Wing and Sword: a d20 Modern military campaign [METAGAME]

Barak

First Post
Oh no, not at all. I'm from Montreal (Canada) and so was my dad. Some of his brothers (my uncles) were in WWII, but he was too young (obviously). As I said, most of the rest is made up. Well, my dad -was- pretty strong, and he did have the rose tattoo, but that's it.

As for the sentiment about the war for "common" french people.. It's purely extrapolation on my part. With the extreme of the resistance and the collaborators, it stands to reason that the majority, as usual, would be in the middle. I don't really know enough about WWII to be sure of that.

Oh, and as for "Le Boudin", be aware that lyrics are slightly risque if you have kids around who speak french. :) Nothing -really- bad (just the frequent equivalent of @$$), but still. I'm the only one in my household who speak french. so that was fine. :)

The Shaman

First Post
Barak said:
As for the sentiment about the war for "common" french people.. It's purely extrapolation on my part. With the extreme of the resistance and the collaborators, it stands to reason that the majority, as usual, would be in the middle. I don't really know enough about WWII to be sure of that.
Seems reasonable to me - there are folks that get-along-go-along in any circumstance. Occupation wasn't pleasant, but it was survivable.
Barak said:
Oh, and as for "Le Boudin", be aware that lyrics are slightly risque if you have kids around who speak french. :) Nothing -really- bad (just the frequent equivalent of @$$), but still. I'm the only one in my household who speak french. so that was fine. :)
I didn't think about that...ooops...sorry...

:\

Barak

First Post
Heh I didn't care a bit. As I said, I'm the only one who speaks french in my house, and, anyway, I wouldn't really care if my kids heard a song with such a word.

It does go to show the legion's mentality pretty well. :)

BTW, here's the lyrics, with my translation
Chorus:
Tiens, voila du boudin, voila du boudin,
Voila du boudin
Pour les Alsaciens, les Suisses et les Lorrains
Pour les Belges, il n'y en a plus,
Ce sont des tireurs au Cul;
Pour les Belges, il n'y en a plus,
Ce sont des tireurs au cul.
Nous sommes des degourdis, nous sommes
Des lascars
Des types pas ordinaires,
Nous avons souvent notre cafard,
Nous sommes des Legionnaires.

Chorus:
Hey, here is some (blood sausage), here is some (blood sausage)
here is some (blood sausage)
For the Alsatians, the swiss and the Lorrainers
For the belgians there is no more
It is the shooters out of their @$$.
We are slackers, we are misfits
People out of the ordinary,
We often miss our home,
We are the Legionnaires.

Au Tonkin, la Legion immortelle
Tuyen Quang illustra notra Drapeau.
Heros de Camerone et freres modeles
Dormez en paix dans vos tombeaux.
Chorus:

At the Tonkin, the immortal Legion
Tuyen Quang showed our flag
Heroes of Camerone and model brothers
Sleep in peace in your tombs.
Chorus:

Nos anciens ont su mourir,
Pour la Gloire de la Legion,
Nous saurons bien tout perir
Suivant la tradition.
Chorus:

Our elders knew how to die,
For the glory of the legion,
We will all know how to perish
following the tradition.
Chorus:

Au Cour de nos campagnes lointaines,
Affrontant la fievre et le feu
Nous oublions avec nos peines
La mort qui nous oublie si peu
Nous, la Legion.
Chorus:

During our faraway campaigns,
under the fever and enemy fire
We forget with our pains
The death that forgets us so little
Us, the Legion.
Chorus:

(Note: "Boudin" is a kind of sausage made pretty much completely out of blood. Pretty darn tasty, actually.)

Last edited:

Bobitron

Explorer
Barak said:
Heh I didn't care a bit. As I said, I'm the only one who speaks french in my house, and, anyway, I wouldn't really care if my kids heard a song with such a word.

It does go to show the legion's mentality pretty well. :)

Dang it, now I feel like I need a translation. Can you link me to one?

Barak

First Post
*grin*

Well since I speak french, I didn't even look for one, but while you were asking, I was busy making my own. There ya go. :)

The Shaman

First Post
Barak said:
Well since I speak french, I didn't even look for one, but while you were asking, I was busy making my own. There ya go. :)
Ya beat me to it! Thanks!

I'm going to post a standard equipment list for you all today or tomorrow.

:cool:

The Shaman

First Post
Barak said:
While we are on the subject of equipment.. I assumed my officers wouldn't have blinked at some brass knucks, right? :)
Not even in the bright sunlight of the Sahara.

I'm working on the equipment list and I came across a picture of the leopard camo pattern worn by les paras in Algeria - thought you might like to take a peak.

(And no profanity in any language this time, Barak, I promise... ;) )

As I was reading through my three books on period uniforms ( :confused: ), I decided to add a homebrewed item for your purchasing pleasure. There are numerous references to French parachutists purchasing U.S. Airborne jump boots due to the fact that the (1) U.S. boots were very comfortable and wore well and (2) the French boots were not and didn't. With that in mind...

Corcoran 10" paratrooper boots
Weight: 5 lbs. Purchase DC: 12
Corcoran paratrooper boots are widely regarded as the most comfortable, best-fitting military boots available. These boots are a mastercraft item and provide a +1 to resist fatigue during forced marches and a +1 on Jump checks while landing during a paradrop.

Before your characters invest in a pair of Cocorans, keep in mind that you don't know if your company commander or platoon or squad leaders will accept a non-regulation uniform item just yet. Buy them now and take your chances, or wait and see if your CO is flexible - the choice is yours.

I'll have a completed list for you shortly.

Barak

First Post
Well, at this point in time, Normand really wouldn't do anything "out-of-the-system", so the boots are out. I do figure that with the Endurance feat, and a decent jump skill, he should be ok anyway. And don't worry, I do plan on him developing a backbone eventually. It -is- why he joined the Legion, after all. :)

A fun little fact.. Once in a while, I'll tell my wife (a non-gamer) about my character/game. Usually, that result in a "oh, that's nice, honey". This time, I got a "ohhh, that sounds interesting!" Not that she'd wanna join or anything, but still. :) Oh, and I finally figured a good translation for "lascars". Misfits. Will edit it in.

Remove ads