D&D 5E Wish: additional 9th level slot

I think a different issue is, if it's possible, why isn't everyone doing it? It doesn't seem likely that the PCs are the first people to see whatever exploit they're looking to use, if it's real. If you allow one PC to use Wish for a second 9th-level slot, then it seems to me as though there should logically be other wizards who have wished for that, and maybe a third, or a fourth, etc.

If you want some rationale, you could have the PC be the first to discover the Wish spell in your universe. After all, rules are not supposed to apply equally to the NPCs. However, in my world, I am very clear that the opposition will play smart and any trick used by the player will be used by their antagonist in the same position. Given 5e wizard NPC low staying power, I don't think granting them 4 9th level spells is too much, they will hardly be able to use them all...

Ace

Adventurer
2 x ninth level slots isn't unbalancing, just do it the honest way. Get to 20th level and earn another 30k xp for your first Epic boon. Done.

I don't use epic boons myself and am very unlikely to play to that high a level so its moot for me but its fair and R.A.W. so were I a PC in your game, I couldn't complain .

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
I could see this situation happening.

The party is desperate, absolutely no time to waste, need to True Resurrect 2 legendary heroes, must be them, Cleric has one 9th level slot. Wizard says 'to heck with it - I Wish the cleric could cast True Rez twice today.'

Cleric gets 2 x 9th level slots for that day.

Wiz does their 33% dice roll.

That would give compelling narrative context, embody teamwork, move the plot forward, and come with real risk for the player.

That would be a-okay by me.

Greenfield

Adventurer
In older D&D , beyond the power of the spell otherwise every wizard would do it.

In 5E I think I'd allow it with the usual 1-3 chance of losing the ability to cast Wish.
In 3.5 you could explicitly Wish for a Feat, and there were two Feats that might apply.

One gave you a new spell (for Sorcerers and Bards mostly), and the other gave you an extra spell slot.

That was the only way to gain Epic spell slots, since you didn't gain them from level advancement.

So in that particular edition, it wasn't simply allowed, it was more or less mainstream when it came to Epic level characters.

Fanaelialae

Legend
In 3.5 you could explicitly Wish for a Feat, and there were two Feats that might apply.

One gave you a new spell (for Sorcerers and Bards mostly), and the other gave you an extra spell slot.

That was the only way to gain Epic spell slots, since you didn't gain them from level advancement.

So in that particular edition, it wasn't simply allowed, it was more or less mainstream when it came to Epic level characters.
I haven't looked at 3.5 in some time but that doesn't sound right to me.

I don't recall wish explicitly allowing feats to be gained.

Moreover, I'm basically certain that it wasn't required to gain epic spell slots. As you gained levels beyond 20 you gained epic feats. Which you could use to gain epic spell slots. The way to gain epic spell slots was to gain epic levels.

Ultimately though it doesn't really matter what an older edition allowed wish to do. 5e isn't those previous editions. What is balanced in one edition is not necessarily balanced for another.

I haven't looked at 3.5 in some time but that doesn't sound right to me.

I don't recall wish explicitly allowing feats to be gained.

Moreover, I'm basically certain that it wasn't required to gain epic spell slots. As you gained levels beyond 20 you gained epic feats. Which you could use to gain epic spell slots. The way to gain epic spell slots was to gain epic levels.

That's about how I remember it too.

Ace

Adventurer

This was probably a house rule from your group.

The 3.5 SRD still here allows the increase in an ability score or quoting

"You may try to use a wish to produce greater effects than these, but doing so is dangerous. (The wish may pervert your intent into a literal but undesirable fulfillment or only a partial fulfillment.) "

Epic feats are acquired quoted

At 21st level, and every three levels thereafter, the character may select an epic feat in place of a nonepic feat.

Each character class gains bonus epic feats according to the class description. These feats must be selected from the list of bonus epic feats for that class.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

What would be your ruling if a Wizard wished to have an additional 9th level slot?

"OK. You now have 2 9th level spell slots. You also have 0 spell slots for all other levels. Next time, be more specific on how you word your wish". [Evil DM Grin]

LOL! :) That said, I'd probably just not allow it. Or I would allow it but there would be some serious drawbacks. As it stands, the highest level PC anyone has ever managed to attain in any of my 5e games was 7th level. So I'm not that worried about "the wording of wishes". When/if we ever get there, I'll make sure to default to 1e standard for rulings (which I do for just about anything that comes up in game anyway...so my players wouldn't be 'surprised' by it).

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Remove ads