• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Winning Races: Halfling - Nice

Prime Beast Strike doesn't make much sense - what ranger would be eligible for this feat?

Beast Master rangers lose the Prime Shot feature, and as far as I can tell there isn't a way to regain it through a feat.

The only way to take this feat would be to be a Hybrid Ranger who used Hybrid Talent to take Beast Mastery, and then took paragon hybrid to get a second Hybrid Talent to get Prime Shot.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Dice of Auspicious Fortune reminds me of an Epic power... they're rather on the strong side, I'd say. Every character will want this.

Cooperative Chance is sweet.

Prime Beast Strike + Short Bow Hunter = Halflings are nasty archers.

Cheers, -- N

Unfortunately, it is technically impossible to qualify for Prime Beast Strike feat without the hybrid rules!

Cor Azer

First Post
Prime Beast Strike + Short Bow Hunter = Halflings are nasty archers.

Well, they would be (and might be) if the Prime Beast Strike gets errata - nobody can currently take it as far as I can tell, since you have to give up Prime Shot to take Beast Mastery, so you can't have both.

Whoa... double ninja'd

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Prime Beast Strike doesn't make much sense - what ranger would be eligible for this feat?

Unfortunately, it is technically impossible to qualify

you have to give up Prime Shot to take Beast Mastery, so you can't have both.
Yeah, I'm assuming they're going to fix the Prime Beast Strike feat to be usable, before final publication.

- - -

More attention to the overpowered dice, please!

Cheers, -- N

vagabundo

Adventurer
I'm going to give the Dice to my halfling player, maybe at her next level.

I'll keep them as a rare item; so they can only be found and never purchased.

MrAlgothi

First Post
They are overly powerful.

I don't feel the same way. Another player in my group plays an Elven High Mage, whose 'One with Magic' feature is very similar to this item. No one in my group has ever had an issue with this being too powerful. He often only gets a single good roll out of the ability, so its by no means a sure thing. The item also uses a daily magic power and can only be used once per encounter, which limits it above what the One with Magic feature allows. It is true that you can abuse it by buying multiple of these items, however that is not a problem that this item alone has. However adding a single line to the item stating that you can not have more then one of the dice active at any one time very easily fixes that problem. I will say however that the item is probably a few levels to low.

Cor Azer

First Post
More attention to the overpowered dice, please!

Cheers, -- N

Unfortunately, I'm not really seeing the overpoweredness; to me, they're effectively "two" steps up from the 5th level second chance bracers - kinda of a reroll, except you know the outcome and can use it in more situations.

That said, Ardent Champion avengers will love these - as long as one attack roll matches a stored roll, they can get a critical hit instead of waiting for both dice to match.

AllisterH

First Post
The dice suffer from two problems. One of which isn't really the fault of the dice themselves.

1. Not enough options many people want to use their dailies on ANYWAY. As mentioned before, magic items are weaker in 4e since the powers are supposed to do the majority of the heavy lifting so looking at other 5th level misc items, the dice are very good.

Rerolls have become very popular as one of the best features/powers/items to have but the real issue is the other items you can buy at that level are not as attractive to many.

2. The line "can only be subjected to one dice at a time". As the item mentions, you cant actually build up rerolls since every time a dice is rolled, it refreshes.

There's nothing preventing you from buying multiple dice though....totally legal, and totally against the spirit of the rules IMO. Really getting close to the "bag of rats" rule

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The dice suffer from two problems. One of which isn't really the fault of the dice themselves.

1. Not enough options many people want to use their dailies on ANYWAY. As mentioned before, magic items are weaker in 4e since the powers are supposed to do the majority of the heavy lifting so looking at other 5th level misc items, the dice are very good.

Rerolls have become very popular as one of the best features/powers/items to have but the real issue is the other items you can buy at that level are not as attractive to many.

2. The line "can only be subjected to one dice at a time". As the item mentions, you cant actually build up rerolls since every time a dice is rolled, it refreshes.

There's nothing preventing you from buying multiple dice though....totally legal, and totally against the spirit of the rules IMO. Really getting close to the "bag of rats" rule
Yep yep yep. At 11th level, this is a fine item to have ONE of in the party. At 21st level, they cost pocket change, but they are worth more than twice as much (thanks to Epic crit-enhancers). You should expect everyone to be storing 9 rolls after every extended rest.

Oh, and the low die rolls? That's just a way of saying thank you Mr. Wizard (or other area attacker). Sometimes, it's worthwhile to miss a target, because that target is your friend. In fact, my Wizard would love to pick up a set or two ASAP for exactly that purpose.

Those dice are broken, and there is no way to fix them.

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads