Winning Races: Halfling - Nice

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Looked good to me :)

Oh, and I loved kits too. Some were silly for first level and it was good to see these become Prestige Classes in 3E. (Dragonslayer etc, I am looking at you). BUT there were some awesome beginning character ones that helped flesh a solid archetype for a player. In fact, I still have the 2E 'brown books' and often direct players to the kits and personality write-ups from those books during character development.

Sorry...back to halflings.

ferratus

Adventurer
I just can't get interested in post 2e halflings. I've tried to play one a couple times, but in the end they just bore me to tears and I wonder why I'm not playing a human so I can have the same flavour text but instead be tall enough to be strong, dashing, and do decent weapon damage.

The 4e gnome is an example of a small race done right and done interesting.

MrAlgothi

First Post
I really loved this article, despite not being a huge fan of Halflings. Im going to be quite pleased if all the Race Articles are going to be like this, with backgrounds, feats and items for build ideas.

I especially love the dice in the article, very useful without being overly powerful and still flavorful and interesting.

I am looking forward to next weeks Tiefling Article.

I especially love the dice in the article, very useful without being overly powerful and still flavorful and interesting.

They are overly powerful. They are overly powerful. This is one of the most potent magic items that WotC has ever published. This beats even Salves of Power. It is essentially a repackaged, improved, and personal version of the Glimpse the Future level 6 bard daily utility from page 10 of Arcane Power. This can be used to correct a failed saving throw, a missed encounter or daily attack, or a botched skill roll, and thank the Nine Divines if one of your three stored rolls is a natural 20. If you accidentally land a hit against an ally on a ranged or close power, you can retcon that out using one of your low stored rolls too.

Purchase two Dice of Auspicious Fortune at the paragon tier and three at the epic tier, and I assure you that you shall not regret it. Want to optimize the Dice further? Should you be an artificer, you can even recharge this magic item's daily power and even gain an additional magic item daily power use through the Use Magic Item level 2 daily utility power from page 49 of the Eberron Player's Guide. For a divine character, or a character with the Divine Channeler multiclass feat from page 144 of Divine Power, you can select the Creation Secret feat from page 144 of the same supplement. You then have a 50% chance of gaining an additional daily use of each set of Dice of Auspicious Fortune that you possess, and the funny bit is that if you roll a 9 or lower for the feat, you can use the Dice to amend that (particularly useful on a poor batch of rolls such as 2, 4, 10).

Phaezen

First Post
Between this article, the rogue article and the Martial Power article I have a very happy halfling thief player in my campaign.

Really liking this month in general so far.

Mentat55

First Post
I read the title of this thread and thought it was an article on Halfling foot races, which take longer because of small legs.
Ah, that made me chuckle. XP for you :)

For some reason, I really like the River-Born Ritualist feat, and the Halfling Short Bow Hunter is great for halfling rangers and seekers.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Dice of Auspicious Fortune reminds me of an Epic power... they're rather on the strong side, I'd say. Every character will want this.

Cooperative Chance is sweet.

Prime Beast Strike + Short Bow Hunter = Halflings are nasty archers.

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads