Wing and Sword: a d20 Modern military campaign [METAGAME]

Bobitron

Explorer
The Shaman said:
Uh-oh, there are those high expectations again... :eek:

Hehe, don't sweat it. I'll try to be a bit more... low-key:)

Here's a quick background. Details to come this weekend.

Name: Marcel Benezet Fortier
Birthplace: Avignon, France
Born: Sept. 13, 1934, age 22
Class: Charismatic/Dedicated Hero 1/1, Military occupation

History: Born to a strict Catholic shop owner in the historic city of Avignon, Marcel was a bright student and outgoing youth. All his family's dreams were interrupted when Hitler's troops swept past the Maginot Line and thundered across France, taking Paris in June of 1940. His father, Philippe, was very active in the Resistance, helping to organize acts of defiance against the occupation. His family's home often served as a hiding place for Maquis and other Free French seeking refuge from the Vichy regime. He grew up hearing stories of the brave men defending France from the vile invaders, and wanted nothing more than to be a soldier in France's forces.

The war eventually drew to a close in late 1944. While Marcel was proud of the victory over the Germans, he felt let down that all the excitement had come to a close. At ten years old, his teachers noticed a strong talent with language and the sciences. He learned to speak English and Arabic by age 12, and his teachers were already grooming him to become a doctor by the time he was 16. Marcel enrolled in the prestigious Broussais-Hôtel-Dieu Medical School in Paris at age 18. He studied there for two years before growing weary of the banality of a normal life. Without so much as a good-bye to his family, he enlisted in the French Foreign Legion in search of adventure. Marcel hoped to travel the world and live up to the dreams of his childhood. He saw little reward in dealing with elderly patients complaining of colds in Paris.

Once he joined, Marcel was sent to replace recently deceased medic in a squad of Paras of the 1st Regiment Etranger de Parachutistes, serving in Algeria.

Personality: Marcel is a friendly young man, lacking the dark past that many of his fellow legionnaires have. He sees the mission in Algeria as an opportunity for adventure, rather than a duty. He left home to escape boredom, and tends to seek out excitement and danger, even when he probably should not. He has a reputation as being a romantic, and 'falls in love' with a new girl seemingly every month. Marcel recently picked up the penny whistle as a hobby, and can often be found playing it on his off-times around bivouac.

Goals: Marcel tends to live for the moment, and has difficulty planning for the long term. He feels guilty for leaving his family behind, but thinks his father might like to operate a shop in this warm climate (once these troubles are finished, of course). In general, though, he focuses on having a good time, getting his adrenaline pumping, and enjoying the camaraderie of the Legion.

Appearance: Marcel is a good looking young man of average build with a rakish charm. He smokes Gauloises at an alarming rate. Quick to smile and laugh, he is a great booster of morale in dark times.

Strength: 10 (+0, costs 2)
Dexterity 10 (+0, costs 2)
Constitution 10 (+0, costs 2)
Intelligence 14 (+2, costs 6)
Wisdom 16 (+3, costs 10)
Charisma 14 (+2, costs 6)

Speed: 30ft
Initiative: +0
Base Attack: +0 (+0 Charismatic, +0 Dedicated)
Melee Attack: +0 (+0 Base, +0 Str)
Ranged Attack: +0 (+0 Base, +0 Dex)
Defense: +1 (+0 Charismatic, +1 Dedicated, +0 Dex)
Hit Points: 9 (6 1st level, 3 2nd)

Fortitude: +2 (+1 Charismatic, +1 Dedicated, +0 Con)
Reflex: +1 (+1 Charismatic, +0 Dedicated, +0 Dex)
Will: +4 (+0 Charismatic, +1 Dedicated, +3 Wis)

Action Points: 7 (1 + 5 + 1 (1/2 Character level))
Wealth: +7 (+6 roll, +1 Occupation)

Skill points: 43 (36 Charismatic 1, 7 Dedicated 1)
Skills (*class skill)

Appraise
Balance +0
Bluff +5 (3 ranks, +2 Cha)
Climb +0
Concentration +0
Craft (Pharmaceuticals)* +4 (2 ranks, +2 Int)
Diplomacy +7 (3 ranks, +2 Trustworthy feat, +2 Cha)
Disguise +2 (+2 Cha)
Drive* +4 (4 ranks)
Escape Artist +0
Forgery +2 (+2 Int)
Gamble* +4 (1 rank, +3 Wis)
Gather Information +7 (3 ranks, +2 Trustworthy feat, +2 Cha)
Hide +0
Intimidate +2 (+2 Cha)
Investigate* untrained
Jump +1 (1 rank)
Knowledge (Military Science)* 3 (1 rank, +2 Int)
Knowledge (current events) +4 (2 ranks, +2 Int)
Knowledge (Local, Algiers) +4 (2 ranks, +2 Int)
Knowledge (Earth and Life sciences)* +3 (1 rank, +2 Int)
Listen* +3 (+3 Wis)
Move Silently +0
Navigate +2 (+2 Int)
Perform (penny whistle) +3 (1 rank, +2 Cha)
Profession* untrained
Read/Write Language (French, Arabic, English)* 2
Research +2 (+2 Int)
Ride +0
Search +2 (+2 Int)
Sense Motive* +5 (2 ranks, +3 Wis)
Speak Language (French, Arabic, English)* 2
Spot* +3 (+3 Wis)
Survival* +4 (1 rank, +3 Wis)
Swim +0
Treat Injury* +9 (5 ranks, +2 Healing Knack talent, +3 Wis)
Use Rope +0

Feats and Talents
Coordinate (Charismatic, add +1 to attack rolls and skill checks for 3 rounds if Marcel can make a Charisma check at DC10)
Healing Knack (Dedicated, +2 bonus to Treat Injury checks)
Simple Weapons Proficiency (Standard)
Personal Firearms Proficiency (Occupation)
Surgery (Beginning Feat, see Treat Injury rules on pg. 75)
Trustworthy (Beginning Feat, +2 bonus to Diplomacy and Gather Information checks)

Equipment
Passport
French driving license
Penny whistle

Edit: added stats

Last edited:

The Shaman

First Post
Looks great so far, Bobitron.

:)

The first campaign briefing is up - I hope to post the Foreign Legion OoB and briefing later today.

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
Interested

Hi Shaman,

I was reading this and have been for some wanting to finally try out a PbP since I never get a chance to play in real life. If you don't mind an experienced offline player and newbie PbP player, I would be interested in playing in this campaign. I was thinking something along the lines of a displaced Russian sniper. He was conscripted to fight off the Germans at age 14 and after the war, without much of a home to return to, the call of battle and the fact that his commanding officer went first, he went to the Legion, hoping to put his skills to use there.

If you like this idea, I will make a character later this evening and post it. Thanks for listening.

Bobitron

Explorer
The Shaman said:
Looks great so far, Bobitron.

Thanks! Did I screw anything up in the history?

The other idea I was tossing around was an Italian counterfeiter, a fast hero, got in trouble with the law, blah blah blah.

The Shaman

First Post
shadowbloodmoon said:
I was reading this and have been for some wanting to finally try out a PbP since I never get a chance to play in real life. If you don't mind an experienced offline player and newbie PbP player, I would be interested in playing in this campaign. I was thinking something along the lines of a displaced Russian sniper. He was conscripted to fight off the Germans at age 14 and after the war, without much of a home to return to, the call of battle and the fact that his commanding officer went first, he went to the Legion, hoping to put his skills to use there.

If you like this idea, I will make a character later this evening and post it. Thanks for listening.
Sounds great - I look forward to seeing your character.

This is my second play-by-post game, so I wouldn't exactly call myself a veteran, either. We'll be learning together.
Bobitron said:
Thanks! Did I screw anything up in the history?
Not that I can see - in fact, one thing jumped out at me:
Bobitron said:
His family's home often served as a hiding place for Maquis and other Free French seeking refuge from the Vichy regime.
Marcel may end up having an interesting relationship with one of the NPCs in his company...

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
Character- Pyotr Kerenin

Thanks for the thumbs up, Shaman. Here is the first draft of my character, if I need to change anything, let me know.

