Winning Races: Gnomes

Festivus

First Post
First, there is NO way a Gnome can be a winner, period.

Second, I thought they were "monsters", yet the description before you read the article makes one stop to think that perhaps there are just a few bad apples out there:

Gnomes are a diminutive and inoffensive people, generally lacking the aggression and brutality found in other races.

What happened to "I'm a monster, RAWR!"?

All kidding aside, I would have liked to have seen a rogue power tossed in there. Even the article says gnomes are unlikely to take a leadership role... yet they give a bard power. :erm:

The residents of Athas are going to be very surprised when my players find and assemble the pieces of The Gate Wheel.

For on that day the primal barrier barring the return of gnome-kind to their true home will be unlocked.

On that day the fleet of gnomish spelljammers entering from the Astral Sea will darken the sun.

On that day the reckoning brought upon the sorcerer-kings will be terrible, as will it be upon the disgusting halflings who enabled the gnomish genocide.

On that day the gnomes will usher in the new Green Age, terraforming the blasted landscape into the pastoral homeworld they have been denied for so many aeons.

On that day...

fanboy2000

Adventurer
First, there is NO way a Gnome can be a winner, period.
I like Gnomes. Not enough to play one, but at least the people who do play Gnomes do not play them like Kender the way halfling players do. (Most common last words prior to halfling PC death: "Oooooh! Shiny!"

Second, I thought they were "monsters", yet the description before you read the article makes one stop to think that perhaps there are just a few bad apples out there:

<snip>

What happened to "I'm a monster, RAWR!"?
They were made a player race in PHB2? If your not kidding, and I suspect that you are kidding given the next thing I'm quoting from you, I'm not surprised that you didn't know because no one seems to play Gnomes anymore.

All kidding aside, I would have liked to have seen a rogue power tossed in there. Even the article says gnomes are unlikely to take a leadership role... yet they give a bard power. :erm:
It's Wizards' official motto "we don't suggest that you do that, but if your going to pay us, we'll suggest how to do it."

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
I'm more surprised that the picture gnome has regular eyes, instead of the all-black orbs 4e gnomes have. Maybe he infiltrated from a previous edition? But then his nose would be too small.

:)

I want stuff for gnome monks, dammit!

Mengu

First Post
I'm playing a gnome sorcerer, and was hoping for feats or an interesting PP. I'm not sure what to do with the Sorcerer Daily 5 in the article. Without any tools to go invisible intentionally (as opposed to via a coincidental triggered action), it seems difficult to get the best bang out of it. And I like Slaad's Gambit quite a bit as it's a two in one escape/attack power.

occam

Adventurer
I was caught off-guard by confounding laughter (7th-level warlock encounter attack power). No Hit line, just an Effect that says this:

You can slide the target 1 square. It then makes a melee basic attack against a target you choose. After that attack, you can again slide the target 1 square, and it makes another melee basic attack against a target you choose. Each time the target misses with an attack from this power, it takes psychic damage equal to your Intelligence modifier.

An encounter power that automatically makes any creature perform two MBAs that do extra damage to cursed enemies, and still does psychic damage to the target on misses? Wow.

Is that crazy good, or am I missing something?

Stormtalon

First Post
I like Gnomes. Not enough to play one, but at least the people who do play Gnomes do not play them like Kender the way halfling players do. (Most common last words prior to halfling PC death: "Oooooh! Shiny!"

Hey, I'll have you know I've played an angsty halfling before! It can be done. An angsty hafling swordsage with burn scars up one arm and on half his face (and the raised parts of the scars tattooed black).

But for the most part, you are correct, sir.

Such wonderful varieties of gnomes exist -- and 3 out of 4 dragons agree, they're all darn tasty!

Remove ads