D&D 5E winter wolf pelt - how much should it cost and what does it do?

Mark1733

Explorer
So, I think I will go with 250-300 gp and provide the following:
  • advantage on stealth in arctic/snowy/tundra terrain (it's pure white)
  • advantage on CON saves vs. avoiding exhaustion (light, extra soft, and yet provides ample insulation)
  • advantage on reflex saves against cold damage (sheds snow and ice easily)
In this instance, I am saying that the pelt was simply skinned and not "treated" to retain all it's extraordinary properties. The advantages it provides are due to the natural, innate qualities of the hide and fur, but nothing magical and therefore does not require attunement.

If treated properly to retain the more "unexplainable," there could be a additional benefits. But that will be if they are able to defeat and recover one.

R_J_K75

Legend
Its an expensive coat that works like a regular fur coat and is also a status symbol because its hard to get?
If they want the cloak, they can always quest to the Playa Haters Ball.

Attachments

• PHB.jpg
    PHB.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 48

Quickleaf

Legend
Running a 3rd level adventure. I would like the winter wolf pelt to provide something special against cold, but not sure what would be OP and how much it would cost. Previous D&D versions had such an item providing a resistance of 5 against cold damage, but also made the wearer more vulnerable to fire-based attacks. I would like it to have an advantage against cold damage, without the downside. Depending on how that plays out, what would be a reasonable cost?

What about a polar bear pelt?

I also gave both advantage on stealth in tundra/snowy environments. Again, what would be a good price.

Mark
Been writing an adventure, and the value for winter wolf pelts I use is... at a max 1/10th the AD&D value (AD&D monstrous manual said 5,000 gp). So for me it is...

"A winter wolf pelt fetches 250 to 500 gp in Nashkel depending on its condition."

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
  • advantage on stealth in arctic/snowy/tundra terrain (it's pure white)
Sure, but this should apply to ANY white clothing. ;)

• advantage on CON saves vs. avoiding exhaustion (light, extra soft, and yet provides ample insulation)
Yep, a nice heavy cloak helps--nothing magical about this. Not even as good as if you were wearing full cold winter clothing.

• advantage on reflex saves against cold damage (sheds snow and ice easily)
This is strong IMO since cold winter clothing doesn't help with these, and a cloak isn't even a full suit of clothing. For a nonmagical item, I think the first two are sufficient and this is overkill, but if you're happy with it, that's fine of course.

Since this wasn't treated, it will deteriorate eventually.

In this instance, I am saying that the pelt was simply skinned and not "treated" to retain all it's extraordinary properties.
Now, I would like to emphasize that the extraordinary properties vs. cold for a Winter Wolf is not due to just its pelt, but it's entire make-up.

The advantages it provides are due to the natural, innate qualities of the hide and fur, but nothing magical and therefore does not require attunement.
So, any thick hide would do? The polar bear, a walrus, etc.?

I agree, it certainly would not need attunement, it isn't magical at all. Now, it could become magical, in which case granting resistance to cold damage would be appropriate IMO.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Winter Wolf Pelt (Cloak)
While wearing this item you have advantage on saves against cold damage, Additionally you learn the cantrips Frostbite and Primal Savagery and can cast the spell Wild Cunning as a 1st level ritual, If you have an existing spellcasting stat use that, if not then use WIS as your spellcasting modifier.

I have no idea where to even start guessing at a price for the item so I won’t even try.

MarkB

Legend
I'll go with a reverse of the protection-from-cold thing, since winter wolves actually produce cold. If worn as a cloak it's actually quite chilling - no actual damage, but disadvantage against cold weather effects.

However, fashion it into a container and it can be made into a large backpack. Any food, drink or meat kept inside it will be kept cold and preserved, allowing it to be carried without going bad for four times longer than if stored normally.

Remove ads