if they do, but if they don't I'd just remove the german and spanish.

Bobitron

Explorer
Barak said:
Well.. I -expected- it to take me a couple days.. :)

One thing I have doubts about. Can't remember or find if characters get free languages for intelligence or not. Character is written up as if they do, but if they don't I'd just remove the german and spanish.

I wasn't able to find anything about that either, so I assume you have to buy it as a normal skill. I guess the logic is that you gain extra skill points for intelligence, so you could spend those on languages if you so desire. Remember that Speak and Read/Write are seperate skills, BTW.

The Shaman

First Post
Bobitron said:
I wasn't able to find anything about that either, so I assume you have to buy it as a normal skill. I guess the logic is that you gain extra skill points for intelligence, so you could spend those on languages if you so desire. Remember that Speak and Read/Write are seperate skills, BTW.
Yes, languages are purchased using skill points. There are no ranks for language skills, so Read/Write Language (name) and Speak Language (name) each require just one skill point - for example, Speak (Arabic), Read/Write (Arabic), and Speak (Spanish) would require a total of three skill points.

Your character sheet looks good so far, Barak - looking forward to seeing a background when you get a chance.

I fixed the link to "Le Boudin" in the Foreign Legion basic training post, above - you should be able to hear the song now.

Looks like we might get four players this week! Woo-hoo!

:)

Barak

First Post
Heh. The background was added before your post was posted. :)

I'll remove the extra languages. In a way, I'm happy, since it was hard fore me to justify Normand knowing those languages anyway. Well, german wasn't -so- bad, but still a stretch.

As a fun aside, Normand's name and birthdate are.. My dad's. Virtually everything else about him is made up, though.

Bobitron

Explorer
Barak said:
As a fun aside, Normand's name and birthdate are.. My dad's. Virtually everything else about him is made up, though.

Whoa! That's pretty cool. I have been looking for more information about how the French and other Europeans felt about the war. My local library had very little on French history, forget a war that the majority of Americans have never even heard of.

I did find a collection of letters written by an woman in Paris to a US newspaper. They seemed pretty neutral on the subject, but it did come up often. Was your father in France at the time of the war?

Remove ads