D&D 5E Wish: additional 9th level slot

Iry

Hero
"After enduring that stress, each time you Cast a Spell until you finish a Long Rest, you take 1d10 necrotic damage per level of that spell. This damage can't be reduced or prevented in any way. In addition, your Strength drops to 3, if it isn't 3 or lower already, for 2d4 days."

I would grant the wish, but whenever they use the slot they take 9d10 necrotic damage and get their strength reduced to 3 for 2d4 days.

Last edited:

Fanaelialae

Legend
I would warn them that there was a high risk of the wish going bad, potentially even character ending degrees of catastrophic, and give them a chance to change their mind.

If they insisted, I would roll for it and base the result on a combination of the phrasing of the wish and a roll of the d20. On a 1 the results would be catastrophic. Perhaps they lose all spell slots except their one "extra" 9th level slot. On a 20, they get exactly what they wish for, an extra 9th level spell slot. On a 10 or 11 the wish doesn't do anything, because they tried to push the limits of mortal magic too far and it simply failed. In between those values they'd get varying degrees of success / failure. A 15, for example, might be an extra 9th level slot that only recharges once a month. A 5 might mean you get the extra slot but lose half of your other slots.

Regardless of the outcome, they would still need to roll the 33% chance (although IMC that works a little differently) and they would have the weakness associated with casting wish.

Note that I only go this route when players try to abuse wish. A more reasonable wish (in line with the examples from the spell description) would not run the additional risk.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I might allow it, kind of. The wish would grant them an orb. Breaking the orb as an action would grant them the ability to cast a 9th level spell they know (except wish) without expending a spell slot.

If they wanted anything more than that, like a permanent extra 9th level spell slot, each time it's cast would cause 9d10 Necrotic damage, and reduce their strength to 3 for 2d4 days.

My opinion is that while wish can warp reality, the scales still need to be balanced. The energy to power the wish has to come from somewhere.

I also don't allow any spellcasters to know the wish spell or be able to add it to their spell book. I treat the wish spell almost like the spell equivalent of an artifact. But that's my table, YMMV.

Last edited:

Fanaelialae

Legend
I might allow it, kind of. The wish would grant them an orb. Breaking the orb as an action would grant them the ability to cast a 9th level spell they know (except wish) without expending a spell slot.

If they wanted anything more than that, like a permanent extra 9th level spell slot, each time it's cast would cause 9d10 Necrotic damage, reduce their strength to 3, for 2d4 days.

My opinion is that while wish can warp reality, the scales still need to be balanced. The energy to power the wish has to come from somewhere.

I also don't allow any spellcasters to know the wish spell or be able to add it to their spell book. I treat the wish spell almost like the spell equivalent of an artifact. But that's my table, YMMV.
I allow wish to be cast by mages, however it is known that there are greater magics than even a wish, albeit beyond the grasp of mortals.

A god can grant wishes that would be normally beyond the potential of a wish, particularly within their domain of interest. There are also potentially artifact level items that can be found within my campaigns that can also do so.

In one of my campaigns (that I ran for two different groups) I dropped in a cursed wish ring with one wish remaining that had the potential to do literally anything. However, the ring was malevolent and would automatically pervert or twist the intent of the wish, regardless of phrasing. Both of the groups debated long and hard about using the ring before hiding it away on multiple occasions. And both groups ended up using it in ways that took the campaign in new and interesting directions (one group used it to erase the "final boss" of the campaign, while the other group used it to make one of themselves a king). Both wishes bit them in the butt, although in a satisfactory way that no one was upset about. It was more that the ring automatically solved one problem while simultaneously creating a new problem they'd have to deal with.

Remove ads