Name: Pyotr (Peter) Andreievich Kerenin
DOB: January 3, 1929
Class: Fast/ Dedicated Hero 1/1
Occupation: Military(Hide, Move Silently and Personal Firearms taken)
Current XP: 1000

Str 10 (2pts)
Dex 15 (8pts)
Con 12 (4pts)
Int 10 (2pts)
Wis 15 (8pts)
Cha 12 (4pts)

Speed: 30ft
Initiative: +2 (+2 Dex bonus)
Base Attack: +0 (+0 Fast, +0 Dedicated)
Melee Attack: +0 (+0 Base, +0 Str)
Ranged Attack: +2 (+0 Base, +2 Dex)
Defense: +6 (+3 Fast, +1 Dedicated, +2 Dex)

Fortitude: +2 (+0 Fast, +1 Dedicated, +1 Con)
Reflex: +3 (+1 Fast, +0 Dedicated, +2 Dex)
Will: +3 (+0 Fast, +1 Dedicated, +2 Wis)

Action Points: 7 (1 + 5 + 1 (1/2 Character level))
Wealth: +5 or +0 (This depends on if you allow the purchase below)
--------( +4 roll, +1 Occupation)

Skills
Hide +7 (2pts, +2 Dex, +3 Skill Emphasis)
Jump +1 (2pts cross-class)
Knowledge (military science) +1 (2pts cross-class)
Knowledge (current events) +4 (4pts)
Listen +4 (2pts, +2 Wis)
Move Silently +7 (4pts, +2 Dex, +1 Occupation)
Read/Write Language (2pts, Native Russian, German and French)
Speak Language (2pts, Native Russian, German and French)
Sense Motive +3 (1pt, +2 Wis)
Spot +4 (2pts, +2 Wis)

Feats and Talents
Evasion (Fast)
Skill Emphasis: Hide (Dedicated)
Simple Weapons Proficiency (Standard)
Personal Firearms Proficiency (Occupation)
Far Shot (Beginning Feat)
Dead Aim (Beginning Feat)

Equipment
Passport
Identification (doesn't drive)

Pending GM Approval:
Restricted License for Sniper Rifle DC15 (Took 10, Reduced Wealth by 2 to +3)
Mosin-Nagant Sniper Rifle w/ Telescopic Sight ( I based the purchase DC from an SKS in Weapons Locker) DC 17 (Took 20, Reduced Wealth to +0)

And of course whatever the Legion decides to give us...

Background:
Pyotr was born in Minsk on a particularly cold day in January. His father, Andrei Kerenin, worked in a steel mill for the duration of his life, providing for his wife Anna, and their only son, Pyotr. Growing up was hard for Pyotr, the state told him that he was to follow in his father's footsteps and work in the steel mill too. Being a young boy, this was furthest from his mind. He wanted to do something more. He wanted to do something for his country that everyone was proud of.

Pyotr got his chance in the winter of 1942. As the Germans crossed into Russian territory, the state had been conscripting able boys of all ages to fight off the Nazi advance. It was determined that Pyotr had a naturally developed ability to shoot straight and it was this talent that got him into a sniper position outside of Kaliningrad. His tour took him all over the Russian front and he savored every moment, doing what he could to protect his country from invasion. It wasn't until he returned home that the reality of the war hit him.

As Pyotr returned to Minsk, he was told that both his mother and father had been killed in bombing raids just after he left for service. When the war ended, Pyotr decided that if he couldn't protect what he loved most, he didn't deserve to be there. It so happened that his commanding officer, one Captain Rega Morin, had some contacts outside of Russia that could put to use both his and Pyotr's military skills. After a short goodbye to his beloved Minsk, Pyotr left for the French Foriegn Legion Training Facility. He hasn't looked back since.

Tell me what you think. I hope it suits what you are looking for.

The Shaman

First Post
shadowbloodmoon said:
Tell me what you think. I hope it suits what you are looking for.
I like your character concept very much - do I detect a touch of Vassili Zaitsev in there? :)

A couple of quick questions/observations:

1. If I understand this correctly, Pyotr serves on the Russian front for three years, then leaves Russia to join the Legion shortly after the war, serving until joining the paras in 1956. He's been a soldier for the better part of 14 years, but he's only second level in game terms - it seems to me that the objective, mechanical measure of his experience is not consistent with his personal history. Could you explain this in more detail? (I have a suggestion if you're interested.)

2. The Soviet Union in the late 1940s or early 1950s wasn't eager to let its citizens or its soldiers run off to join the French Foreign Legion, or for that matter do just about anything outside of the Motherland. How does he excape from Russia?

3. You can purchase the rifle if you'd like, but be advised your character won't be assigned formal sniper duties, at least initially, and he'll have to carry his Legion-issue MAS-49 to start. If Pyotr makes good use of Far Shot and Deadaim in action, that could change...

Both characters will be a good fit for this game - hopefully we'll get a couple of other players and characters soon!

Last edited:

Bobitron

Explorer
Hi Shaman!

I added my character's details above. I had a tough time deciding on my feats, I just spent 15 minutes going between Surgery, Educated, and Renown.:heh: I wanted to make someone a bit more well-rounded, so I didn't max out his science/medical aspect, and added in some good social skills. Do you think the Medical Expert feat would serve the unit better than Trustworthy?

As for equipment, I was considering purchasing a motorcycle, but it depends on how much it will get used in the campaign. Obviously I will need some medical equipment, and I suppose a pistol and rifle. Is the rifle the only issued weapon, or can you get an SMG or shotgun instead? I think it would better fit the character's medic status. Do you plan on posting a weapon list?

Let me know if you see any mistakes, or have any ideas about the character build. Thanks.

Last edited:

The Shaman

First Post
Bobitron said:
I added my character's details above. I had a tough time deciding on my feats, I just spent 15 minutes going between Surgery, Educated, and Renown.:heh:
I know the feeling! :)
Bobitron said:
I wanted to make someone a bit more well-rounded, so I didn't max out his science/medical aspect, and added in some good social skills. Do you think the Medical Expert feat would serve the unit better than Trustworthy?
Well, I can tell you that you're likely to get shot at a lot.
Bobitron said:
As for equipment, I was considering purchasing a motorcycle, but it depends on how much it will get used in the campaign. Obviously I will need some medical equipment, and I suppose a pistol and rifle. Is the rifle the only issued weapon, or can you get an SMG or shotgun instead? I think it would better fit the character's medic status. Do you plan on posting a weapon list?
I will include the standard equipment package in the Foreign Legion briefing section, hopefully today. The MAS M50 9mm pistol, the MAS-49 rifle, and the MAT-49 submachine gun are standard issue for les paras - all three are described in Weapons Locker, but I will also include the stats here for anyone who doesn't have the book. All of the characters will start with the MAS-49 rifle for the first adventure - characters interested in the SMG later on should consider investing in appropriate feats.

The motorcycle is interesting from a character standpoint - definitely goes with Marcel's personality! - but he probably won't have much chance to use it in the adventures for some time. If the unit needs to go somewhere, there are jeeps, Dodge weapons carriers, deuce-and-a-halfs, halftracks, and helecopters...and did I mention that the characters are all paratroopers? :)

I'll fine-tooth-comb the numbers later. Looks great at first glance.

Bobitron

Explorer
The Shaman said:
I know the feeling! :)

Well, I can tell you that you're likely to get shot at a lot.

I will include the standard equipment package in the Foreign Legion briefing section, hopefully today. The MAS M50 9mm pistol, the MAS-49 rifle, and the MAT-49 submachine gun are standard issue for les paras - all three are described in Weapons Locker, but I will also include the stats here for anyone who doesn't have the book. All of the characters will start with the MAS-49 rifle for the first adventure - characters interested in the SMG later on should consider investing in appropriate feats.

The motorcycle is interesting from a character standpoint - definitely goes with Marcel's personality! - but he probably won't have much chance to use it in the adventures for some time. If the unit needs to go somewhere, there are jeeps, Dodge weapons carriers, deuce-and-a-halfs, halftracks, and helecopters...and did I mention that the characters are all paratroopers? :)

I'll fine-tooth-comb the numbers later. Looks great at first glance.

Yeah, I figured I would make a medic. Usually plenty of people who want to play combat heavy sorts.

I think I will keep the stats as listed. My social skills should free up some room for other characters to specialize a bit.

No problem about the weapons. I have the book, so I'll check it out later. Will there be actual parachuting going on, ala WWII, or are they Paras in the more modern sense, like the US Airborne, utilized more as light infantry? I have a bad feeling about having to make a Jump check when parachuting, a solid chance of a broken leg would bite the big one.

Well, if we are going to be lugged around by military transport most of the time, I think I will keep my wealth open. Easier to buy all those beautiful women flowers ;) Plus it might come in handy with informants and such.

Remove ads