Winter Fantasy?

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I haven't seen any threads on the big Winter Fantasy convention coming up this weekend. Is anyone from here going? Can you post any info you have, keep us updated during the event of "new releases" and big events? Maybe post a recap after it is over? Thanks. :)

Jim Butler

Explorer
Bastion Press will be at Winter Fantasy, armed with a digital camera and copies of both Minions: Fearsome Foes and Arms & Armor.

Hope to see a lot of you there!

Acmite

First Post
Living Greyhawk Turmoil

With the changes in Living Greyhawk that rolled out on Saturday (and the rumours and Triad resigniations that preceeded them), I've heard of a lot of last minute cancellations.

Many people seem to be upset with the changes, and are showing WotC by cancelling their pilgrimages to Winter Fantasy.

If I had the cash and time, I wouldn't miss it. I've never really been to a Con before (there aren't a whole lot of them in the Canadian prairies, you know).

I'm actually looking forward to a potential Ontario EN Member meet!

applenerd

First Post
Re: Living Greyhawk Turmoil

Acmite said:
With the changes in Living Greyhawk that rolled out on Saturday (and the rumours and Triad resigniations that preceeded them), I've heard of a lot of last minute cancellations.

Many people seem to be upset with the changes, and are showing WotC by cancelling their pilgrimages to Winter Fantasy.

What changes occurred? Do you have a link with more info on the topic? I've been kind of curious about LG stuff lately since my current campaign is in GreyHawk.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Winter Fantasy is the big winter convention that takes place in Fort Wayne, Indiana. There's more info on the Wizards site here-

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=rpga/winterfantasy

The big changes for LG, if you can call them that, actually have to do with the release of information that's been in the pipeline for quite a while and has mostly to do with what stuff from the Class Books will be allowed in LG, Meta-Gaming Rules and info on a new format to clarify handling of "Certs". More info on that here-

http://living-greyhawk.com/knowledge/cache/34.html

(The new stuff is in the RUP-1, RUP-2, and RUP-3 downloads located beyond the links on that page.)

As far as the turnover in Triad members, and C06 persons, it's a volunteer organization. The best thing, IMO, that can ever happen is a regular turnover as Triad and Co6 members find they have time to sit on a Triad or the Co6, and step down when they no longer have time or energy to be productive or effective. The majority of Triad and Co6 members have done great work and some simply don't have the time and energy to continue to be part of the team that exists. Hopefully they have passed (or will pass) on the knowledge they have accrued to make it easy for a transition to take place.

Regardless, the structure is such that one, or even two, members of a Triad should be able to take a break and allow new blood to pick up the ball and run with it for a year or two without huge problems. IMO, anyone who is stepping down and isn't doing their best to prep their incoming replacement, doesn't really have their heart in the right place and needs to re-assess why they got involved in the first place. It's voluntary and you get from it what you make of it. It really needs to be approached with a "What can I give" and not a "What can I get" attitude for it to function well. I think most of the people in those positions knew, and still know, that.

I only mention these opinions here because they seem to be a major part of the posting in other places where a lot is being said, but little volunteering is happening. As a DM (I don't run a character, myself) I have jumped on board almost every single effort to create LG playing opportunities in my region within my own area. I signed on at GenCon to run RPGA events, and when they came up long on DMs, and short on players, I stepped aside so that others could DM (who were offsetting their travel expenses being alotted Con fees in exchange for judging). Things weren't that tight for me at that particular time and it seemed the right thing to do. Judging at Cons is a good way to make them more affordable if anyone has shied away from the big events because of funding problems.

I should also mention that I've been amazed at the great work being done in the trenches, above and beyond the Triad, specifically in the Chicago area in the region of Verbobonc (where I am located). People like Brad Ruby (who has recently become a Triad member), Mike Maenza, Scott Furlong, Jeff Belau, and Josh Brown do vast amounts of work to bring events to the Chicago area for Living Greyhawk and I'm not the only one who appreciates it. The driving force for these fellows is the wish to organize gamedays and conventions in this area and promote as much play as possible. They often wind up running so much (Games and Organizing) that the only chance they get to play is in the "Slot Zero" events (which are pre-con games run to facilitate DMs getting used to modules and running them more effectively and also give them a chance to play). I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that I have met Verbobonc Triad member Lon Lademan and think highly of him, as well. I think he does everything he can to support the efforts of the Chicago events organizers and I know he will continue to do so.

I'm continually impressed by their devotion to building these events, and this region, and will continue to support them in their efforts as a DM for Living Greyhawk here in Verbobonc. With the fellows I mentioned above at the helm, I feel confident that when GenCon moves to our region in 2003 we'll have a competent and, dare I say, impressive organization to assist handling the "Big Show" as far as supporting the whole RPGA GenCon events, through LG, is concerned. I look forward to helping make it all happen!

Last edited:

Remove ads